The cost of standby on your amp

leenorris78

1 hour ago, wHIZZY said:

But seriously, aren't these devices likely to generate noise from their inbuilt SMPSs and won't that find its way to the amps in your speakers?

I have never heard any issues. It would be interesting however to have any other wammer’s personal experience of using them with amps and whether they have had any sq issues. One generally needs to have a sensitive circuit to generate the audible IMD such as the analogue stage in a dac and I’m not sure that such a mechanism exists in an amp. 

When I get the big ATC 150 into a larger room so that I can easily get to the rear power switches I will probably stop using the remote controlled sockets. I only use them now because it is very difficult to reach to the rear located switches. 

11 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Photo upload sorted with thanks to advisors.

Not sure it was worth the effort... 🤣

On 15/09/2021 at 22:24, TheFlash said:

cue sanctimony: 100% of my electrickery both in Kendal and here in Leicestershire is renewable. As is the electrickery at the gym I own. Price premium is zero-to-modest; seriously, I was pleasantly surprised.

Nigel  I am sure you realise that comment is not completely true, you maybe paying a green tariff but in the words of Octopus energy.

It’s important to remember that when you sign up with a renewable energy supplier, we don’t pump green energy through a separate ‘green grid’ straight to your home. Instead, all energy sources – whether “green” or “dirty” – get mixed together when they’re fed through the wires that lead to your home.

The premium you pay goes towards investing in green energy technology, but you knew that, right.

Sorry to be pedantic, must have got out of bed on the wrong side, Now to go and switch those amps on :) 

4 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Nigel  I am sure you realise that comment is not completely true, you maybe paying a green tariff but in the words of Octopus energy.

It’s important to remember that when you sign up with a renewable energy supplier, we don’t pump green energy through a separate ‘green grid’ straight to your home. Instead, all energy sources – whether “green” or “dirty” – get mixed together when they’re fed through the wires that lead to your home.

The premium you pay goes towards investing in green energy technology, but you knew that, right.

Sorry to be pedantic, must have got out of bed on the wrong side, Now to go and switch those amps on :) 

That's a good point.

He's probably getting really dirty power and somebody else is getting his clean renewable power... 🥴

Does dirty power make ‘grime’ sound any better or enhance it etc . :rofl:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greybeard said:

Apology accepted. You’re being pedantic in part, which is permitted under the AUP 😊 but are wrong also. See below.

Of course I know that the actual electricity which arrives at my consumer unit does not contain special electrons made by a windmill. But the equivalent of the electricity I buy is generated today from a renewable source. I’m not simply investing in future renewable energy. 

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Griff500 said:

That's a good point.

He's probably getting really dirty power and somebody else is getting his clean renewable power... 🥴

It’s not a really good point at all. It’s a red (or green!) herring. See my reply.

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2021 at 16:08, Griff500 said:

My amps are in my speakers and use, apparently, 40W per speaker when idle. I can't be doing with trying to access the power switch on each of them each time I want to listen to music and then again when I have finished.

Why is it so difficult for you to switch two switches off? There's no upside to leaving the amp packs switched on.

6 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

Why is it so difficult for you to switch two switches off? There's no upside to leaving the amp packs switched on.

There is a possible upside which is that the amp circuits are not subject to frequent start inrushes of current into the amps. This may mean fewer component failures.

The bottom line is that if Griff500 wants to leave them on 24/7 I guess he can do just that. I leave my hifi on 24/7 apart from my Pass Labs power amps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

There is a possible upside which is that the amp circuits are not subject to frequent start inrushes of current into the amps. This may mean fewer component failures.

The bottom line is that if Griff500 wants to leave them on 24/7 I guess he can do just that. I leave my hifi on 24/7 apart from my Pass Labs power amps.

The amp packs have "soft start", or somesuch, don't they? I've been switching active ATCs on and off for well over twenty years now....

I'm aware that people can do whatever they like. This forum demonstrates all sorts of behaviours.

• Like 1

I would imagine that most people turning a system on and off will do so only one or two times a day, rather than multiple times. Any component that's going to fail after a couple of thousand power cycles because it's not properly designed to manage the power cycle probably isn't fit for purpose, I'd suggest

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I have never heard any issues. It would be interesting however to have any other wammer’s personal experience of using them with amps and whether they have had any sq issues. One generally needs to have a sensitive circuit to generate the audible IMD such as the analogue stage in a dac and I’m not sure that such a mechanism exists in an amp. 

When I get the big ATC 150 into a larger room so that I can easily get to the rear power switches I will probably stop using the remote controlled sockets. I only use them now because it is very difficult to reach to the rear located switches. 

ATC amp pack on classic series active speakers takes 70-90W when idle, per speaker. So just keeping them on takes 140-180W of power and more when you play music through them. It's unfortunate that ATC doesn't build standby mode on their amp packs, it's either on or off. I always turn them off when not in use. I e-mailed ATC about this and they recommended to switch them off always when not in use for next 8+ hours. I'm not sure where they came up with this number though. 

Also I strongly recommend against those remote controlled switches. I experimented with similar switches which worked through Apple HomeKit so I could control them from my iPhone. They clearly affected the sound quality restricting dynamics and making them sound more flat and boring. 

Edited by Patu
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patu said:

I e-mailed ATC about this and they recommended to switch them off always when not in use for next 7-8 hours.

So you should turn them off but when you do then you are not supposed to use them again for 7 or 8 hours? 🤔

Did they say why they recommend switching them off or is it just for their green credentials? I seem to recall the recommendation being not to keep turning them on and off...

Edited by Griff500

6 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

So you should turn them off but when you do then you are not supposed to use them again for 7 or 8 hours? 🤔

Direct quote:

Sorry for the slow reply.

We would suggest that if our electronic products are not going to be used for 8+ hrs or more you turn them off.

At idle they consume 40W.

Kind Regards,

Ben Lilly.  ATC.

I asked this when I still had 40A's so the idle power consumption mentioned is for 40A. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patu said:

Direct quote:

Sorry for the slow reply.

We would suggest that if our electronic products are not going to be used for 8+ hrs or more you turn them off.

At idle they consume 40W.

Kind Regards,

Ben Lilly.  ATC.

I asked this when I still had 40A's so the idle power consumption mentioned is for 40A. 

Well that makes more sense then. 🤣

• Like 1