To add a subwoofer to a Keltik system or not?

I'm not really sure why I'm asking this question as I have the hardware to test it for myself, but I wondered what others thought first.

I have an Exakt system running Keltik loudspeakers. Now, these speakers have plenty of lovely detailed Isobarik bass which I LOVE. But, should I add a subwoofer too?

I have an Exaktbox Sub and a Majik 126 subwoofer from a previous system which I could add at no extra cost.

My current setup consists of a ASH/AEB-I/Keltik combination. Should I add a subwoofer to get even deeper bass (if that's possible) or is that just adding more confusion into what the Keltiks are currently producing?

I really don't want to add anything that might take away from the stunning bass of the Keltiks but if adding a sub might add something then I'm all up for that.

I'm a real advocate for the addition of a subwoofer into any 'normal' system to achieve a fuller sound. But one that already uses Isobarik loudspeakers?

What do people think?

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 2

• SnapperMike changed the title to To add a subwoofer to a Keltik system or not?

I'm dying to hear the eventual outcome! Picture attached is WAY off topic, but cool! The spine of mountains means, at present, I'm warm and dry!

Screenshot_20210911-171953.png

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 1

No harm in trying, as you have the kit on hand. It will add another source of bass from another position, so should improve the way SO addresses the room modes (I forget the technicalities). However, it may not be as tuneful as the 126 might not be as accurate as the isobarik systems. I used a Sizmik 10.25 with aktiv Kabers, which worked well, but I think I would have tried a Melodik with the Keltiks.

I don’t think you’ll get any “deeper” bass. From memory, the sub rolls off from 19Hz.

Be interesting to hear how you get on.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I'm dying to hear the eventual outcome! Picture attached is WAY off topic, but cool! The spine of mountains means, at present, I'm warm and dry!

Screenshot_20210911-171953.png

But you'll need your brolly later! Blimey, those temps are far too high for me. 

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 11.47.54.jpg

• Upvote 1

I used a REL Stadium Sub for many years with Aktiv Kabers (initially analogue active and later Exakt) with great results. When I upgraded to Akubariks I tried the sub in stereo support with ExaktSub Box and found no benefit at all, if anything the system sounded worse (muffled somehow?). I now have it doing LFE mode duty only for surround sound. As mentioned above it is easy enough to try and should be obvious whether it works or not.

• Like 1

I went from a M109+REL T/5i combination to passive Akubariks (only). With that switch I didn’t feel the need for an additional sub. And if, I believe the small REL had to be exchanged with a bigger brother in that case. The isobaric configuration is well matched to the rest of the registers and thus no fiddling with integration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

But you'll need your brolly later! Blimey, those temps are far too high for me. 

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 11.47.54.jpg

Thirty three is an early fall day. Wednesday I was riding home on my scooter and I commented to myself it was a lovely fall day, probably 31ish. Not bracing, but I could sense the back of summer had been broken.

• Like 1

The amount of bass (both depth and weight) is more than enough for me in my room so it's not anything I would even consider. The Keltik's can be quite frightening when I really give things some welly so I have no need to and if I did want more I could do so by adjusting the crossovers. I assume you have done this and your speakers are not being curtailed by the crossovers? Some years ago when I acquired my LK100 amps and speakers I was very non plused by my speakers but then on investigation I found the crossovers were very badly set up and by the time I had finished things were very different. Today I have Majik 4200 amps and Chakra crossovers so I made sure I got things right from the off infact I could have even more if I wanted.

4 hours ago, OldLinn said:

The amount of bass (both depth and weight) is more than enough for me in my room so it's not anything I would even consider. The Keltik's can be quite frightening when I really give things some welly so I have no need to and if I did want more I could do so by adjusting the crossovers. I assume you have done this and your speakers are not being curtailed by the crossovers? Some years ago when I acquired my LK100 amps and speakers I was very non plused by my speakers but then on investigation I found the crossovers were very badly set up and by the time I had finished things were very different. Today I have Majik 4200 amps and Chakra crossovers so I made sure I got things right from the off infact I could have even more if I wanted.

Thanks Graham,

Yes, I know what you mean. The power and depth of the bass of the Keltiks continues to surprise and impress me. It was just because I already have the hardware of an Exaktbox Sub and Subwoofer that I'm interested in what's possible. Once I find some clear time I will add those to my system and compare.

I'm running Exakt with a ASH and Exaktbox-I amplification so that's where the crossovers reside. I could certainly add more bass using SO as I'm currently using Space with the Linn 'out of the box' unadjusted settings for my setup and room.

Out of interest Graham is the room you're using your Keltiks carpeted? Mine is and I've been using spikes through the carpet into the wooden floorboards. I'b be interested in what isolation feet such as Gaia's can offer. How are yours attached to the ground?

Mike.

On 13/09/2021 at 20:31, SnapperMike said:

Thanks Graham,

Yes, I know what you mean. The power and depth of the bass of the Keltiks continues to surprise and impress me. It was just because I already have the hardware of an Exaktbox Sub and Subwoofer that I'm interested in what's possible. Once I find some clear time I will add those to my system and compare.

I'm running Exakt with a ASH and Exaktbox-I amplification so that's where the crossovers reside. I could certainly add more bass using SO as I'm currently using Space with the Linn 'out of the box' unadjusted settings for my setup and room.

Out of interest Graham is the room you're using your Keltiks carpeted? Mine is and I've been using spikes through the carpet into the wooden floorboards. I'b be interested in what isolation feet such as Gaia's can offer. How are yours attached to the ground?

Mike.

Hi Mike. I actually built my room about 10 years ago so I can tell you exactly how it's built. Some of my ideas I feel have worked but others have not. Firstly I am in the uk so3 of the walls are thermolite with plasterboard dabbed and then skimmed and one is actual brick (its an extension) with plasterboard dabbed and plastered. The ceiling is not level (which I regret for sound reasons) but not for spacious aesthetics. the floor is 175mm thick concrete sat on 150mm of Celotex insulation. On top of the concrete is screwed 28mm battens and then Oak finished flooring that floats and is not fixed down. Mt speakers sit on 22mm thick granite and then their spikes as normal. I have of course experimented with removal of the spikes and sat both on and off the granite and on dense rubber feet but this did not work well at all. The granite was an experiment that has worked well and only the pandemic has stopped me visiting my local granite man to have some cut properly and I really must get round to doing it. I have a fairly thick wool rug on the floor in front.

IMG_1300.JPG

• Like 1