Easy way to stream from laptop?

A friend of mine wants me to bring over my Majik DSM/2 to his place to plug into his system and play some music.  Internet won't be possible, but if I bring some FLACs over, what's an easy way to stream from his laptop?  

The only way I can see him experiencing the mdsm won’t be streaming due to the lack of internet, but if he has an older MacBook with an optical out you can feed that to the toslink in on the mdsm. You’re only gone get to experience the dac and preamp section. (the poweramp, if you’re using speaker connections from the mdsm)

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K200

Have a look at Linn docs https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Introduction_To_DS_Concepts

You will find this block scheme.

The laptop needs a media server, for instance Kazoo Server and a control point, say Kazoo. Of course a wired network connection between the MDSM and the laptop is also required. But since no Internet is present at your friend’s the tricky part is to install the necessary software.

9303CD9B-5775-4E08-AFAB-C152A3B4E1CB.jpeg

I would load a trial copy of JRiver Media Centre (lasts 30 days) - use the import option under tools and import the folder holding the music (this can be on a stick) - under Tools > Options turn on the Media Server - you should now be able to select Music in the Linn App or Kazoo to play on the MDSM/2 

image.png.f7b548e4b2b761181ff9c1f2477ec7a5.png

JRiver MC is the one I use, but any DLNA or UPnP software should work. My assumption is a trial licence has never been used and expired on the laptop previously. 

Edited by Nestor Turton

No internet? No problems! You can bring your own network. Bring your router and some Ethernet cables. I did this exact thing with my MDSM two weekends ago. I put a bunch of music on my ThinkPad, plugged it, and the DSM, into an old router I had lying around, and used Foobar 2000 and Songcast to get the music into the DSM. There probably are some compromises in ultimate sound quality in that chain, but it'll get you going. I was thinking about doing a music server on the Stinkpad, and then using my phone with kazoo, but this saved that hassle.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your wisdom guys.

I should have been more specific about the internet at my friend's place.  He has internet, but we won't have a wired connection to his system.  So downloading some software onto his laptop is no problem.  

It looks like @HansBertil 's or @Nestor Turton 's method will be the easiest because I won't need a router.

11 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

He has internet, but we won't have a wired connection to his system. 

Well... in that case, all you need would be some kind of extension to allow ethernet next to his system.

Wifi Bridge comes to mind, or some kind of DLAN (LAN over power sockets)