UK HiFi Show - Daventry 9th - 10th October

bencat

wonderful man ... good to see he is still going strong  

• Like 1

thanks so much for all those taking the time to do pics and write  for those who couldnt go . really appreciated 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

🤣

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Andrew @bencat mentioned a gift he gave me. What a big heart the man has! Not sure its tenure in the lounge will last more than the afternoon but the backlighting is what makes it magical.

Thanks Andrew!

FA3B2737-F0E5-48D8-A046-2EB41391BD5D.thumb.jpeg.f4b305ada942a864da9a2a3a810ac664.jpeg

Thanks Nigel your very welcome but you do know it's the wrong way round ? Just saying and for once I know I am right because I made it 

Edited by bencat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Round 2 and as Duvet II mentioned them:

IMG_0082.thumb.JPG.8f3f6bf746b5cac1d55478e8cea24fbd.JPG

IMG_0083.thumb.JPG.35d58f94b3463e9011c4748551b61b35.JPG

Silbatone amplifiers and a TAD speaker.

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.c4daa23d5e885c1e5b8ace3d03664a88.JPG

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.8e3fe617d0fdbba6d0d561d301470937.JPG

Tom Willis with his Art products.

IMG_0081.thumb.JPG.c1598c91001b00280ab55487ae4ffeea.JPG

IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.31264ea8d644e0be3e4ac2933ac383d7.JPG

IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.681b3d766409f8d08e0aa9c3bbdf47c1.JPG

These speakers were 'home-made' (looked brilliant) and are not YET available. Solid wood from the Sevenoaks storm.

Audionote (2)

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.635249fc60e0766f9b4f79291be6b1db.JPGIMG_0073.thumb.JPG.fdec7dd9adc9ba10f27ed8ba673ef76e.JPGIMG_0074.thumb.JPG.ce874fc64cf8c2150efb7bb0a279b6d0.JPG

Excellent support system a la cardboard box.

Finally Icon Audio

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.d1d8597798e164f71c354857145f0c90.JPG

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.4b481a2245246ad229e1f890dc054b4e.JPGIMG_0076.thumb.JPG.16f9e305c2e8e40442a69dbd605fd739.JPG

• Like 3

@DUVET II is the venue a suitable one for the Wam show or is it too up market? :nerves:

• Like 1

Having the chance to sit and relax after the Grand kids have been taken away ,, I gotta say Diane is a rock taking them on single handedly yesterday and with an extra dog that doesn’t do cats well  while I indulged at the show ..Listening to one of my purchases , it just proves to me that it “is” about the room .. There where some lovely bits of kit yesterday that were not done the justice they rightly deserve . The sad point being that at  an event such as a Hifi show you have to “grip” the listener by the hairs on there necks .. In so many cases that just didn’t happen to me ..I won’t be changing anything in my main system anytime soon .. But as mentioned earlier and by others we are grateful to have a chance to test the waters again .Glad to see the Vincent hybrid powering some very affordable speakers in the Vinyl Passion gig . Onwards and upwards to the Wam show ..

• Like 4

To me room of the show . Spoke to Jonathon Billingnton  . Such lovely man . If you have a small 10x 10 room its all you need . The Jordan speakers gave scale and depth they had no right to but I guess you have to play to the strength of the room and not the what you perceive to be the strength of the system. What I mean by that is some trade just had speakers too big for the space. So John's set up of a stereo Nagra reel to reel accompanied by a mono while the stereo was in rewind mode ( thoughtful) with an MFA pre and mono's was stunning . The battery powered portable spy reel  with manual rewind may become my precious.   Another knockout room for me was the Aretai Contra 100 speakers http://www.aretai.com. The soundstage vast with depth but not affected by any room refection. I am not going to criticise any rooms because it was just nice to be at a show  after a long time and this is a new venue so I expect a big improvement next year. Roy Bird  and I had a chat and we hope to form closer ties as a forum and Chester group by helping and promoting each other where we can . I did succumb to buying the new Bluesounf Node 2021 with remote at a show deal of  £500 . I need  an interim solution but as an all in one Roon endpoint its very impressive for the money . I may just need an external dac at some point but no rush . 

The Jordan speakers were impressive for their size although I imagine the complimentary amplification with tapes made it work so well. A welcome surprise was the icon Audio 300b headphone amp (btw am not a headphone fan but wanted to hear the amp). By comparison I listened to their 1920’s valve model and the Macintosh headphone amp via the dCS streamer (from another room) and preferred the icon Audio 300b model. The headphone room was good in that you could select your own music (from tidal etc). Kudos to the folks running that room as lots of kit that ranged from affordable to two years family holidays.
Wholeheartedly second all the praise for Roy Bird for the show he put together and getting things back to normal. Also great to hear views from other Wammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I have been a very sporadic visitor to shows, put off by music choices primarily. However, how nice that they can actually go ahead once more and like minded souls can get together. Roll on local bakeoffs and the Wam show. Thanks for the photographs and reviews, everyone.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

It was good to go to a show feels like life's getting back to normal and of course 

i like to Thank Roy, for putting it on and not cancelling it!

there was couple rooms i was pleased see that stood out from the crowd 

but after 30 years of going to shows and exhibiting i can see and hear 75% (maybe more) still don't know or understand how to set a system up and get the best out of room at a show)

but it made change to get out and hear new stuff, shame there was not enough vinyl to buy at the show something to address in the future 

But on balance, Roy done Great job and the above's not down Roy 

and of coursed it was nice see George 47 at the show ( interesting chat)

i hope numbers were up today too as the show's do need our support 

Best Regards

Steve  

• Like 6

Great pics and reports, appreciated!

The best system to my ears was the Bluesound / Schiit Ragnarok / KLH 5’s. Been wanting to hear the KLH’s and I was suitably impressed.

Also really impressed with the Russell K Red Floorstanders on the end of a Supernait 3. Such a simple system giving a much bigger soundstage than their diminutive stature would suggest.

Also like many, I was in awe of the sound coming from the Small Amphions / Hegel / Rega set up.

All in all I was a little underwhelmed particularly with too many rooms trying their best to outdo each other volume wise but was still nice to get out and listen to different bits.

May need to start saving for those KLH’s

Frankly while the venue was very good the food was really expensive (£16 for burger and chips) and it is a little isolated so not much option but to eat and drink there .

The other huge problem with the venue which was echoed by all the exhibitors was a very poor and in some cases unworkable network . Some even brought their own 4G routers and sim but the mobile reception was that bad that even that would not work . It made sense why many of the rooms were using Vinyl and also in a way explains the some time limited choice of music . Given this unless the venue could be very much improved I would not see it as a sensible option for the Wam Show unless something very serious could be done with improving the network .

• Like 3

Its alway's interesting to hear what other member say what sound best at a show having, seen experienced the difficulties involved in setting up a system in these hotel rooms and getting it right, the arts been lost, some were along the way! even up to 20 years ago, a much bigger No of companies were getting it right then now, we seem to be more about getting the room looking right, than sound right! i had to point out alot of the time were to put there seats, just get some sort of correct sounding music, that's before we even talk about correct matching of equipment, the different sounds from each room from one song was amazing!!   

having been in studios to recorded and recorded and cut records live, with one my old friend Tim, sadly not with us now. and at a few other live sessions, ive been lucky enough to have good idea, as i used to seat under the mic, when the test cuts being done, with my sound level meter, just so i hear, then play the recording at the correct level straight away

like i said at lest a few of the room were getting equipment sound right 1st, then sorting the look out after, after all you got 2 days to show your stuff of for us to hear 

making wonder about the wamm show maybe were get better sound there, be very interesting, there be alot of competition 

Steve

There are always a lot of positive comments from shows about small speakers, be it Falcons a couple of years ago, or Amphions etc this year . I think that’s significantly down to their lack of deeper bass, which means there’s less to mess up, whereas the majority of floorstanders at shows have great difficulty in the bass as this is a hard thing to get right in the room/speaker balance. The little speakers are often pretty good regardless though.

• Like 2

It once again amazed me that dealers go to the effort of  lugging £100K+ systems to a hotel and not even consider room acoustics. They arrive and then complain about the stark rooms when it would be so easy to bring some sound absorption panels, after all we've been doing that for years at the WAM show (correction..... pillows and mattresses stood up)

Alans new Alchris speakers sounded excellent as did the Kerr acoustic speakers. The most spectacular sound  was from the Nola studio speakers but they are  dog ugly & £20K. The £300K TAD system that nintronics had sounded gspecial too but so it should at that crazy price.

The WAM show trumps this show on every level including I suspect more exhibitors.

• Like 1