UK HiFi Show - Daventry 9th - 10th October

bencat

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, stevehifiman said:

Its alway's interesting to hear what other member say what sound best at a show having, seen experienced the difficulties involved in setting up a system in these hotel rooms and getting it right, the arts been lost, some were along the way! even up to 20 years ago, a much bigger No of companies were getting it right then now, we seem to be more about getting the room looking right, than sound right! i had to point out alot of the time were to put there seats, just get some sort of correct sounding music, that's before we even talk about correct matching of equipment, the different sounds from each room from one song was amazing!!   

having been in studios to recorded and recorded and cut records live, with one my old friend Tim, sadly not with us now. and at a few other live sessions, ive been lucky enough to have good idea, as i used to seat under the mic, when the test cuts being done, with my sound level meter, just so i hear, then play the recording at the correct level straight away

like i said at lest a few of the room were getting equipment sound right 1st, then sorting the look out after, after all you got 2 days to show your stuff of for us to hear 

making wonder about the wamm show maybe were get better sound there, be very interesting, there be alot of competition 

Steve

agree yes £16 is alot money! just bring your own food, but we shouldn't  give a shit about the 4g network (why worry ) after all if it becomes a hifi show for wamm members to show of there stuff! then they should be aiming for the best sound possible    

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Knipester said:

It once again amazed me that dealers go to the effort of  lugging £100K+ systems to a hotel and not even consider room acoustics. They arrive and then complain about the stark rooms when it would be so easy to bring some sound absorption panels, after all we've been doing that for years at the WAM show (correction..... pillows and mattresses stood up)

Alans new Alchris speakers sounded excellent as did the Kerr acoustic speakers. The most spectacular sound  was from the Nola studio speakers but they are  dog ugly & £20K. The £300K TAD system that nintronics had sounded gspecial too but so it should at that crazy price.

The WAM show trumps this show on every level including I suspect more exhibitors.

Totally agree, especially about the Nola speakers, fantastic sound, such energy & so much fun, I felt energised after hearing them.

In a conversation that included being disappointed by the sound in a lot of the rooms I offered some sympathy & said it must be difficult to get the sound right for many, but it was pointed out by Robin (wizmax) that we managed to get it right at Scalford/Kegworth, as evidenced by many compliments on the day, & of course he was right.

Edited by Speedracer
fat fingers.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Knipester said:

It once again amazed me that dealers go to the effort of  lugging £100K+ systems to a hotel and not even consider room acoustics. They arrive and then complain about the stark rooms when it would be so easy to bring some sound absorption panels, after all we've been doing that for years at the WAM show (correction..... pillows and mattresses stood up)

Alans new Alchris speakers sounded excellent as did the Kerr acoustic speakers. The most spectacular sound  was from the Nola studio speakers but they are  dog ugly & £20K. The £300K TAD system that nintronics had sounded gspecial too but so it should at that crazy price.

The WAM show trumps this show on every level including I suspect more exhibitors.

Was the £300k system the one with the large TAD standpoints?

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, bencat said:

Given this unless the venue could be very much improved I would not see it as a sensible option for the Wam Show unless something very serious could be done with improving the network .

Very large hotel, too much for us I'd say.

Parking is a major issue because when we arrived at 9:50 it was almost full because of the golfists. Paul K told me last night that there was some kind of shuttle on Sunday, that brings back the horrors!

Big echo prone rooms can be sorted, I shared Syndicate 23 at Scalford one year and it sounded pretty good so 3 audiophiles with some good kit and a bit of work we did alright and were in the bar early :) 

If it's your job then you should come prepared! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Nagraboy said:

Was the £300k system the one with the large TAD standpoints?

It was about 150k for the system. I put my hands up it was my room Hifiguy and I admit I played too loud. Sorry….

57 minutes ago, hifi addict said:

It was about 150k for the system. I put my hands up it was my room Hifiguy and I admit I played too loud. Sorry….

Ah I see. I didn’t go into that room as I saw the TAD speakers from outside and knew I couldn’t afford them! Hope you got some good leads from the show.

Apologies if I’ve not spotted it in this thread, but did anyone see the new Alphason arm?

6 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Apologies if I’ve not spotted it in this thread, but did anyone see the new Alphason arm?

Dean put a couple of pics on facebook, but said it wasn't actually in use, rather a static version. said it looked very interesting though

2 hours ago, hifi addict said:

Ooohhh I don't know....never got above 95db so quite bearable. It did sound rather good though (understatment). :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Knipester said:

Yes, the tads Rrp £77k, think the dac was even more! 

Makes me chuckle…I had a guest Wammer here yesterday who was amazed at what my Quad 34/303 & LS3/5a setup could do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hifi addict said:

Your room was one of my show highlights. You played Papa Was A Rolling Stone by The Temptations on CD and The Human League's Dare LP on vinyl whilst I was there and both sounded marvellous.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Nagraboy said:

Makes me chuckle…I had a guest Wammer here yesterday who was amazed at what my Quad 34/303 & LS3/5a setup could do.

Sat listening to my DIY Ls35a clones at the moment, with a Unison Research S4 and they are sounding sublime, oh and the vocals .....wow.

• Like 4

Super Wammer

very interesting to read the above but these hotel rooms are same very were you go, built to the same building reg and there not really changed in 30 year we had the same issues 20 to years ago 

remember the Heathrow Shows the runway next to the hotel and Concorde taking off twice a day with planes taking off and coming in very minute

so it wont make much difference were the WAMM show is

i think Wamm member know there hifi better, i think there get a better sound from the rooms too ( just maybe i have a room too:) the change that's taken place in the last 20 years for 90% of companies and  have to say accessories, are crazy prices with out any reason to charge that amount for hifi and its not even hi end! 

its the only industry that ive been involved were you talk bullshit 90% of the time and get away with it : ) you got to prove it with the sound!

dont get me wrong there are good companies and great designs still about, but very few companies can invest or will invest in the future, as this is an industry that's getting smaller. 

Yes there be good to do a WAMM show 

steve

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, stevehifiman said:

agree yes £16 is alot money! just bring your own food, but we shouldn't  give a shit about the 4g network (why worry ) after all if it becomes a hifi show for wamm members to show of there stuff! then they should be aiming for the best sound possible    

Will hope that this comment is meant as a joke which is is often not the same as a written word. As many and I include myself in that only use digital sadly some form of network is essential . With regards to sound quality feel free to come to my room at the next Wam Show and tell me all the faults of my system . You can probably hear many but I honestly love the sound and will not be playing any Vinyl soon .

• Like 1