UK HiFi Show - Daventry 9th - 10th October

bencat

6 minutes ago, bencat said:

Will hope that this comment is meant as a joke which is is often not the same as a written word. As many and I include myself in that only use digital sadly some form of network is essential . With regards to sound quality feel free to come to my room at the next Wam Show and tell me all the faults of my system . You can probably hear many but I honestly love the sound and will not be playing any Vinyl soon .

You only need the hotel network to stream, in room you can do easily if you have local files no problem.

For Kegworth we used an extender so we had in room wired & wireless network, never had a problem in streaming either generally maybe a slight pause at the track beginning sometimes, but audio files are a trivial load (vs video say)

• Like 1

yes in some ways it was but just to point out at this moment in time i play 75 % cd to 20 % vinyl 5 % reels i know were the limits are in each part of the system of course vinyl cut well will sound better but recording on cd and vinyl are totally different even the same tracks   just pointing out most people care about 4g network for the there phone 

Best Regards

Steve

are not all audiophiles on here? if we are then we should only care about the sound?  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Apologies if I’ve not spotted it in this thread, but did anyone see the new Alphason arm?

Yes we saw it and had a really great chat with Mike Knowles (and his son) who is a very interesting fella. He has made a lot of improvements to his HRS100s design and is still working on the final aesthetics. It looked really well thought out and manufactured. No idea on what price it will be sold at yet. He talked about there being home demo arms that could be loaned out and a whole range of options for the cable used with different terminations depending on what the customer wants. They also had some interesting spring loaded cartridge tags that make connecting to different sizes pins easier. They have improved the damping materials used in the arm tube and made some interesting additions to the headshell which is a composite of titanium and a polymer sandwich. I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do soon.

IMG_5888.jpg.0231839ee588d54200db01074759aa2e.jpg

• Like 6

yes in some ways it was but just to point out at this moment in time i play 75 % cd to 20 % vinyl 5 % reels i know were the limits are in each part of the system of course vinyl cut well will sound better but recording on cd and vinyl are totally different even the same tracks   just pointing out most people care about 4g network for the there phone 
Best Regards
Steve
are not all audiophiles on here? if we are then we should only care about the sound?  
I think you're a bit behind the times with your sources (esp CD) hence your lack of understanding of the need of a good network for steaming hi Res from Qobuz Tidal etc. (That's not a comment on SQ just the direction of travel in the industry!!)

Even if you're local file based you need a network to control the player from a phone/tablet although this can be done with a local network.

Having said that at the last Wam show my local network kept going down. Someone suggested there might be an IP address conflict with one in another room. Maybe we need to think about how we address that going forwards for the Wam show?

totally agree i thinking about getting a freeview box and a sound bar i understand you plug them in the back of tv with a scart lead (what's that : )  i am only behind the times because i want to be : )

Hey we all enjoy music and care that's main thing! 

15 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

Having said that at the last Wam show my local network kept going down. Someone suggested there might be an IP address conflict with one in another room. Maybe we need to think about how we address that going forwards for the Wam show?

that's why we used an extender and created an in room network with different SSID but DHCP can be an ar*e and most hotel networks are cheap affairs with dubious setups I agree.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

Yes we saw it and had a really great chat with Mike Knowles (and his son) who is a very interesting fella. He has made a lot of improvements to his HRS100s design and is still working on the final aesthetics. It looked really well thought out and manufactured. No idea on what price it will be sold at yet. He talked about there being home demo arms that could be loaned out and a whole range of options for the cable used with different terminations depending on what the customer wants. They also had some interesting spring loaded cartridge tags that make connecting to different sizes pins easier. They have improved the damping materials used in the arm tube and made some interesting additions to the headshell which is a composite of titanium and a polymer sandwich. I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do soon.

IMG_5888.jpg.0231839ee588d54200db01074759aa2e.jpg

a good all round sound nice to see people doing it for the love of it 

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

that's why we used an extender and created an in room network with different SSID but DHCP can be an ar*e and most hotel networks are cheap affairs with dubious setups I agree.

I used a router connected to the Keggy hotel net and it worked just fine - no IP conflicts because the (my) router was the DHCP server for my local net. 

I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do soon.

You and me both! Thanks for that.
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 09:00, JANDL100 said:

I agree, but the counter argument is that some show visitors want to play some really appallingly recorded dreck - which is fine for them as they obviously like it, but others who have the misfortune to be in the room don't get a fair impression of the gear. 

I've seen quite a few demonstrators frankly appalled at what they have agreed to have played on their systems. 

It cuts both ways 

Only one room I went in got this right - 40 tracks of a variety of different music genres and you were invited to choose something.  This gets over both issues - variety for the punter, safety for the exhibitor.

• Upvote 2

Only one room I went in got this right - 40 tracks of a variety of different music genres and you were invited to choose something.  This gets over both issues - variety for the punter, safety for the exhibitor.
Good idea but i think 400 tracks would be better

1 hour ago, Lawrence001 said:
1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Good idea but i think 400 tracks would be better

Possibly, but that's a lot to search through for a visitor.  At the Wam show I do the same sort of thing, with around 200 tracks - I have them on print outs with one in alphabetic order by artist, the other in alphabetic order by (approximate) gentre

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawrence001 said:

I think you're a bit behind the times with your sources (esp CD) hence your lack of understanding of the need of a good network for steaming hi Res from Qobuz Tidal etc. (That's not a comment on SQ just the direction of travel in the industry!!)

Even if you're local file based you need a network to control the player from a phone/tablet although this can be done with a local network.

I run a hardwired local network using a laptop as the "NAS" and as a control point.  No conflict with anyone else, but then again no Tidal / Qobuz either.

Possibly, but that's a lot to search through for a visitor.  At the Wam show I do the same sort of thing, with around 200 tracks - I have them on print outs with one in alphabetic order by artist, the other in alphabetic order by (approximate) gentre
So not the genre given to it automatically by the metadata software I've seen some ridiculous ones before

I run a hardwired local network using a laptop as the "NAS" and as a control point.  No conflict with anyone else, but then again no Tidal / Qobuz either.
I use an android tablet as the controller, I'm not sure that can be used hard wired.