AURALIC ARIES G2.1 - worth it over the G2?

Psilonaught

Just wondering if anyone had a view on the difference? Unless I am mistaken, the only difference that I can see is the copper inner case on the 2.1?

£1k difference on the used market for the 2.1! 

I think they made some changes to the USB as well and new suspended feet along with the copper casing. 

I havent heard a 2,.1 but I think I'd hold out for the Aries 3 if I was buying new. If not, the G2 is FANTASTIC and you wont be disappointed, especially if you are upgrading from an Innous. I had the G2 and Zenith at the same time, and the Zenith was returned.

4 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

I think they made some changes to the USB as well and new suspended feet along with the copper casing. 

I havent heard a 2,.1 but I think I'd hold out for the Aries 3 if I was buying new. If not, the G2 is FANTASTIC and you wont be disappointed, especially if you are upgrading from an Innous. I had the G2 and Zenith at the same time, and the Zenith was returned.

thanks.

I've just listened to the Hans Beekhuyzen G2 review and when he mentioned parametric EQ I almost fell off my chair. I had no idea they have room EQ!!! It means I can go back to a high-end analogue crossover and avoid AD/DA conversion through my electronic DSP crossover. What is the point is going high-end R2R if you are going to use AD/DA! 

22 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Is there news of an aries 3 in the pipeline?

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Not officially...

1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

thanks.

I've just listened to the Hans Beekhuyzen G2 review and when he mentioned parametric EQ I almost fell off my chair. I had no idea they have room EQ!!! It means I can go back to a high-end analogue crossover and avoid AD/DA conversion through my electronic DSP crossover. What is the point is going high-end R2R if you are going to use AD/DA! 

I've been trying to tell you that for the past while! Auralic as a streamer is ahead of Innuos server/ripper/DAC. Use the streamer to do your DSP then choose a DAC to suit. You also don't have to srress about piwer supplies for an Innuos; those in the Auralic are great. No noise from drive, DAC, etc. You can also rip with an Auralic if you didn't realise? I wouldn't recommend though; keep the drive/files elsewhere.

The G2 to G2.1 is very subtle. Not worth it, imo, unless a great deal comes up.

The G2 is (very) marginally 'better' than a G1. However, I'd only go for the G2 if you're thinking of using the Auralic link to a Vega G2, Leo, etc

Just picked myself up a minty G2 from Ebay. About time I upgaded my streamer!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now I just need to decide on a new R2R dac to accompany it ^_^

3 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

I've tried a 4 different speakers in my system at home and also included a Hegel H390 at a hifi shop. I'm yet to really hear much improvement, just sideways/ different in presentation. Now only part of my system I'm yet to upgrade is my streamer. (Oppo 105EU).  This may be my nxt level of investigation.

1 minute ago, Nativebon said:

I've tried a 4 different speakers in my system at home and also included a Hegel H390 at a hifi shop. I'm yet to really hear much improvement, just sideways/ different in presentation. Now only part of my system I'm yet to upgrade is my streamer. (Oppo 105EU).  This may be my nxt level of investigation.

I was VERY much is the "streamers all sound the same" camp until I was persuaded to attempt to hear the difference between power supplies on my Innous. Once I bought a proper USB cable (was using a printer cable because I refused to believe that made a difference either!), I could 100% hear a difference between a 12v laptop PSU vs a high quality linear PSU.

Then recently I was appauled to hear the change (for the worse) that the Innous Sense 2.0 firmware created. This cemented for me that streamers quite clearly make an audible difference. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Good man! Tip; leave it always on. The clocks are temp sensitive. Don't panic when you think the USB out or SPDIF aren't functioning; you have to choose the output in the web browser configurator. Also, the USB DAC needs to be powered up in order to be selectable.

28 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

You won't be disappointed! The G2 is one of those streamers that the 'all streamers sound the same' clueless bunch need to hear next to a Rasberry Pi...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, simon g said:

Good man! Tip; leave it always on. The clocks are temp sensitive. Don't panic when you think the USB out or SPDIF aren't functioning; you have to choose the output in the web browser configurator. Also, the USB DAC needs to be powered up in order to be selectable.

nice one thank you. I'm still drawn to the Audio GD R7HE Mk2. Reviews suggest the R8 (its little brother) is almost as good as an Aqua Formula HDx, so the bigger brother might well be better. 

44 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Now I just need to decide on a new R2R dac to accompany it ^_^

My advice to myself is to only upgrade one component at a time.

Apart from when I've got enough cash to upgrade more than one component at a time...then my advice to myself is to ignore my previous advice to myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

You won't be disappointed! The G2 is one of those streamers that the 'all streamers sound the same' clueless bunch need to hear next to a Rasberry Pi...

There’s something in what you say; I had an Auralic streamer, possibly the G2, here for a week while I tried out a pair of D&D speakers. Hated it! Smoothed the life out of the music. Which just goes to show that one mans sound is another’s switch off and go to bed early. Neither of us is right or wrong just different perceptions, but differences there most certainly are.

• Like 2