Jump to content

AURALIC ARIES G2.1 - worth it over the G2?


Psilonaught
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Camverton said:

There’s something in what you say; I had an Auralic streamer, possibly the G2, here for a week while I tried out a pair of D&D speakers. Hated it! Smoothed the life out of the music. Which just goes to show that one mans sound is another’s switch off and go to bed early. Neither of us is right or wrong just different perceptions, but differences there most certainly are.

Very true. However, many do get confused by the Auralic range. You may well have had one of their streaming DACs, not the pure streamer transport (i.e digital out only) Aries G1 or G2.  The streaming part of their streaming DACs is nowhere near as good as the Aries streamer (which uses the Tesla G2 board)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 17:38, simon g said:

Very true. However, many do get confused by the Auralic range. You may well have had one of their streaming DACs, not the pure streamer transport (i.e digital out only) Aries G1 or G2.  The streaming part of their streaming DACs is nowhere near as good as the Aries streamer (which uses the Tesla G2 board)

It was getting on for two years ago, and yes I did find the range a tad confusing. I started off using the digital out direct to the D&D speakers but soon decided to use digital out from the Auralic to a Chord DAC and then analogue into the speakers which digitised it. Completely bonkers of course, but I much preferred the sound; perhaps I like distortion 😮 😀. Either way the speakers, whilst excellent, weren't to my taste so that might have influenced my thoughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Camverton said:

It was getting on for two years ago, and yes I did find the range a tad confusing. I started off using the digital out direct to the D&D speakers but soon decided to use digital out from the Auralic to a Chord DAC and then analogue into the speakers which digitised it. Completely bonkers of course, but I much preferred the sound; perhaps I like distortion 😮 😀. Either way the speakers, whilst excellent, weren't to my taste so that might have influenced my thoughts.

Yeah I highly doubt it was a G2. How do you not remember what £4k streamer you had?! Christ, I'd remember sweating having something that expensive on loan...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

Yeah I highly doubt it was a G2. How do you not remember what £4k streamer you had?! Christ, I'd remember sweating having something that expensive on loan...

I’m afraid that there are more interesting thing in my life than remembering model numbers of hifi, particularly that which wasn’t to my taste. My point was to agree with you that streamers do indeed sound different. Looking at the photos from that time, it might have been an Aries G1. Either way neither the sound nor having here brought me out in a sweat!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Aries G2.1 looks pretty impressive. I'd try one if it was available in silver, and without that weird S&M finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second night enjoying my G2. I feel quite stupid for holding on to the delusion that streamers must all sound the same for so long :doh:

Stunning bit of kit. A big audible step up.

Going to swap my audioquest carbon usb cable for a diamond. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Second night enjoying my G2. I feel quite stupid for holding on to the delusion that streamers must all sound the same for so long :doh:

Stunning bit of kit. A big audible step up.

Going to swap my audioquest carbon usb cable for a diamond. 

I had similar feelings when I got the G2. I had always discounted Chi-Fi stuff as 'measured and harsh' after my experiences with Lumin gear, but since getting the G2, my digital is an absolute bliss to listen to, every day is just a pleasure with no annoyances anymore. 

Try a Shunyata USB/Ethernet cable, you won't be disappointed. Their baseline Venom is truly special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Going to swap my audioquest carbon usb cable for a diamond. 

Once you get up to that sort of money, consider the Sablon 2020 USB which many of us have concluded is the best we have heard.

Although at a friends suggestion I have just ordered and received the new Supra Excalibur Sliver Edition USB cable.

28 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

Try a Shunyata USB/Ethernet cable, you won't be disappointed. Their baseline Venom is truly special.

Another friend has also been suggesting I try the Shunyata USB cables but I am really more than happy with the Sablon 2020 USB so have not gone down that route.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks all. I actually have a coffee, not carbon, but yes it is worth investing in either the the Sablon or Shunyata.

I will also order the internal power supply upgrade at some point.

One thing I must mention is that my relatively humble Musical Paradise MP-D2 continues to improve as the source improves. I must be the only person on this forum who ownes one, and when using the correct caps and tubes, it is pretty stunning. Under £2k.

I still intend to step up to a Dave/Aqua Forumula/Terminator Plus, but people on more modest budgets should seriously consider the product IMO. They are/were before the shortage, offering an AK4499 version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Once you get up to that sort of money, consider the Sablon 2020 USB which many of us have concluded is the best we have heard.

Although at a friends suggestion I have just ordered and received the new Supra Excalibur Sliver Edition USB cable.

Another friend has also been suggesting I try the Shunyata USB cables but I am really more than happy with the Sablon 2020 USB so have not gone down that route.

I do keep my eye out for a Sablon USB cable, but new, isn't something Id spend on a cable, and of course because they are known to be so good, they rarely come up used!

 The Shunyata Venom I picked up for £60, theres something about Shunyata cables that just sound 'right', and with such a low floor noise theres no nasties that come through. 

I might try ones of these new Supra cables though as £100 is affordable, but from my experience, Silver cables are a no no for me. I've always found silver more suited towards a more elderly listener who's natural top end hearing has started evaporating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

do report back on the Supra! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

I might try ones of these new Supra cables though as £100 is affordable, but from my experience, Silver cables are a no no for me. I've always found silver more suited towards a more elderly listener who's natural top end hearing has started evaporating.

Silver in analogue cables and silver in digital cables has no relationship in terms of the tone or colour of the sound in the way that it is often discussed with analogue cables.

It is simply not possible to relate the sound of a copper digital cable compared to a silver digital cable based on ones experience with analogue cables

In a digital cable the silver has a higher speed of propagation compared to copper and this often cited as being the advantage of silver in digital cable construction. One company says that is why can construct longer fully functioning USB cables in silver compared to copper. They say this relates to the speed of the signal and return time in the cable.

Anyway, I intend to compare the new Supra cable over the next few days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

Silver in analogue cables and silver in digital cables has no relationship in terms of the tone or colour of the sound in the way that it is often discussed with analogue cables.

It is simply not possible to relate the sound of a copper digital cable compared to a silver digital cable based on ones experience with analogue cables

In a digital cable the silver has a higher speed of propagation compared to copper and this often cited as being the advantage of silver in digital cable construction. One company says that is why can construct longer fully functioning USB cables in silver compared to copper. They say this relates to the speed of the signal and return time in the cable.

Anyway, I intend to compare the new Supra cable over the next few days.

I disagree on that. I used multiple Wireworld and Audioquest (amongst others) USB cables once when I did my own little cable testing thing and the silver ones all did what silver does, which did surprise me, as I went into the testing with the same view as you. Granted the effects where slightly different to silver in Analogue but they still, overall, did similar. I binned them all (or rather, returned them :))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Southeastern said:

I disagree on that. I used multiple Wireworld and Audioquest (amongst others) USB cables once when I did my own little cable testing thing and the silver ones all did what silver does, which did surprise me, as I went into the testing with the same view as you. Granted the effects where slightly different to silver in Analogue but they still, overall, did similar. I binned them all (or rather, returned them :))

Probably best if we leave it there rather than derail this thread but it might just have been coincidence that you heard what you heard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Probably best if we leave it there rather than derail this thread but it might just have been coincidence that you heard what you heard.

One time is a possibility, second time is a coincidence, third time is a pattern. I tried four cables with silver content...but I'll definitely try to get hold one of these Supra's as my system has changed a lot since I did the cable testing, so it will definitely give a good example of the differences. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...