Hegel H590 review

ANADROL-50

ah thats good rick , and i believe alan shaw likes the damping factor on them 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Yes, it’s had an array of great reviews, the 390, and frankly makes the 590 seem pretty pointless unless you’ve money to burn.  Similar findings according to Hifi News with the Rotel Michi X3 integrated amp, where this more affordable model effectively outperforms the top X5 model. 
https://www.hifinews.com/content/rotel-michi-x5-integrated-amplifier

https://www.hifinews.com/content/hegel-h390-integrated-amplifiernetwork-dac
Integrated amplifiers can be extraordinarily good these days!

No doubt Nick.  It was that tri-review you posted for us that got me to go out and do my own comparison of the ML/Krell and Hegel.  The microwave just has a slightly richer sound than the Hegel and was the sole reason for my non-purchase.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Warszawa said:

He's comparing apples and oranges there. Not sure why he needed to make a video about it, or why it was posted here, or why I watched it. 

Oh well.

Cute dog.

The point of the thread was the part where he said there is no bad kit at this price level just different sounding which i believe to be true.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a H90, and as the days passed I got more and more irritated with it, to the point that I couldn't bear to listen to it any more. 

There was a slight but somehow insistent brightness to it that just drove me crazy after a week or so. 

Impressive and enjoyable sound in other respects, though. 

• Like 3

On 15/09/2021 at 22:03, Drummerman said:

Love the Hegel sound. Had an H90, H120 and just got an H95 to replace an active system I didn't get on with (and one I did but it still didn't sound as good as either of the 3 above). 

What is the Hegel sound?🤓

🙂

On 14/09/2021 at 11:15, hifinutt said:

the hegel 390 and 590 get huge amounts of praise from mags including hi fi critic , they are used regularly at shows by a certain british speaker manufacturer   whose products are very popular all over the world  

They good amps but massively expensive for what they are

• Like 3

Yup!  We can go into massive detail as to why hifi is now so expensive.  Some of it doesn’t make sense. I had a Unison Research Unico (Primo) way back in 2003. It cost me £800 brand new but a new one today will set you back just shy of £2,000! WTF?  As for Hegel, I agree that they’re expensive. Prices have shot up in recent years, especially after the 190 won the EISA award…  

Those Kinki Studio amps look like great value on the face of it…!

Edited by Jezzer
  • Like 1

Big discounts are available on Hegel amps, I should, I got one earlier this year.

So perhaps they're no that expensive?

• Administrator

I do remember, a couple or so years ago, Musicraft having some massive discounts on the Hegel range. I don't think this will have done great things for their residuals, even if they are fantastic products.

20 hours ago, ANADROL-50 said:

A short(ish) video review of the Hegel range.

Techno babble or wise words ?

Nothing technical here that I heard. I think he mis-spoke once by saying low damping factor when he meant high.  Basically, unfussy, well engineered amps, plain looking and with a neutral sound.  Will work well unless you like highly flavoured or distinctive sound, when tubes or a Naim might be more your taste  

What’s not to like?  Mainly, imo, the lack of inputs for analogue sources, which is why I bought a Primare instead over three years ago.  But they know their market demands digital inputs and there are lots of those.  

• Like 2

Probably best I keep that between me and the dealer.

Mind you, when I telephoned around I did say that I didn't want a demo and would be happy just collecting the package from their shop.