Linn 50th Anniversary

3 hours ago, Elad Repooc said:

I have heard this from people whose ears I mostly trust, and yet I have also heard from others which I also mostly trust that the opposite was indeed the case (the Katalyst Klimax bested the dCS). Since I have never done the comparison I cannot really comment, only to say that the claim the dCS Vivaldi is a better sounding source component is not a universally held opinion, and people should perform their due diligence. 

Elad,

Like you, I didn't do the comparison. It's the story of my dealer.

I just know that a part of the big Linn system owners of the shop bought a DCS Vivaldi duo, trio or… quatuor (!!!!!).
They did this comparison between Linn and DCS… After that, it's their choice.

I agree with you, we can't make a generality 🙂
But again, these customers wanted a Linn source at the top of their system, and they finally choose the DCS that was way more expensive.

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Upvote 1

Maybe 50th anniversary comes earlier than expected.😎

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess a new Kartridge and Radikal are out for the anniversary.....................

What next???

Super Wammer
On 18/09/2021 at 09:37, HIGHWAY61 said:

The economics of the modern High Street already show that all that will soon be left will be : Fast-Food outlets, Coffee Shops, Betting Shops and Charity Shops. I fail to see why HiFi Dealers have a secret formula that will allow them to exist on the High Street when every other competing sector finds their economic model is outdated. 

The market is polarising.  I use nominal values to illustrate the point, they're not meant to be definitive.

£500 per component and below is going to be filled by Internet providers where lowest cost and fastest delivery time will win.

£2000 per component and above will be served by those hifi dealers that are in that space and provide the service that customers want.  High touch, high value, "exclusive" and probably based on the edge of town or out of town.  Where choosing hifi is an experience, not a transaction.

Those dealers who are selling the £2000 components who don't offer the right experience will go out of business (and many already have done so).

It will be the middle ground that loses.  Its happening in lots of industries and services.  Where those middle ground customers go is a dilemma as the remaining polarised choices don't really work for them.  If they're not served, the high end sellers may find there is no feed customer pipeline seeking their services.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

The market is polarising.  I use nominal values to illustrate the point, they're not meant to be definitive.

£500 per component and below is going to be filled by Internet providers where lowest cost and fastest delivery time will win.

£2000 per component and above will be served by those hifi dealers that are in that space and provide the service that customers want.  High touch, high value, "exclusive" and probably based on the edge of town or out of town.  Where choosing hifi is an experience, not a transaction.

Those dealers who are selling the £2000 components who don't offer the right experience will go out of business (and many already have done so).

It will be the middle ground that loses.  Its happening in lots of industries and services.  Where those middle ground customers go is a dilemma as the remaining polarised choices don't really work for them.  If they're not served, the high end sellers may find there is no feed customer pipeline seeking their services.

In my other expensive hobby, astronomy,  there are now virtually no dealer shops. You have only internet stores some of which offer excellent services, including return if not suitable etc. I don't think in the long run price will stop this happening to hi fi dealers. 

Regards Andrew 

@Elad Repooc and @Chris 1970

I did compare dCS Vivaldi and Chord Choral components and preferred the Chord and bought it. My downstairs system is Linn. If Space Optimisation were not available and I had no interest in my vinyl collection then I'd choose Chord. However, I do want to enjoy my vinyl and apply room correction; hence I prefer Linn overall. However, I've not heard the new Organik, which has a similar hardware design to Chord, but may sound different because with FPGAs it is down to the designer. Linn (Klimax) has better build quality than Chord (which is on a par with Naim). 

Based on what I've heard I would not swap my current components for dCS ones, but this is a personal choice and everyone hears differently. A HiFi comic compared dCS and Chord giving them 92% and 93% respectively - so my conclusion is the reviewer couldn't choose between them. How one arrives at these percentages is beyond me. 

Without good dealers choosing what suits us best would be much harder (impossible). They don't need premises on the high street, but they do need a good demonstration facility somewhere. If it was Internet only then I think I'd rely on measurements rather than reviews, but fortunately I was able to audition at my dealer's and then at home and he set up my Linn system. I doubt I'll ever change from Linn as my main system - great products and service.    

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

I did compare dCS Vivaldi and Chord Choral components and preferred the Chord and bought it.

Did the dCS Vivaldi you listened to was in 2 boxes (DAC and upsampler)?
If so, the difference in price is huge… 

I've never listened to any of them, thought.

On 18/09/2021 at 23:08, Chris 1970 said:

In 2007, of course, my dealer invited me to some listening sessions of the brand new Klimax DS.
He worked very hard to make it shine, with a new employee who was there to get it right.

But it didn't make it, AT ALL.

Why?

Because that was not something I dreamed of… listening to music with a computer like system, bugs and no more disc in the hands ??? You are pulling my leg !

I worked all day on a computer, that was enough for me.

I was "only" 37. Not very old. I was not afraid of computer at all. I was and I'm still the boy the family calls when something doesn't work in that domain 🙂

The sound of the Klimax DS was very analytical in my memory – perhaps more focus than the CD12 – but really, I didn't care.

The CD experience was soooooo much better overall for me.

So…

I guess I wasn't the only customer to be in conflict with this new thing in 2007.
It was not a problem from the dealer side, it was a problem of desire from the customer side.
Imagine the – probably – majority of older customers who were afraid of computers at that time… my parents for example. Today, they have a MacBook, an iPhone… But they are still not confident at all with that technology…

In 2021

Music streaming is everywhere. Things have changed a lot.
But… Apple introduced lossless in June this year… it was a no way for me before that…
That's 14 years later, and I'm still not completely happy with the idea of no disc and computer 😬

Very well encapsulated Chris, you echo my own experiences and sentiments about DS.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chris 1970 said:

Did the dCS Vivaldi you listened to was in 2 boxes (DAC and upsampler)?

It was a full 4 box dCS Vivaldi vs 2 box Chord system. I couldn’t see which was playing. Amps were Naim NAC552/NAP500, speakers large Magnepan. I asked to hear Chord vs. the best DAC setup the dealer could put together as a benchmark. Music was on 2 CDRs which I’ve made up for auditions. All I do is write down which rendition I prefer A or B: main criterion is which one has least distractions and draws me in to the music. .

1. Who Knows Where The Time Goes - Fairport Convention
  2. A Day in the Life - The Beatles
  3. if I Thought You’d Ever Change Your Mind - Cilla Black 
  4. Nadir’s Big Chance - Peter Hammill
  5. Don’t Hang Up - 10CC
  6. Janacek’s Sinfonietta - Sir Charles Mackerras & Czech Philharmonic 

I remember preferring Chord on 4 tracks including Janacek. I make no claims about scientific validity. However, I’m convinced I don’t need to spend more than I did on a Chord Blu2 DAVE to play CDs, rips & downloads in my small music room. 

However my lounge needs to be domestically acceptable and I like playing records. Linn scores here like no other I’ve come across. Space Optimisation V2 & Urika 2 are a huge plus. I use ADSM KCT so well below NGKDSM Solo level, but it sounds great and Radikal 2 should be an affordable upgrade. 

Whether an enthusiast buys dCS, Chord or Linn, I’m sure they will be happy. There are other systems I’ve heard and thought exceptional. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Fazioli said:

Very well encapsulated Chris, you echo my own experiences and sentiments about DS.

Thank you Fazioli!

Just the report of the mood of that time… 😊

20 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

Whether an enthusiast buys dCS, Chord or Linn, I’m sure they will be happy. There are other systems I’ve heard and thought exceptional. 

Thank you for this report Nestor!

My experience is very poor as I listened only to the first Klimax DS in 2007… and to the NGKDSM, 3 months ago. A night and day experience… with 14 years in between 😊
And the Klimax DSM Katalyst – the same day – that was also superb.

The 4 dCS boxes are supposed to be the system – and the budget – to match…
Your method was excellent that time: the Chord duo being very close or better to your ears, the decision was clear…

That method has not worked very well in my experience during all these years, as the better could kill the very good, in particular in the same brand… The NGKDSM killed the wonderful Katalyst for me – as it should, of course – but it doubled the price too…

That said, if the NGKDSM had been only a better hifi performer with even more details and power, the Katalyst would have been the keeper.
But the warm and artistic presence of the NGKDSM made it just emotional, no more rational!
Sure that the Chord duo catched you in a sentimental way too…

20 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

However my lounge needs to be domestically acceptable and I like playing records. Linn scores here like no other I’ve come across. Space Optimisation V2 & Urika 2 are a huge plus.

Multiple posts from you talk about your enjoyable experience with the Urika II and SO.
It's something to credit to Linn – you are right – as it's really a different way to think and play analogue…
Could we imagine that some years ago?

It seems that the "method" is not recommended with the Urika II, either 😀 

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 13:03, Nestor Turton said:

A HiFi comic compared dCS and Chord giving them 92% and 93% respectively - so my conclusion is the reviewer couldn't choose between them. How one arrives at these percentages is beyond me.   

A good one 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

Multiple posts from you talk about your enjoyable experience with the Urika II and SO.

I think Peter Hammill sums me up on Van Der Graaf Generator's Trisector LP 

I'm going to have to write things down before I forget them.
I can't find my glasses, I don't know where I left them
So I can't expect to get much on the visionary score,
Or did I say all that before?

Oh, stop me if you've heard this one before I get started.
I can't find my mobile and I didn't charge it,
It's a phantom target, If I call myself I'll only get my Voicemail once more.

Oh, stop me if I'm banging on trying to grab your attention.
I forget to mention I can't find my glasses
But I think I bent them when I dropped them as I scrabbled for my phone on the floor.

Urika II
Space Optimisation
Are 2 things I adore

With apologies to Peter for adding a verse of my own 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

I think Peter Hammill sums me up on Van Der Graaf Generator's Trisector LP 

I'm going to have to write things down before I forget them.
I can't find my glasses, I don't know where I left them
So I can't expect to get much on the visionary score,

Oh, stop me if you've heard this one before I get started.
I can't find my mobile and I didn't charge it,
It's a phantom target, If I call myself I'll only get my Voicemail once more.

Oh, stop me if I'm banging on trying to grab your attention.
I forget to mention I can't find my glasses
But I think I bent them when I dropped them as I scrabbled for my phone on the floor.

Urika II
Space Optimisation
Are 2 things I adore

With apologies to Peter for adding a verse of my own 

Terrific respond ❤️

Ho, by the way, what did you say about Urika II and Space Optimisation?

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I was lucky enough to be at the 40th anniversary event at Linn headquarters.

‘It was a great opportunity to meet Ivor, Gilad, many Linn engineers such as Philbo and Keith Robertson,  Linn dealers from around the world and of course many Linn forum members.

It was a golden time for Linn, introducing new Linn innovations such as Exakt, the coveted 40th anniversary LP12, and a side demo for a future Linn control point called Kazoo. The Highland Park 40 year old scotch was flowing, and the whole factory was abuzz with excitement. For me, the experience was exceptional.

I hope for the 50th anniversary we are all invited, as per the 40th anniversary. I also hope that next time that we are given name tags, so we can identify each other. 

One of the highlights of these events are the dinner and pub meetups the night before the event, as well as the dinner and pub meetups with other Linn forum members in the evening of the event.

‘It is a highly worthwhile event to attend, and well worth the trip around the world to be there. I hope to be there again.

• Like 4