Lp12 acting up

LinnJim

Hello

So my LP12 suddenly started pulsing.

It's hard to explain but it's basically only playing for about 1 second every other second.

It started half way through a record and now does it on all records.

It's a Majik model playing through a ADSM.

Has anyone experienced this before?

All other sources working perfectly. 

Thanks in advance. 

58 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

Yes that's right.

Ok. Is it then related to the tone arm angle around the pivot point or is it related to time? I mean, if you start playing the record half way does the pulsing start at once?

Edited by HansBertil

If you mean that the music plays, then goes quiet and then plays again, in a cycle then I've also experienced this and I'm pretty sure that it is a fault with my ASH Phonocard-just haven't got around toddling anything about it yet as I use an external Phonostage. With mine it was doing it with the card on Pass Through (Line level).I haven't tried the phono level  options yet.

2 hours ago, HansBertil said:

Ok. Is it then related to the tone arm angle around the pivot point or is it related to time? I mean, if you start playing the record half way does the pulsing start at once?

It's intermittent but doesn't seem to be related to tonearm position.

After first discovering It left it 10 minutes and then it started working again but now it is pulsing again and doesn't seem to be getting better.

This leads me to believe that Dasher may be on the right track with it being the phono stage. 

Hopefully my warrenty is still in date.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LinnJim said:

Hopefully my warrenty is still in date

Which is unfortunately not the case  with mine!

One more thought-have you recently removed the card (switched it from for example mm to mc)? It may be that one of the gold pins is in need of cleaning.

David

Have you tried power-cycling your ADSM (with the switch)?

22 hours ago, Dasher said:

Which is unfortunately not the case  with mine!

One more thought-have you recently removed the card (switched it from for example mm to mc)? It may be that one of the gold pins is in need of cleaning.

David

I havent touched it in a long time and have never opened it up.

The Linn engineer is almost certain that it is a capacitor in the ADC, he has suggested that can confirm this by playing another analogue source through it.

Fortunately if it is out of warranty and this diagnosis is correct then my dealership says that can fix it in house for cheap, rather than having to send it back to Linn.

I will try a power cycle first though and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

On 16/09/2021 at 08:45, LinnJim said:

I havent touched it in a long time and have never opened it up.

The Linn engineer is almost certain that it is a capacitor in the ADC, he has suggested that can confirm this by playing another analogue source through it.

Fortunately if it is out of warranty and this diagnosis is correct then my dealership says that can fix it in house for cheap, rather than having to send it back to Linn.

I will try a power cycle first though and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

This is interesting - and not the same as my issue as I can use Analogue devices without a problem (I run the Lp12, via the Uphorik, through the Analogue RCA).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

LP2 Majik, eh?  I think its trying to tell you something ("time for an upgrade")!!!

Yes, I know, that's no help.  It does sound like an electronic issue - does the sound actually cut out or just get quieter?