Audio Bacon video review of LPS used with Qutest and RME ADI 2 dacs (and DC4 with Dave).

Fourlegs

1 minute ago, Bokke said:

The true way to tell if there is a difference is to do the 'wife walked in and instantly noticed' test

I'm going to check if the dog raises one eyebrow...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, savvypaul said:

Thanks. I also see that the RME supply is 2 amp and the SBooster is quoted at 2.5 amp.

I'm going to listen to 5 or 6 albums with each and see if one stirs my loins the most / gets on my tits the least.

I found the most noticeable difference with the RME powered by the SBooster was that tracks which had previously sounded as if they had a hard edge to the top end now sounded somewhat less ‘grating’ with the sbooster.

5 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I found the most noticeable difference with the RME powered by the SBooster was that tracks which had previously sounded as if they had a hard edge to the top end now sounded somewhat less ‘grating’ with the sbooster.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that, to avoid influencing @savvypaul's listening assessment. Hopefully he'll come back to us without having read your message.

4 hours ago, Bokke said:

The true way to tell if there is a difference is to do the 'wife walked in and instantly noticed' test

But run if there is a bank statement in one hand....and a weapon in the other. She has noticed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tuga said:

I was hoping you wouldn't say that, to avoid influencing @savvypaul's listening assessment. Hopefully he'll come back to us without having read your message.

We'll be OK, he only listens to music.

His measurements were to impress us, but we are not fooled.

Get back to listening, you charlatan.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The guy in the video has obviously done some exhaustive listening tests but what is the point of the sound samples at the end on the video, as they are practically meaningless given we are listening via our own DACs. 

4 hours ago, George 47 said:

We'll be OK, he only listens to music.

His measurements were to impress us, but we are not fooled.

Get back to listening, you charlatan.

The dog did the measurements...

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

The dog did the measurements...

He just wanted to get a ruff idea...:minikev:

• Haha 2

Measurebators ! Measurebators everywhere. The place is doomed. Doomed I tell ya.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

He just wanted to get a ruff idea...:minikev:

Just when I was thinking that it couldn't possibly get any worse, along you come and prove me wrong.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

The guy in the video has obviously done some exhaustive listening tests but what is the point of the sound samples at the end on the video, as they are practically meaningless given we are listening via our own DACs. 

He's shaking and baking... edit: sorry, shaking and bacon.

Edited by tuga

18 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

...but what is the point of the sound samples at the end on the video, as they are practically meaningless given we are listening via our own DACs. 

I have to agree, yet there are people who post videos of their systems on youtube and expect us to to be able to experience the glory of their system that way.  Eh?  😟

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Rothwell Audio said:

I have to agree, yet there are people who post videos of their systems on youtube and expect us to to be able to experience the glory of their system that way.  Eh?  😟

I don’t think one is expected to hear the actual sound but rather that they are intended to demonstrate relative differences. That would possibly be a valid exercise. 

He did the same with Power Cables a while ago.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rothwell Audio said:

They don't really expect you to do anything, they provide content for those that are interested, those that aren't , well its not for them.

I like Youtube videos of Hifi's myself. I can often hear differences, especially in testing videos, sure it won't be 'real life' quality, but it shows me comparisons, which is all one can expect from a Youtube clip, and has been very valuable to me in choosing kit before.

Edited by Southeastern
  • Like 3

The 'louder' effect that I initially heard with the Sbooster was cured by plugging it in to a socket fed by my balanced mains unit, rather than the distribution strip that I usually have my 'digital' components plugged into. I get around 245v from those sockets, whereas my balanced mains unit has a step down to 225 (which is usually nearer 230 in daily use).

I listened to a selection of  albums throughout most of yesterday, a few hours at a time with each power supply, and some more listening this morning I have a tiny preference for the Sbooster; the music has a fraction greater ease and flow, to my ears. Not life changing, not essential: if you like the RME with the Sbooster, I think you would like the RME with the stock supply.. and if you dislike the RME with the stock supply, I think you would dislike the RME with the Sbooster.

Buying secondhand pushes the Sbooster into viable territory, for me. Also, I'm on my third RME power supply (previous two replaced under warranty) so I hope the Sbooster will be more durable (and I will have the RME as a spare).

When I had a Chord 2qute, an MCRU supply made an obvious difference. With the RME and Sbooster, it's a much, much closer call 

All in the context of my own system  / room / ears, only. Don't read any more into it than that.

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1