Good Morning All (from the UK),

Just over 3 years ago, I rediscovered vinyl via a new Rega Planar 3. Over the last 3 years I have focused on building up my record collection and on how I can improve the sound. That resulted in lots of mods and changes, new amp and speakers.

Anyway, I decided this week it cut my losses and get an LP12. Its an ex display model with Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4, Tramp and an Akito 3. The only addition from me was the AT VM750SH. After a couple of days of listening, I am really pleased. 

Enough of the ramble, I want to pick your brains on positioning of the deck. As you can see from the photo's, I have a Rega wall mount and I have put the LP12 on a piece of Oak which is sitting on the wall mount. You blokes know your stuff and may help me short cut trying different locations and platforms. Any advice ?

thanks for listening Glenn

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

There will be endless personal opinions about tweaks but realistically it looks great and probably is working absolutely fine.

cosmetically I’d have preferred a black shelf and some are available here and there.

That should serve you very well so enjoy.😎👍

• Upvote 2

Its sounds great and the oak is all I had knocking around. I agree on the colour.

Cheers

• Like 1

A wall shelf is considered the best in terms of isolation from footfall vibrations so no reason for you to change. You might try a different wall shelf material such as bamboo, IKEA's bamboo chopping board APTITLIG is frequently cited as an inexpensive alternative, but differences may only be marginal.

Edited by Fazioli
typo

Also pay close attention to leveling. A digital level can be more precise than a spirit level

• Upvote 2

Tiny tip alert.😉

Didn’t think I’d be the first to mention cable dressing trivial as it might seem it’s recognised that the deck cables on a wall shelf especially give better results hanging free to their intended location rather than bunched up and lying on the shelf or frame.

It’s not quite so tidy looking but usually brings better sonic results.😎👍 

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

There will be endless personal opinions about tweaks but realistically it looks great and probably is working absolutely fine.

cosmetically I’d have preferred a black shelf and some are available here and there.

That should serve you very well so enjoy.😎👍

Since it appears to be Oak plywood it should work pretty well.  You can always try other shelves but many will likely sound worse.  A can of spray paint or some black stain should take care of the cosmetics.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, petecallaghan said:

Also pay close attention to leveling. A digital level can be more precise than a spirit level

I recently had a very positive experience by using a better level. Leveling the deck is essential. Other than that, I'd say your setup is solid.

2 hours ago, petecallaghan said:

That depends on the spirit level.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Blade said:

Good Morning All (from the UK),

Just over 3 years ago, I rediscovered vinyl via a new Rega Planar 3. Over the last 3 years I have focused on building up my record collection and on how I can improve the sound. That resulted in lots of mods and changes, new amp and speakers.

Anyway, I decided this week it cut my losses and get an LP12. Its an ex display model with Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4, Tramp and an Akito 3. The only addition from me was the AT VM750SH. After a couple of days of listening, I am really pleased. 

Enough of the ramble, I want to pick your brains on positioning of the deck. As you can see from the photo's, I have a Rega wall mount and I have put the LP12 on a piece of Oak which is sitting on the wall mount. You blokes know your stuff and may help me short cut trying different locations and platforms. Any advice ?

thanks for listening Glenn

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

Target VW wall shelf - robust and made a HUGE difference in isolation. Impervious to footfalls and just made everything blacker deeper more silent.  

IMG_5843.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Glenn.

I must say that it is very refreshing to have someone show up here with such a fine example of an LP12 seemingly properly set up. And with a fine looking record collection!

You've really gone all in on the vinyl thing.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A better level, based on my experience.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/starrett-50572?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&feeds=shopping

I believe that some have found it in the UK. I'm in North America.

• Like 1

thanks all - and Michael thanks for the welcome !

That level is on Amazon UK.

I had been thinking of staining my piece of oak.

Glenn

• Like 2