15 minutes ago, Blade said:

thanks all - and Michael thanks for the welcome !

That level is on Amazon UK.

I had been thinking of staining my piece of oak.

Glenn

Great idea.

Don’t get sucked into all the variables of different surfaces.

If your happy with how it is then go for the cosmetic change and just enjoy the deck.😎👍

Check out the angle of the dangle though.😉

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Like 2

Looks great.  How does it compare to the Rega?

My level was sent to me from Germany by a forum friend.  It is almost too precise and it is mechanical.  I believe Peter uses the same one.

11 hours ago, mskaye said:

Target VW wall shelf - robust and made a HUGE difference in isolation. Impervious to footfalls and just made everything blacker deeper more silent.  

IMG_5843.jpeg

PS- recommended by a Linn/Naim dealer in the Atlanta area.  He was spot on.   

11 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Looks great.  How does it compare to the Rega?

Now that an interesting question. 

The basic Rega deck was ok, switching the cartridge up to the Rega Exact (and later the VM750) and upgrading the platter/sub platter/arm made a big difference. In the end, I got a really acceptable sound out of the Rega. Good soundstage and imaging. 

The Linn is clearly a step up - better definition, bass, clarity, detail and I am hearing things I haven't heard before. Its also a work of art compared to a 'slab of MDF with an arm' !!

I would still recommend a Rega to someone getting started - I got a very acceptable sound of it and learned a lot from tinkering.

No plans to tinker with the LP12 - might consider a move to MC next year which will mean new cart/s and phono stage.

Thanks for the comments and welcome. I have enjoyed reading through the last 6 months of posts.

Glenn

• Like 1

18 hours ago, akamatsu said:

A better level, based on my experience.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/starrett-50572?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&feeds=shopping

I believe that some have found it in the UK. I'm in North America.

Michael, you have started me on something now.

My Starrett 136 turned up this morning. I have spent a pleasant hour+ getting the wall mount, oak plinth and deck level. It was out, not by a lot but I can now sit here pleased without my mornings work !! 

Glenn

• Like 1

Here is how I did it. I did post about this. The thread is on page three of this section, and is titled "New Level (leveling tool)."

Main bearing, centre of gravity of level, and tonearm pivot are inline.

62D31557-F6D0-4E7D-8588-607F64CD3008.jpeg

• Like 1

Here it is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Here it is.

Hi 

It sounds much better if it’s made in Scotland like mine.😉😎👍

ED5CF918-FA56-42D3-8412-7E2C57241F74.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

Hi 

It sounds much better if it’s made in Scotland like mine.😉😎👍

ED5CF918-FA56-42D3-8412-7E2C57241F74.jpeg

I just checked mine. "Made in USA." :(

• Like 2

Assembled in (fill in the blank), parts fabricated in the PRC!  :o

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blade said:

No plans to tinker with the LP12 - might consider a move to MC next year which will mean new cart/s and phono stage.

I'd agree with this. The LP12 that you have chosen is very capable - any upgrades on this are nice but diminishing returns really do kick in. This LP12 will handle a decent MC without any issue at all - in fact the quality of the MC Phono stage will likely have more effect than the equivalent money spent on 'upgrades'.

33 minutes ago, dol said:

Good lock leveling using an iPhone with it's camera bulge, maybe an iPhone 8 in a leather case.

I just happen to have an iPhone 8+ in a leather case!  But I've never even tried to use it for leveling.  I have a Rökle level which has an accuracy with one division being an error of .008" pre foot.  Yes, that is 8 thousandth of an inch per foot.  It is actually one of their less precise levels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

I just happen to have an iPhone 8+ in a leather case!  But I've never even tried to use it for leveling.  I have a Rökle level which has an accuracy with one division being an error of .008" pre foot.  Yes, that is 8 thousandth of an inch per foot.  It is actually one of their less precise levels.

There’s a Roeckle (?) spirit level app available for Android.

’troll

• Upvote 1