Marantz Model 30 or Denon PMA-2500NE?

TIU

The Model 30 integrated is an 'analogue' amp whereas the Denon has digital inputs. I'm mostly an analogue user but the Denon's versatility appeals. Anyone experience of either amp?

Edited by TIU

When I dem'd my amp I had a brief listen to the 2500. It was excellent but I didn't need the extra power - or expense.

My Denon works very well with my Proacs. I can at least recommend a listen. The on-board phono stage is very good too.

And you can switch off the digital circuits, which IMO makes a reasonable difference.

17 hours ago, TIU said:

The Model 30 integrated is an 'analogue' amp whereas the Denon has digital inputs. I'm mostly an analogue user but the Denon's versatility appeals. Anyone experience of either amp?

I'm not sure what you mean by that? The Marantz has a Class D output stage, the Denon is A/B. My choice would be the latter.

Because I foresaw your comments so put 'analogue' in quotes and italics but it happened anyway.

I have read it described as an anologue amp purely due to it having no digital inputs per se.

Edited by TIU

55 minutes ago, lazycat said:

When I dem'd my amp I had a brief listen to the 2500. It was excellent but I didn't need the extra power - or expense.

My Denon works very well with my Proacs. I can at least recommend a listen. The on-board phono stage is very good too.

And you can switch off the digital circuits, which IMO makes a reasonable difference.

Thanks for your input, that's useful to hear. I could buy a 2500NE then never use the digital side so that puts me off.

11 minutes ago, TIU said:

Because I foresaw your comments so put 'analogue' in quotes and italics but it happened anyway.

I have read it described as an anologue amp purely due to it having no digital inputs per se.

Strange way to categorise an amp, by its' input types? No matter; the two amps you've highlighted are chalk and cheese, sound wise. If yiu want a great Class D amp then look no further than a Gato 250s.

The Denon is a very good amp, often overlooked. However, if you only want line inputs then I'd also suggest the Exposure 3510. Electrocompaniet ECI80 is another to consider. Lots if choice around that kind of budget.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, simon g said:

Strange way to categorise an amp, by its' input types? No matter; the two amps you've highlighted are chalk and cheese, sound wise. If yiu want a great Class D amp then look no further than a Gato 250s.

The Denon is a very good amp, often overlooked. However, if you only want line inputs then I'd also suggest the Exposure 3510. Electrocompaniet ECI80 is another to consider. Lots if choice around that kind of budget.

Thanks. I need lots of inputs so ruled out many amps early on like the Gato.  I need a tape loop which is getting rarer these days.

The Denon is by far the better amp. The 1600 is almost as good but with less power but a lot cheaper. Class A/B Topology too. 
On both these amps, they have a decent DAC

Not being funny but the Marantz looks odd too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

The Denon is by far the better amp. The 1600 is almost as good but with less power but a lot cheaper. Class A/B Topology too. 
On both these amps, they have a decent DAC

Not being funny but the Marantz looks odd too. 

TBH the 1600 was better than any of the Britsh and Yamaha amps I listened to.

Of course it's personal pref., but I was surprised and still remain very, very happy with my choice.

• Like 1

I have the Denon amp (bought from Rob Hoopsontoast) and am absolutely delighted with it. Like many I wanted to minimise the number of my boxes and I’m happy I got the 2500. It’s powerful, flexible and beautifully built. Everybody who’s heard it comments on the natural tone with plenty of grunt. The inbuilt dac is excellent, the only drawback is it’s big. Very big!

Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 3

Here's another example of an amp being described as 'analogue' despite the fact it utilises the same Hypex all analog class D power module as used in the I15 Prisma.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/primare-i15-analogue-amplfier

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TIU said:

Here's another example of an amp being described as 'analogue' despite the fact it utilises the same Hypex all analog class D power module

Not your fault but wherever this trend for referring to 'analolgue' amps came from, it's daft IMHO.

(I'm not in a position to help with your amp choice I'm afraid.)

Just now, Bigwig07 said:

Some people thanks that class D amps are digital.

think that