Marantz Model 30 or Denon PMA-2500NE?

TIU

On 18/09/2021 at 15:28, radiant red said:

The Denon is by far the better amp. The 1600 is almost as good but with less power but a lot cheaper. Class A/B Topology too. 
On both these amps, they have a decent DAC

Not being funny but the Marantz looks odd too. 

Hey RR have you directly compared the two then ?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Bigwig07 said:

Hey RR have you directly compared the two then ?

Nope! But heard both the Denons and they are more flexible and not class D plus the Marantz looks awful 

39 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Nope! But heard both the Denons and they are more flexible and not class D plus the Marantz looks awful 

Hmm but the Marantz Model 30 is very very similar to the KI Ruby, which has received stellar reviews. Not all class D is crap (Marantz PM KI Ruby, PM30, Primare i35, Roksan Oxygene etc).

I've not heard either but i am attracted to high end Jap amps - Yamaha is another possibility in this price range ?

Or Sugden ofc 😉

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Bigwig07 said:

Hmm but the Marantz Model 30 is very very similar to the KI Ruby, which has received stellar reviews. Not all class D is crap (Marantz PM KI Ruby, PM30, Primare i35, Roksan Oxygene etc).

I've not heard either but i am attracted to high end Jap amps - Yamaha is another possibility in this price range ?

Or Sugden ofc 😉

Thing is, it’s always best to try them in your system. If I had to buy blind then imo, the safer bet sonically, would be the Denon. The Marantz like Hegel, get glowing reviews but it’s long term ownership. True, I’ve had a few amps go through my hands, Luxman, Pathos, Copland to name a few, none are bad but it’s finding the synergy. So many mistakes are made Purley based on reviews. My purchases were a no loss transaction but it ticked the box of ‘ive tried’ 

Currently my Sugden ticks 90% of my likes and my Primaluna pre/Copland power does the same but in different ways. I could live with either on my Harbeths or Proacs but the Sugden has the characteristics I prefer on the Proacs. 
I have no desire to move on either of the combinations but I’d like to ad another Copland power if I can find one which hasn’t been easy. 

Of the other above amps, the Pathos could have easily been a keeper but the other two integrated’s may have performed better on different speakers but I’m a sucker for Harbeth and Proac. 
If I ever update the Harbeths, it won’t be for Harbeth new because their prices are ridiculous now and the next model up would be the 40’s at 15k!!! 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 18/09/2021 at 18:55, CliveD said:

I have the Denon amp (bought from Rob Hoopsontoast) and am absolutely delighted with it. Like many I wanted to minimise the number of my boxes and I’m happy I got the 2500. It’s powerful, flexible and beautifully built. Everybody who’s heard it comments on the natural tone with plenty of grunt. The inbuilt dac is excellent, the only drawback is it’s big. Very big!

Good luck with your decision. 

Yep, the PMA-2500NE is a corker. As much power as you could pretty much every need, loads of inputs and I found the DAC to be excellent. The only downside is the sheer size, make sure it fits on/in your rack.

So much so, I now have an older PMA-2000IVR, pretty much the same amplifier inside without the DAC. Years ago, before both I had the PMA-2000AE, the middle model, again, as far as I can tell and remember, pretty much the same as the PMA-2000IVR. The main difference operation wise, IIRC the 2500NE does not have a pre out, where as the older models do. I remember the built in phonostage being great in the 2500NE and 2000AE, I've not had a chance to try it in the 2000IVR yet.

System Denon PMA-2000IVR

Denon PMA-2000AE Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

EDIT- Double Post

Edited by HoopsOnToast

I've settled on a used but like new Marantz PM-11. Impossible to try it beforehand so I'll have to see how it gets on with my ProAcs. It's in the gold finish so another amp that doesn't match the rest of my system but that doesn't bother me. It's a brute at 444 mm depth (and almost 27 kg) so it will only just fit on my rack shelf.

PM11S2-jordan 2.jpg

• Like 4

Super Wammer

Nice one!  Best of both worlds I’d say.   Let us know how you get on.

I was going to look back the last year or so because Andrew Everard reviewed both Series 30 and the Denon anniversary pairing in Hifi News.  Probably on their website now.  Then revised versions of the write ups appeared in either Gramophone or Hifi Critic, can’t recall which.  I do recall he thought the best value item was the Series 30 streamer, but don’t quote me on that.  FWIW I like the new Marantz look. 

Super Wammer

To save anyone else hunting, here are the reviews I was thinking of   The Denon amp is possibly the better, though less powerful in watts - but more current reserves.  They specifically state it’s considerably quieter - better SN ratio - than the PMA-2500.  

https://www.hifinews.com/content/denon-dcd-a110pma-a110-sacd-playeramplifier

https://www.hifinews.com/content/marantz-sacd-30nmodel-30-sacdnetwork-playeramp

Edited by Nopiano

I looked at the Exposure 3010S2D and if you want to add a phono board (MM or MC) and/or a DAC it gets expensive. This amp is the class swot - nothing to look at but brilliant inside. I'm not a bling lover but I do like to like how gear looks.

On 18/09/2021 at 14:55, simon g said:

Electrocompaniet ECI80 is another to consider. Lots if choice around that kind of budget.

Is there such an integrated amp? I can find a cdp, a pre and mono blocks.

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, TIU said:

Is there such an integrated amp? I can find a cdp, a pre and mono blocks.

Here’s one I saw earlier…https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Integrated-Amplifier-Electrocompaniet-ECi-80D-Amp-DAC-Phono-RRP-3099-/255025800142?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0