Help to fix poorly marantz cd7

tackleberry

Gutted is the word.

Does anyone know anything about these machines. I can change belts on these players but I don’t have the know how with the rest really, I could learn, but I don’t want to learn the hard way!

switched it on one day and the laser is ‘ticking’ and not finding disc?......

• Sad 1

Have you cleaned the laser head ?

Edited by Audio Al
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

Gutted is the word.

Does anyone know anything about these machines. I can change belts on these players but I don’t have the know how with the rest really, I could learn, but I don’t want to learn the hard way!

switched it on one day and the laser is ‘ticking’ and not finding disc?......

I’ve got one that no longer works. I don’t think the transports are very reliable. I had mine fixed in about 2007 and it broke down again in about 2014. The DAC part no longer works either. I would love to get it fixed but it isn’t very convenient to send things off for repair at the moment.

Yes. 

the other thing is, the day it happened, I thought I could smell motor. Took me back to when I was a kid and used to play with motors with batteries that where too powerful for them, and they would burn out. 

it supposedly had a new laser put on it last year, but I can’t be certain of this looking at it. I’ve taken the base panel off and the transport pcb to see if I could see any obstruction on the worm gear, but I can’t see anything.

CC600793-6CDB-49EA-8A06-A67645BF5680.jpeg

I’m also very dubious of sending things anywhere.

I don’t want to have to eBay it spairs or repair, would break my heart. One of the best pieces of gear I’ve ever owned.

5 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

I’m also very dubious of sending things anywhere.

This is the company that Oxford Audio Consultants recommended to repair the unit, and they fixed it for me in 2007:

Sound Systems Technology
Unit 7 Bentinck Court
Bentinck Road
West Drayton   
Middlesex
UB7 7RQ

Tel.  +44 (0) 1895 422244
Email info@sstonline.co.uk
Web:  www.sstonline.co.uk

• Like 1

This is such a fabulous CDP. You need to  consult Marrantz or a very competent engineer. 

Bite the bullet with Marrantz if needs be.

There is a chap over on Pink Fish (Mike P) who repairs/upgrades older Phillips/Sony CDPs. I don’t know if he has experience of the CD7 but he’s worth talking to.

1 minute ago, ian917 said:

There is a chap over on Pink Fish (Mike P) who repairs/upgrades older Phillips/Sony CDPs. I don’t know if he has experience of the CD7 but he’s worth talking to.

I thought about him, in Sheffield too I believe. I’ve contacted him before about the amp he revamped that I have. Can anyone pm me his number?

I’ve used these guys for repairs before:

https://www.wilkinsons.tv

• Like 1

Tragic, a legendary player and Ken Ishiwata's finest probably. I had a Marantz CD17 mark2 for 16 years. It never misbehaved at all, but it has a different mechanism. I recently sold it to a fellow wammer  after I bought a Chord Qutest so I  just needed a good transport(I bought a Marantz ).

You might try this 

https://uk.electronic.partners/services/hifi-repair/recent-hifi-repairs/marantz-marantz-cd7-cd-drive-repair-in-dorset-uk/

Good luck Craig, not far from you geographically....

Thanks for all the replies people👍 much appreciated, I'm on it after the weekend.

Yes. 

the other thing is, the day it happened, I thought I could smell motor. Took me back to when I was a kid and used to play with motors with batteries that where too powerful for them, and they would burn out. 

it supposedly had a new laser put on it last year, but I can’t be certain of this looking at it. I’ve taken the base panel off and the transport pcb to see if I could see any obstruction on the worm gear, but I can’t see anything.
CC600793-6CDB-49EA-8A06-A67645BF5680.thumb.jpeg.703748b55f28f17f341e68adf8599bb8.jpeg
Maybe could do worse than spend a couple of pounds on a new motor and swapping the worm gear over if the original is shot...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mabuchi-FF-030PK-Motor-DC-3V-6V-Micro-030-DC-Motor-for-Electronic-Door-Lock-Car-/262677114254

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk