Single driver/ dual concentric speakers

bandit pilot

Having been surprised by my recent Tannoys, just wondered what else is out there and people's thoughts.  Particularly interested in a more modern looking package to keep swmbo happy. Zu perhaps?

Edited by bandit pilot

7 minutes ago, Rothwell Audio said:

Tannoys aren't single driver, they dual concentric.  The tweeter is located in the centre of the woofer.

Yes, I stand corrected, but you know what I meant😁

• bandit pilot changed the title to Single driver/ dual concentric speakers

I was impressed by the Kef LS50's Uni-Q drivers last time I heard them.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

You sayin' your other arf don't like my Sterlings mate😲😲😲 Just tell her she has no taste from me?

20 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I was impressed by the Kef LS50's Uni-Q drivers last time I heard them.

I recently compared the KEF's LS50 meta to the original LS50.  Both sound good, but the meta has better balance and is slightly less forward, while being a bit more detailed with a cleaner bass response.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Yes, I stand corrected, but you know what I meant😁

In some quarters there are people who rave about "full range drivers" which are true single drivers making an attempt to cover the full audio spectrum.  Of course, they don't do 20Hz-20kHz but the afficionados tolerate the lack of output at the frequency extremes to benefit from their other perceived benefits.  They're particularly popular with the open-baffle brigade.
I thought you were referring to those.  My apologies.

Zus are marmite: they are far from accurate but some people like how they sound. Probably won't suit classical but may sound "exciting" with rock and stuff.

There's something special about the sound of a large sensitive woofer.

2 minutes ago, Rothwell Audio said:

In some quarters there are people who rave about "full range drivers" which are true single drivers making an attempt to cover the full audio spectrum.  Of course, they don't do 20Hz-20kHz but the afficionados tolerate the lack of output at the frequency extremes to benefit from their other perceived benefits.  They're particularly popular with the open-baffle brigade.
I thought you were referring to those.  My apologies.

The only thing they've got worth praising is the point-source(ness). I had a couple of pairs back when I was chasing wild geese...

• Upvote 1

So the single driver might not cover the "full audio spectrum" but how many people can actualy hear 20Hz-20KHz?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tuga said:

The only thing they've got worth praising is the point-source(ness). I had a couple of pairs back when I was chasing wild geese...

Indeed - but DC/coaxial drive units can give you the point source-ness without the less desirable characteristics of "full range" drivers. Having done the Lowther thing in the past, I can understand the appeal, but I wouldn't go there again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DaveyTed said:

So the single driver might not cover the "full audio spectrum" but how many people can actualy hear 20Hz-20KHz?

Few to none (at the high end), but the limitations of trying to use a single driver to try to cover a 'full' range are unquestionably audible.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Would any Fyne Audio models pass the aesthetics test I wonder? As you may know, I believe the company was formed by ex-Tannoy staff. The models I've heard sounded decent too. The larger models use a dual-concentric tweeter/mid but then a separate bass driver. Is this 'allowed' here?

• Upvote 1