Single driver/ dual concentric speakers

bandit pilot

3 hours ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

And do what with them?ūüė≤

They are of an age & rarity to warrant being kept as they are not butchered to make another pair of speakers. I'm sure there are plenty of wammers who would jump at the chance to own them just as they are.

If he likes the sound so much there’s nothing wrong with simply taking the drive unit and crossovers out and putting the original cabs in storage.

If you remember you had me alter them when you had them anyway!ūüėā

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

If he likes the sound so much there’s nothing wrong with simply taking the drive unit and crossovers out and putting the original cabs in storage.

If you remember you had me alter them when you had them anyway!ūüėā

Yeah and a great job you did too they sound superb if you strip out the drivers the chances are you won't get that sound again.

12 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Yeah and a great job you did too they sound superb if you strip out the drivers the chances are you won't get that sound again.

Fear not mate, I've got no desire to spoil them. Far easier to find what would replace them and let someone else enjoy these as they are.

Besides, I haven't got anything like the spare time a pair of bespoke cabs would eat up. I barely get chance to listen, never mind make it first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Fear not mate, I've got no desire to spoil them. Far easier to find what would replace them and let someone else enjoy these as they are.

Besides, I haven't got anything like the spare time a pair of bespoke cabs would eat up. I barely get chance to listen, never mind make it first.

Thank chuff for that image.png.85050b940b38fe73a703fd78e9c3730e.png

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II

21 hours ago, tuga said:

There's something special about the sound of a large sensitive woofer.

Especially when married to a tweeter and a mid range (or another sensitive woofer in a 2 1/2 way system) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bandit pilot said:

Wood is too expensive anyway Rick 

I once built some World Audio WD20Ts which use a Seas concentric  and a Seas bass woofer in parallel. They were quite good, especially after fitting some Batpure supertweeters on the front baffle which made a hell of a diffference. According to Peter Comeau, the designer,  being stuck in the middle of a bass cone, D/C tweeters often need a bit of help for power output reasons. My mate still uses them.

18 minutes ago, Alvolake said:

According to Peter Comeau, the designer,  being stuck in the middle of a bass cone, D/C tweeters often need a bit of help for power output reasons.

In most coaxes the midrange cone acts as a waveguide which narrows the directivity of the tweeter. Some people may find them "dark" sounding.

Genelec has designed a wide-directivity coaxial:

https://audioxpress.com/article/r-d-stories-genelec-8351-acoustically-coaxial-sam-system