Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

Personal attacks are not acceptable. One member is now on a two week holiday. Please try not to join them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Daveyf thinks the Ekos could be better. I suggest to start an Ekos thread where you can list all the changes you'd like to see in one place.

There are many things in life that I think could be improved. I, either, live with the shortcomings or don’t buy them in the first place. I don’t go on to forums, especially Owners Clubs, and constantly go on about them needing to be improved, especially if it’s something I don’t appear to own and use. It would be nice if we could get back on topic and discuss the developments that have taken us by surprise and enthused us.

’troll

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

In my opinion, Linn seems fairly capable of deciding on engineering upgrades that improve sound quality. I doubt I could offer any useful advice in this area. My deck sounds wonderful with an Ekos SE, which I prefer over the Naim ARO, if Linn comes out with a better arm I'll definitely listen to it, but if they don't I'm more than happy with my Ekos SE. In the meantime, I'll listen to the new Radikal, but will stay with my Krystal as I'd be even more nervous with £5,500 Ekstatic (shame it's not got an unbreakable optical stylus for an old codger like me). 

I've heard an improvement with the various upgrades, but the biggest and most surprising one was Urika II. Apparently, this will be even better with the new Radikal. 

• Like 5

Here's some useful information sent to me by a dealer:

Trade in of Kandid for Ekstatik $1300

Ekstatik for Ekstatik $1950.

However, the trade in of Kandid or Akiva for Kandid is going down to $1040, which is also the price for Akiva to Ekstatik.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2

I just ran the numbers. The ongoing cost for an Ekstatic, here in the US, comes out to $103/ month based on a 50 month life. This is trading in like for like.

I can't come up with any justification.......................to not get the Ekstatic! :D

But not until the Kandid wears out.*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I just ran the numbers. The ongoing cost for an Ekstatic, here in the US, comes out to $103/ month based on a 50 month life. This is trading in like for like.

I can't come up with any justification.......................to not get the Ekstatic! :D

Not too bad right and seems reasonable.  I prefer not to do this same calculation for the New Generation DSM because it wont make any sense...;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

How many hours is 50 months?

• Like 1

The Ekstatik looks like a good deal with trade in. With no trade in, the price is bringing it into Koetsu, My Sonic, Air Tight, top flite Ortofon and a number of other superb cartridge maker territory.  Pretty stiff competition!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Well, you’re not getting any younger… (neither am I)

I would have asked if you do the same when you buy a car, but, here certainly, the value of used cars is on the rise - mine has just gone up £3k!

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

How many hours is 50 months?

A lot, under normal conditions, even more during a pandemic. But I'll have the Klimax SH by then. I should be doing more DSing. And hopefully doing other things as well, such as travel, skiing, evenings in Vancouver, etc.

I'm thinking the Kandid may not last four years as I've been listening a lot in the past year and a half.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

Well, assuming the life of a quality cartridge stylus is roughly 3000 hours, that's 12 hours a day for a little over 4 years.  That's a heck of a lot of play time!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, sktn77a said:

that's 12 hours a day

Sounds about right. :D

3000 hours? I'll take it!

• Haha 2

I did notice somewhere that someone half jokingly mentioned that for those with below a Lingo  4 PS then waiting a while and taking advantage of all the used Lingo 4s that would be hitting the market soon could be an interesting strategy. The introduction of the Radikal 2, unlike the introduction of the Ekstatik removes, as far as I can see, the original Radikal from the shelves. This actually makes it quite a jump from L4 to R2.If one hasn't already got a Radikal it is suddenly a 25% price hike to the next level  - Lingo 5 anyone?

Edited by Dasher

3 hours ago, frans5508 said:

Not too bad right and seems reasonable.  I prefer not to do this same calculation for the New Generation DSM because it wont make any sense...;-)

Well, in the video on Facebook, Gilad suggested a 15 year lifespan, so £2k a year for the KDSM/3. What will £2k be worth in 15 years time, I wonder?

’troll

• Like 1