Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

I cut the screw and problem solved. It is close but no contact. Plinth is of 2007 vintage.

D1D92C84-1408-4088-9B1F-0DC5698AFA36.jpeg

Edited by HBerg
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 22:43, HBerg said:

I cut the screw and problem solved. It is close but no contact. Plinth is of 2007 vintage.

Amazingly lovely plinth, but the picture does not indicate which screw you are referring to. :)

• Upvote 1

The screw, which holds on the Trampolin foot and is directly under the motor on some older Trampolin 2s, probably would still need to be cut down as Linn has only machined 1mm off the bottom plate of the motor.  But it is likely enough to keep the ring from touching the motor housing on all but the most shallow of plinths.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dol said:

Amazingly lovely plinth, but the picture does not indicate which screw you are referring to. :)

Yeah thanks, plinth is nice (Walnut). As Thomas wrote it is the screw on the Trampolin2 that I cut. Before the cut it was touching the motor (Radikal). It was a comment to Thomas' post on the previous page. 

In case anybody was thinking of trying it I checked with Linn to see if the new controller could work with the old motor and vice versa.  The answer is no.  The new and old parts are incompatible and combining them would result in an incorrect speed.  I was honestly more concerned you might blow something up!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

In case anybody was thinking of trying it I checked with Linn to see if the new controller could work with the old motor and vice versa.  The answer is no.  The new and old parts are incompatible and combining them would result in an incorrect speed.  I was honestly more concerned you might blow something up!

OK, so then we will not be able to find out which items gives the most benefit, motor or PSU. But then I wonder if Linn will still have the old motor for substitute when a motor fails.....and all the motors that is replaced by new is in the waste.........or if the plan is that if a motor fails you have to upgrade to the new motor/PSU. And when the update program is stopped you can throw your Radikal in the trash.

Edited by HBerg

5 minutes ago, HBerg said:
15 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

OK, so then we will not be able to find out which items gives the most benefit, motor or PSU. But then I wonder if Linn will still have the old motor for substitute if it fails.....and all the motors that is replaced by new is the waste.........

I was expecting that someone somewhere ;) would want to test to find out which of the new parts makes the biggest improvement, which is why I asked Linn service.  I expect Linn will still have replacement Radikal 1 parts for some time to cover any needed repairs (although I have found it exceedingly rare to have a problem with a Radikal).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I was expecting that someone somewhere ;) would want to test to find out which of the new parts makes the biggest improvement, which is why I asked Linn service.  I expect Linn will still have replacement Radikal 1 parts for some time to cover any needed repairs (although I have found it exceedingly rare to have a problem with a Radikal).

Yes, for a while maybe but Linn is not known for support of outgoing products. That's why I think it's a pity that the used motors, that can work for many years, ends their lives in the trash. Everybody knows that a brushed motor will fail eventually.

Edited by HBerg

I don't suppose that question will be answered as they've always come as a set anyway.

Most previous comparisons will have been between Akurate and Klimax cases.

Never heard of a faulty Radikal motor yet.

I have a Klimax and an upgrade kit is on order even just the design changes to the motor are enough for me any other improvement is a bonus.

I'm not going to penny pinch with a deck at this level. 😎👍🏻
You'd have to be stupid to spoil the ship for a ha porth of tar.😂

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

I'm not going to penny pinch with a deck at this level. 😎👍🏻

You sounds like a dream customer 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

In case anybody was thinking of trying it I checked with Linn to see if the new controller could work with the old motor and vice versa.  The answer is no.  The new and old parts are incompatible and combining them would result in an incorrect speed.  

While I believe Tom, I find it very hard to believe Linn's response!  Maybe some enterprising dealer/customer can test out this assertion....................

🤨

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

While I believe Tom, I find it very hard to believe Linn's response!  Maybe some enterprising dealer/customer can test out this assertion....................

🤨

Actually, I don't find it hard to believe at all.  The fact that the optical sensor board is changed along with the motor and controller board seems to me to indicate that the timing information is handled differently.  Otherwise why not just use the same sensor board.  Also the motor has some electronics internal to it and those in the new motor are said to be improved such as to be electrically quieter.  These changes could again effect compatibility with older parts.  But I'd be glad to hear what happens if someone wants to try it - as long as it isn't with my unit!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Actually, I don't find it hard to believe at all.  The fact that the optical sensor board is changed along with the motor and controller board seems to me to indicate that the timing information is handled differently.  Otherwise why not just use the same sensor board.  Also the motor has some electronics internal to it and those in the new motor are said to be improved such as to be electrically quieter.  These changes could again effect compatibility with older parts.  But I'd be glad to hear what happens if someone wants to try it - as long as it isn't with my unit!

I'll bet and I'm not volunteering my unit either .......... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I heard from what would be considered a reliable source that there could be an option to upgrade to a Klimax Radikal 2 from an Akurate Radikal 1 at some point for an upgrade price of some sort. Perhaps not straight away but at some point. 

Has any one else heard this bit of info? No idea it the info is a akurate (ha ha) or not. Have not read about this anywhere, just a text message sometime last week. 

5 hours ago, macfan said:

I heard from what would be considered a reliable source that there could be an option to upgrade to a Klimax Radikal 2 from an Akurate Radikal 1 at some point for an upgrade price of some sort. Perhaps not straight away but at some point. 

Has any one else heard this bit of info? No idea it the info is a akurate (ha ha) or not. Have not read about this anywhere, just a text message sometime last week. 

Yes, that’s available now and it’s what I’m doing. I’m trading in my ARadikal against a KRadikal2 and there is a trade in allowance from Linn, as there was with the KDSM/3, which, in effect, reduces the price. You can still negotiate a trade in  with your dealer.

There should be an official announcement next week - contact your dealer.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1