Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes, that’s available now and it’s what I’m doing. I’m trading in my ARadikal against a KRadikal2 and there is a trade in allowance from Linn, as there was with the KDSM/3, which, in effect, reduces the price. You can still negotiate a trade in  with your dealer.

There should be an official announcement next week - contact your dealer.

’troll

in that case, I am going to do the same! If possible, could you give roughly the % of the trade-in value of the new price? Just to have a ball park so i can start saving and mentally prepare my wife ;-).

• Like 1

I got what I paid new for my Akurate Radikal as the trade-in price...

• Like 2

There is a trade in program from Linn for an Akurate Radikal to a Klimax Radikal 2 and also for a Lingo to a Klimax Radikal 2 (but not to an Akurate Radikal 2).  The trade in from Linn is $1300 on the Akurate Radikal and $795 for the Lingo (any version).  Linn has now pushed back the announcement to October 30th so they can get the new demo pieces to more dealers.

• Like 4

On 30/09/2021 at 14:53, HBerg said:

The grey dot came much later than Ekos2 so it is only the last years of production they were grey.

Mine has the grey/white dot and serial number is in the high 9XXX IIRC.

• Upvote 1

Mine too, S/N 92XX, bought mid 2000s.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another article with a bit more insight into what makes all this new stuff so good.

https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/news/596-linn-klimax-lp12-lands-with-surprises

Edited by akamatsu

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2021 at 07:59, Wenge1 said:

It's certainly fair to say they are happy to stay with it at the moment but who is to say that will stay the case in the near or long term future.  It just might not be top of their current improvement list.

Since I have opted for a Karman top plate over the standard Linn top plate it is just my personal opinion that the Linn top plate can be improved upon.  Others have different opinions which for them are equally valid.

Just to come back to this top plate discussion? I've looked at the Tiger Paw Khan at the time and now seeing this referral to the Karman top plate. Just curious what improvement 'upgrading' the top plate would do? Less vibrations or different? 

ps going through this whole thread again, one of the more interesting threads for sure touching several great topics!

On the discussion around the Ekos arm, I have the Ekos SE. What are the main differences with the SE/1 and is it worth an update? I am sure this is covered in other threads as well. 

8 minutes ago, frans5508 said:

On the discussion around the Ekos arm, I have the Ekos SE. What are the main differences with the SE/1 and is it worth an update? I am sure this is covered in other threads as well. 

Hi 

SE/1 has a larger headshell and shorter armtube improved preloaded bias unpainted platform and now a unpainted queuing device.

Not bad I think as these changes were made to facilitate other than only Linn cartridges.

Not sure if I would make it a new arm upgrade though. 🤔

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, frans5508 said:

Difference is a somewhat bigger shell and some black parts is now white. The latest SE was modified to give some bigger anti scate force. Linn has never claimed an improved sound quality.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, frans5508 said:

Just to come back to this top plate discussion? I've looked at the Tiger Paw Khan at the time and now seeing this referral to the Karman top plate. Just curious what improvement 'upgrading' the top plate would do? Less vibrations or different? 

ps going through this whole thread again, one of the more interesting threads for sure touching several great topics!

I think @Wenge1sums it up nicely. Some think that the apparent simplicity and longevity of the Linn top plate make it a candidate for improvement. I haven’t even seen, let alone heard either of the alternatives, so can’t comment on what they may or may not bring to the table (no pun intended). Both look to be more rigid, but anyone who has had to bend a Linn top plate to fit properly in a plinth will agree it is far from flimsy. My personal opinion is that elaborately machined top plates are another solution looking for a problem, as it’s such an obvious part that if Linn could have improved it, they would have done a long time ago. 

I work on the principle that all the parts of my Klimax LP12 have been developed and signed off with that old piece of stainless steel in place. So, I’m in the different, not necessarily better camp.

’troll

• Upvote 4

The Topplate and the perfect installation of it is one of the most important part of the LP12.

I‘ll do no comments of any third party Topplate….

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

The Topplate and the perfect installation of it is one of the most important part of the LP12.

Fascinating to me, I clearly undervalued the top plate. To @Moomintroll his point, if this was an obvious upgrade, Linn probably would have done this already.