Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

I heard that Lyra struggle to satisfy Linn’s demand for the Kandid and expansion to higher volume is not possible. Kandid will continue but you have to remember that it’s based on mid-range Lyra technology. For most of us, Kandid is a step too far but there are folks out there spending £6k on a cartridge for their Linn from the likes of Lyra and Dynavector. There will be a small number on f folks delighted with this new offering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, fordy said:

Oh dear, Loud and Clear’s FB post has gone. Hope they didn’t go too early! The cats out of the bag now. Oops.

Yes and they blamed the old linn forum for spilling the beans! And look what happened to that!

• Haha 4

I guess with only one (older) guy building them, Linn needs more than they can supply.  Having said that, what's going to happen to quality control with a higher volume product?

Over on another forum indicates demo units with dealers tomorrow for the new radikal so must be pretty imminent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, entdgc said:

Yes and they blamed the old linn forum for spilling the beans! And look what happened to that!

Linn has some strange ideas about marketing influence.  There's no question that a dedicated forum spurs sales (just look at the NAIM forum).  I guess Linn was too arrogant to relinquish control and the only way they could keep it was to close down the forum.  Just glad the 'WAM took over!

Oh well, onward and upward.........................

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

I‘m looking forward to the torque discussions regarding the two screws on the Ekstatik 😉

Don't look at me!  Considering the delicacy of the parts involved I suspect the torques will be too low to adjust with my precision driver and adjusting them is the kind of thing that master cartridge makers specialize in.  I also wouldn't really want to start messing with that on such an expensive cartridge.

Not that I would rule out playing around with the first worn out one going back to Linn for trade in.  But that is years away and I'd likely have to get some kind of really precise dental torque driver to handle the fine adjustments.

@ThomasOK We still need the best torque for attaching it to the Ekos SE, though 😉

Edited by Tendaberry

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

Interesting that Linn is ditching Lyra for their top-of-the-line cartridge.  I guess they didn't think much of the Atlas.  

I don't think that is likely for two reasons.  The Atlas is a far superior cart to the Kandid and the difference is very noticeable when listening.  Secondly, It is more likely to be connected with production levels.  Lyra just don't have the capacity to produce high volumes of very high spec carts and I believe they were nearly always behind the curve with respect to supplying the Kandid.

• Upvote 2

Just some info on the new products:

US prices:

Ekstatik: $7150

ARadikal: $5525

KRadikal: $8450

This came from a dealer.

I didn't get prices for the upgrade kits.

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

Interesting that Linn is ditching Lyra for their top-of-the-line cartridge.  I guess they didn't think much of the Atlas.  Never heard an EMT cartridge, but the Ekstatik certainly looks like their Novel range.

I think it was February when I first heard rumour of this new cartridge. At the time, we thought it would be based on the Lyra Atlas.

A couple of things I'm interested in are:

What will be the trade-in value for a Kandid towards an Ekstatik?

What will be the trade-in value for an Ekstatik for like?

I don't mind paying for the initial hit, but I'd like to see the ongoing cost be reasonable. Reasonable within this unreasonable context that is.

• Upvote 1

Will they finally have solved the infamous Radikal / Trampolin problem?

M.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tendaberry said:

@ThomasOK We still need the the best torque for attaching it to the Ekos SE, though 😉

Of course.  I'll be all over that.  I'm guessing the bronze-aluminum fittings will like a lower torque than the SS fittings on the Kandid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Will they finally have solved the infamous Radikal / Trampolin problem?

M.

Since it is a new motor case, one would certainly hope so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I didn't get prices for the upgrade kits.

I just saw this on another forum posted by a "Tendaberry." Probably a cousin of @Tendaberry.

An upgrade kit will be available, costing around € 2.255,-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1