Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

Those screws in the Ekstatik.... Are those for adjusting tune and PRaT?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

Don't make fun of flat-earthers. There are many of them, all over the globe.

On which side? On the upper side or down under?

• Haha 4

Probably going to be an unpopular post, BUT why on earth would Linn upgrade their cartridge ( the Kandid really isn't that weak a component) when the tonearm is way way past its sell by date! In the Linn hierarchy, the tonearm comes before the cartridge. Therefore, (IMHO) the tonearm is the place to upgrade, certainly before any cartridge! Ugh.

Because the cartridge supply was the limiting and it stopped them selling as many decks as they could of when everyone wanted a Karousel. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer more than just an Ekstatik in the future. I think it is interesting that this is the first time in decades we have more than 3 levels of performance. 

It is about not having all your eggs in one basket, or in this case Armour and Lyra. Offer more carts at more price points. Absolutely nothing to do with which component is the weakest link.

It is also far easier to develop a cartridge with a supplier (because they do most of the work) than a whole tonearm, so it might also be due to resource. 

Edited by VinylHabit
Spelling 😁

13 minutes ago, VinylHabit said:

Because the cartridge supply was the limiting and it stopped them selling as many decks as they could of when everyone wanted a Karousel. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer more than just an Ekstatik in the future. I think it is interesting that this is the first time in decades we have more than 3 levels of performance. 

It is about not having all your eggs in one basket, or in this case Armour and Lyra. Offer more carts at more price points. Absolutely nothing to do with which component is the weakest link.

It is also far easier to develop a cartridge with a supplier (because they do most of the work) than a whole tonearm, so it might also be due to resource. 

I think you have a very good point there. It is definitely a lot easier to out source a cartridge than a tonearm. OTOH, personally I wouldn't think of mounting a cartridge with the potential of the new Ekstatik on an old war horse arm like the Ekos SE..seems to me that you wouldn't hear what you are paying for with the Ekstatik.

Edited by Daveyf
  • Confused 2

Of course you would!

It is a straight A-B, is it better than a Kandid? You could do the dem on a Majik deck and you should hear the Ekstatik is better, otherwise Linn would not have released it or be asking that much for it. 

Would it be possible to get more out of it in future, with a better upgrade further up the chain? Sure. 

2 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

Ben… you are provocative! 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

I prefer neither, its the edge for me. Bit sharp on the old knackers but at least I can see both sides and get a a rounded view of everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

All joking aside, I am a little upset about this news of the Radikal upgrades.  I have had my Akurate Radikal for only a couple of months and already it seems it is now a little redundant.  I had planned to replace my phono stage and cartridge as the next upgrade stages but now this Radikal upgrade pops up.

No sleep last night does not help my mood or any clear thinging, but currently one unhappy camper.  Apologies I know I dont have to do any upgrades. Rant over! 

Hi 'Troll

Thanks for your reply and advice, I will speak to my dealer and see what can be done.  Lack of sleep clouds clear thinking 🙂 sleep first then phone call.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

Don't make fun of flat-earthers. There are many of them, all over the globe.

Don't worry too much - a steady flow of then fall off the edge of the flat Earth and end up in the bottomless abyss of eternal ignorance  ......... 🙄

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Well my order is in for an upgrade kit for my Klimax Radikal and Deck.  My dealer will let me know when it arrives. I can then go in for a demo of the new Klimax Radikal against the 'old' Klimax Radikal to hear what effect the upgrading of the Klimax Radikal has.  If I think its worth the extra cash I will go for the upgrade on the same visit.   Exciting times  ........... 😀

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Seibassman said:

Hi 'Troll

Thanks for your reply and advice, I will speak to my dealer and see what can be done.  Lack of sleep clouds clear thinking 🙂 sleep first then phone call.

I’m in the same boat. My Klimax Radikal just arrived a few days ago. Not even installed. Cymbiosis mentioned there was a deal for the upgrade if you just recently purchased one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1