Stereo Imaging!

Madvinyljunkie II

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, bigrod said:

That’s all that matters , your enjoyment of music ,  however it reaches your brain

Totally agree Julian but my addiction to stereo imaging began the day my mum & dad bought me a Fidelty UA4 record player with 2 speakers and I played my first record & wallop I was hooked just had to have it ever since.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, andrew s said:

It's a bit like driving a car. If I start thinking about what I am doing with my feet I revert to being a learner again!

Regards Andrew 

Like most drivers I travel the same routes often , like to my mums or daughters .. approximately 7- 10 miles .. I can drive the whole way and not remember the key land marks on the journey at all ..as to feet, I have size 12+ ,, I have to know we’re they are as it’s easy to touch the wrong peddle .. ok in an automatic though ..

Like you say , music is listened to like that sometimes..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kernow said:

If you don't have at least 5ft between your speakers you might as well buy a headphone setup 

The above statement may be true but not in all cases. The Totem tribe towers come to mind. 

Edited by Nativebon
Info
  • Like 1

Great subject this. I sense another 40+ pages coming!

Personally I feel the sound projected from the speakers is very room dependent. Shape of room, size etc.

Definitely worth experimenting with. I know that I am working with a lot of compromise with my choice of speaker. I would also say I will never hear it's potential given the size of the rooms in my house.

However I have derived a satisfying sound after spending time with speaker and stand placement.

I guess if I was an audio purest, which I definitely am not, I would build a system based on the room first.

Another interesting option is room correction. I know nothing about it but it does hold my interest and for that reason I will keep an open mind as to it's virtues or misgivings.

Edited by hiesteem
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Great subject this. I sense another 40+ pages coming!

Personally I feel the sound projected from the speakers is very room dependent. Shape of room, size etc.

Definitely worth experimenting with. I know that I am working with a lot of compromise with my choice of speaker. I would also say I will never hear it's potential given the size of the rooms in my house.

However I have derived with a satisfying sound after spending time with speaker and stand placement.

I guess if I was a audio purest, which I definitely am not, I would build a system based on the room first.

Another interesting option is room correction. I know nothing about it but it does hold my interest and for that reason I will keep an open mind as to it's virtues or misgivings.

With other speakers and systems I've tried using things like bass traps & panels which in my room just did'nt hepl much so did'nt solve the problem.
Never tried room correction so can't comment on that my room is 4.3m x 3.9m so not the largest 2 and long window on one wall means I can only really have the system firing across the narrow width.

I do have lots of things on the walls which seems to cut down a lot of reflections.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

With other speakers and systems I've tried using things like bass traps & panels which in my room just did'nt hepl much so did'nt solve the problem.
Never tried room correction so can't comment on that my room is 4.3m x 3.9m so not the largest 2 and long window on one wall means I can only really have the system firing across the narrow width.

I do have lots of things on the walls which seems to cut down a lot of reflections.

Yes, it's definitely a compromise with creating a soundstage and getting bass and treble sufficiently performing.

I do perhaps share a similar experience with speakers having abilities to project a large soundstage and so understand the delight when we spend time with speaker placement .

In fact it's one of the reasons I keep my Ruarks. Still puts a smile on my face now!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Just now, hiesteem said:

Yes, it's definitely a compromise with creating a soundstage and getting bass and treble sufficiently performing.

I do perhaps share a similar experience with speakers having abilities to project a large soundstage and so understand the delight when we spend time with speaker placement .

In fact it's one of the reasons I keep my Ruarks. Still puts a smile on my face now!

Same here with the Event Opals & what they lack in the looks department they make up for in performance in my room. I often find myself smiling widely with goosbumps when listening to them.😀

I'm loving my music as much as I've ever done😍

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

In fact probably lovin' my music more than I ever have👍😍😍😍

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Same here with the Event Opals & what they lack in the looks department they make up for in performance in my room. I often find myself smiling widely with goosbumps when listening to them.😀

I'm loving my music as much as I've ever done😍

Totally agree. Loving the music is the idea. In fact I made this decision in my mid thirties, many years ago.

Which meant I was fed up with chasing the impossible and settling for a complete system which works in such away as to  present the music.

I do the odd tweak now and again and spend money on the music. Been doing this for decades. Left my job and travelled and spent time defining a lifestyle which serves me.

The Event Opal do look like a very well thought out speaker and my guess is they were designed for optimal performance by the company. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

They certainly seem to have made a totally unique studio monitor and of course being active means my system has never been simpler with several boxes less now.

3102FE19-559E-45BA-BC02-853833FD939A.jpeg

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Did you try diffusers as well as the other sorts of acoustic treatment panels? I think Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s are great value at about £66 a panel, min 6, and I especially like them front centre behind the speakers, as well as on the rear wall. In that position at the front they really help focus the stereo image as well improving dynamics and resolution.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, rdale said:

Did you try diffusers as well as the other sorts of acoustic treatment panels? I think Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s are great value at about £66 a panel, min 6, and I especially like them front centre behind the speakers, as well as on the rear wall. In that position at the front they really help focus the stereo image as well improving dynamics and resolution.

Don't have any issues at all with my present set up so don't need anything adding. It's been a long journey & almost got there a couple of times but I now feel like it end game now👍

17 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

They certainly seem to have made a totally unique studio monitor and of course being active means my system has never been simpler with several boxes less now.

Just read a review on your Events. Didn't realise they had an aluminium casing and a beryllium tweeter.

An 8 inch woofer and active. All for under 2k. Plus what looks like a lot of research and development.

It's often well developed speakers like this that don't need so much extra attention as the works been done in development.  

History has given us such well developed speakers, Celestion sl6 series, Atc's, Tannoy just to name a few. When it's done this well I feel it can give us that bit extra in  complete system satisfaction.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

They are over 3k now & no longer made I am very tempted to buy a pair and leave them boxed for the future if there are any problems with mine.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Interesting thread this. I do get quite a good stereo image in my system but seeing your room I do wonder how much better things could be if I sorted out my plain walls.

20211004_131520.jpg

• Like 2