Stereo Imaging!

Madvinyljunkie II

4 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

They are over 3k now & no longer made I am very tempted to buy a pair and leave them boxed for the future if there are any problems with mine.

Definitely keepers. You would regret moving them on in a flight of something different. Done that too much when I was a lad 😉.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

It's something thats kind of developed over the years putting stuff on the walls, There is a heavy embossed paper on the walls too which maybe dampens reflections.

The wall behind me is also well covered too....

0F8C6006-E663-40DD-8668-97F554351F1F.jpeg

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

232A27DA-5F0F-4C14-A2A4-94BE6AF44205.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

Interesting thread this. I do get quite a good stereo image in my system but seeing your room I do wonder how much better things could be if I sorted out my plain walls.

20211004_131520.jpg

Nice system. How do you find the Exposure's? Often pays to put something behind the speaker's to dampen the wall reflections. I have book cases, pillows cushions etc. Homemade dampening!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Nice system. How do you find the Exposure's? Often pays to put something behind the speaker's to dampen the wall reflections. I have book cases, pillows cushions etc. Homemade dampening!

Originally I was demoing integrated amps and I preferred the 3010S2D before I got lucky and picked up the pre & monos for an absolute steal. Whilst I have not had the opportunity to try other price comparable amps, its unlikely I would consider replacing them unless I win the lottery. 

I have some cushions and plans to build bookcases although the mirror needs to go to, it was fitted for a very good reason but is no longer needed. It's surprising how much I enjoy my system despite the obvious reflection issues. :)

16333536740638938694827474383065.jpg

• Like 4

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

Originally I was demoing integrated amps and I preferred the 3010S2D before I got lucky and picked up the pre & monos for an absolute steal. Whilst I have not had the opportunity to try other price comparable amps, its unlikely I would consider replacing them unless I win the lottery. 

I have some cushions and plans to build bookcases although the mirror needs to go to, it was fitted for a very good reason but is no longer needed. It's surprising how much I enjoy my system despite the obvious reflection issues. :)

Enjoyment is the main thing mate just crack on & do that 👌🏻

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

I think the Exposure's are just that, an absolute steal, a cracking pre power for not too much money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Three sheds said:

Klassik sees some VHS tapes on those racks.  :o  Klassik hopes those were recorded in Hi-Fi, or linear stereo at the very least, if Three sheds wishes to hear much stereo imaging from those tapes.  ;)  Klassik reckons the rest of Three sheds's VHS collection is in the sheds?  xD

If Three sheds has played those cassettes recently, Klassik is curious to hear if there are any differences in how those three different brands of cassettes have held up over time.

On a different note, Klassik recently replaced the pads which Klassik's speakers sit on to fine cork pads from Portugal.  Ok, they're actually hot plate trivets, ;).  The thickness of the cork did raise the speakers about a quarter of an inch or so, but either the raising of the speaker level or the cork material itself, Klassik suspects the former, did lead to a difference in tonality with less emphasis on the highs and more on the lows.  Maybe Klassik is just imaging things, but Klassik has not been drinking anything often associated with cork.  xD  Stereo imaging has not changed significantly that Klassik can tell.  But, yes, it is interesting what impact small changes can make in the listening experience.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Klassik sees some VHS tapes on those racks.  :o  Klassik hopes those were recorded in Hi-Fi, or linear stereo at the very least, if Three sheds wishes to hear much stereo imaging from those tapes.  ;)  Klassik reckons the rest of Three sheds's VHS collection is in the sheds?  xD

If Three sheds has played those cassettes recently, Klassik is curious to hear if there are any differences in how those three different brands of cassettes have held up over time.

On a different note, Klassik recently replaced the pads which Klassik's speakers sit on to fine cork pads from Portugal.  Ok, they're actually hot plate trivets, ;).  The thickness of the cork did raise the speakers about a quarter of an inch or so, but either the raising of the speaker level or the cork material itself, Klassik suspects the former, did lead to a difference in tonality with less emphasis on the highs and more on the lows.  Maybe Klassik is just imaging things, but Klassik has not been drinking anything often associated with cork.  xD  Stereo imaging has not changed significantly that Klassik can tell.  But, yes, it is interesting what impact small changes can make in the listening experience.

All three tapes have Charlotte Church on them. Shall I post them to you? 😄

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

All three tapes have Charlotte Church on them. Shall I post them to you? 😄

Surely most of the Wigwam would appreciate these videos.  If nothing else, it beats watching Tom Jones even if ole' Klassik does generally like Tom Jones's music.  Hopefully that's not unusual.  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Hopefully that's not unusual.  xD

My, my, my.

Why, why, why?

• Haha 5

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, rdale said:

Did you try diffusers as well as the other sorts of acoustic treatment panels? I think Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s are great value at about £66 a panel, min 6, and I especially like them front centre behind the speakers, as well as on the rear wall. In that position at the front they really help focus the stereo image as well improving dynamics and resolution.

Maybe a picture would make what I'm talking about clearer. Here are the diffusers I have at the front and centre of my system:

Diffusers.thumb.jpg.148b9d82debcb792c000eda0b965eba6.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rdale said:

Maybe a picture would make what I'm talking about clearer. Here are the diffusers I have at the front and centre of my system:

Diffusers.thumb.jpg.148b9d82debcb792c000eda0b965eba6.jpg

I'm not sure whether I could live with the look of all those panels together. I assume you could cover them (or some of them) with accoustic cloth?

I recently went to audition a few hifi items at a shop. The shop in question is a new base, which is supposingly bigger and better than the old demo shop.

Having been to their old shop several times and knowing fully well that it sounded really good, was looking forward to the bigger newly treated room... Oh boy was I in for a shock... the new treated room sounded dreadful. Dull, and talk of cancellation of bass, as if a blackhole was invite to take center stage and suck the life out of the music.

Unless one has real problems one could exacerbate the problem.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

I'm not sure whether I could live with the look of all those panels together. I assume you could cover them (or some of them) with accoustic cloth?

Yes I think that would work. You can paint them too. For another system, I spray painted the GIK Gotham black and paired two of them on each side with two black DC2s each side.

• Upvote 1