Stereo Imaging!

Madvinyljunkie II

Super Wammer

I have spent yesterday evening & this morning playing 'The Mono Masters Box Set on CD' and enjoyed it very much hearing the original recording from the early 60's.

I have spent half an hour just picking various tracks from the same albums in the stereo box set also on CD to compare them to the mono version. My conclusion is that while the mono versions may be accurate the stereo versions are far more enjoyable and entertaining.

Also the fact the instruments and vocals are more separated it's much easier to get involved in the music, There is more air/space in the stereo recordings so you get a sense of being there in the studio.

As a result of listening to the whole mono box Set I am unlikely to repeat it in the future having found out my preference for stereo which is pretty obvious really. I enjoy owning the box set as it has so much history of the early Beatles in fact the booklet is worth having on it's own.

So Stereo for me it is then😝

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I like stereo imaging but seem to go out of my way to use speakers that are made for hard against the wall which I thought meant they would lose much of the imaging quality needed .

My second system which i use in a spare bedroom which is very small is an active three way . The speakers are stacked KEF103 with the bottom speaker only have connection to the bass units then the top speaker dealing with Mid and Treble .

When I finally got this all connected and working I was quite surprised that even as it is with them being just under five foot apart and me being about 7 ft away they started to have real imaging . However the change that seemed to make the most difference to the size and quality of the imaging was changing over all of the various switch mode power supplies to LPSU ones . The change was cumlative and with each change the background level got quieter and when this was done the imaging became taller and wider and more specific with voices and instruments having very paticular and specific placement. There also seemed to be an increased naturalness about the overall images produced by each album even though many of them are studio constructs so any image is false and engineered . Final result is a system that sounds effortless and musical and lets me listen for hours on end and not suffer any fatigue at all .

• Like 2

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, bencat said:

I like stereo imaging but seem to go out of my way to use speakers that are made for hard against the wall which I thought meant they would lose much of the imaging quality needed .

My second system which i use in a spare bedroom which is very small is an active three way . The speakers are stacked KEF103 with the bottom speaker only have connection to the bass units then the top speaker dealing with Mid and Treble .

When I finally got this all connected and working I was quite surprised that even as it is with them being just under five foot apart and me being about 7 ft away they started to have real imaging . However the change that seemed to make the most difference to the size and quality of the imaging was changing over all of the various switch mode power supplies to LPSU ones . The change was cumlative and with each change the background level got quieter and when this was done the imaging became taller and wider and more specific with voices and instruments having very paticular and specific placement. There also seemed to be an increased naturalness about the overall images produced by each album even though many of them are studio constructs so any image is false and engineered . Final result is a system that sounds effortless and musical and lets me listen for hours on end and not suffer any fatigue at all .

That sounds brilliant Andrew it's interesting that different power supplies can have such an impact on the music. What does the LPSU stand for and what are they supplying in the system?

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

That sounds brilliant Andrew it's interesting that different power supplies can have such an impact on the music. What does the LPSU stand for and what are they supplying in the system?

Sorry there have been so many threads on them that I presume most are aware of the acronym . Linear Power Supply Unit is the full title but when some threads get over 500 pages long you do not want to type that in full each time .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Ah! Your presumption does'nt take into account my numptyness mate😝

Isn't this hi-fi thing a bit of a bother. Had a pair of Totem tribe towers for home demo for about a week.. Now that's what I call imaging of a speaker. This speaker is a marvel when it comes to bass punch and definition... an absolute knockout. Then imaging is the best I've heard yet.

But there is a problem... The tribes sound very big but vocals sound small and distant. I suppose the 4inch woofers fine it hard to disperse the sound over a wide area.

It's hard to describe. A big soundstage with instruments and voices sounding small within the mix. That's as best I can describe the sound. You could pick out every instrument in the sound stage... easily!. But for 5k I thought the sound was a bit laid back. The tribes sound rich with loads of bass punch and rhythmic with it, and can play really loud. 

Not given up on them just yet, would try with different amp to see if the sound opens up a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

The tribes sound very big

Is this like the 'Battle of Little Big Horn' or am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, lazycat said:

Is this like the 'Battle of Little Big Horn' or am I missing something?

May be you are?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

May be you are?

Ahh. A nickname. With you.

Honestly thought you were describing some music and had lost the plot.

But it was me. rofl.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
On 03/10/2021 at 15:28, rabski said:

The ultimate test? Jack knows this, as does Tom and as do others who appreciate good, early recordings.

Play something true mono.

If your system 'images' well, a mono recording will still have a real feeling of width and depth. It certainly will not have all the music focused in a spot somewhere between the speakers.

This is exactly what I experience when playing my late Grandfather's classical records! And it really surprised me! I can understand why some were sceptical about stereo when it came out... 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I prefer alot of  Miles Davis in Mono.  They made a real hash of some of the stereo versions.  

Super Wammer

I prefer Miles Davis with the mute button on my amp engaged...

😁

I love the illusion of a stereo image, especially when the effect presents each musical sound in its own "space", but without making it so disjointed that it spoils the impression of musicians actually playing together. It's the balance between the separation of each instrument - the "Golidlocks" position I suppose, where there is enough clarity and distinction to allow you to really hear into the performance and follow / appreciate each strand, but so that it doesn't sound disconnected.

Edited by Jules_S
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I get the wide image playing the mono recordings but the various instruments are still overlaid somewhat while the stereo image is more widely dispersed across the speakers. At sensible volumes they can be clearly heard in their own space which is what I love about stereo.

Even more so when listening to Electronica the artists apply more effort to maximise the stereo illusion of depth width & height that can really hold your attention. Shpongle, TJ Rehmi, The Orb, and Orbital are just a few who do this really well👍