Stereo Imaging!

Madvinyljunkie II

Miles Davis Kind of Blue is a great example. It was originally released I believe in both stereo and mono versions, both mixed from the (long lost) master tapes. Davis apparently preferred the mono.

I've got a relatively early pressing of the stereo and some later versions and the mono. The mono obviously doesn't place instruments spatially, but it's like sitting further back in the room at the performance and still has a 'live' feeling. The stereo makes it far too obvious that it's a stereo system. Some bits are hard left or hard right in the mix and it just doesn't sound natural.

• Like 3

On 14/10/2021 at 18:16, Nativebon said:

Isn't this hi-fi thing a bit of a bother. Had a pair of Totem tribe towers for home demo for about a week.. Now that's what I call imaging of a speaker. This speaker is a marvel when it comes to bass punch and definition... an absolute knockout. Then imaging is the best I've heard yet.

But there is a problem... The tribes sound very big but vocals sound small and distant. I suppose the 4inch woofers fine it hard to disperse the sound over a wide area.

It's hard to describe. A big soundstage with instruments and voices sounding small within the mix. That's as best I can describe the sound. You could pick out every instrument in the sound stage... easily!. But for 5k I thought the sound was a bit laid back. The tribes sound rich with loads of bass punch and rhythmic with it, and can play really loud. 

Not given up on them just yet, would try with different amp to see if the sound opens up a bit.

Just a suggestion but if you are looking for a big soundstage with big rich vocals front and centre you could try demoing Klipsch Cornwall 3's. Obviously I'm biased but I am very impressed with the vocal presentation. 

Cheers Ady 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ady said:

Just a suggestion but if you are looking for a big soundstage with big rich vocals front and centre you could try demoing Klipsch Cornwall 3's. Obviously I'm biased but I am very impressed with the vocal presentation. 

Cheers Ady 

The purpose of getting something like the Totem tribe towers is due to limited space of 16 × 11 feet. The Cornwall 3's way too big me thinks. ^_^