Extend Akurate Radikal XLR Power Cable length

• mbabst changed the title to Extend Akurate Radikal XLR Power Cable length

I’m sure you’re not the first to ask this question, but it may have been on the old Linn forum and not here. For the life of me, I can’t remember what the outcome was. I’ve a funny feeling that it’s not a good idea - possibly something to do with the timing? However, I may be just dreaming that. Sorry I can’t be any real help, but expect that @ThomasOK may know.

’troll

• Like 1

You can get a microphone extension cable.  Google XLR extension cable.  Amazon has loads of them.  Don't know if it will do anything to sounds quality, though.

15 hours ago, mbabst said:

Hi

I need a longer XLR Power Cable (approx 5m) from my Akurate Radikal to my LP12. Any suggestions what extension cable to use?

Martin

You will need two cables. Have a look at these.

DMX Lead, 5 Pin XLR Male to Female (2 Pair+Screen), 5m Black - Pulse | CPC UK (farnell.com)

Ah, yes, a Linn system. I'm a NAIM guy, myself...................................

I believe Linn says it is OK to extend them but I don't recall having tried it.  You might lose some musicality and I also don't expect they were talking about running it that long.  If you want to keep it Linn I believe part number CONN 1284/2 is the same cable used to go from the Radikal main box to the Urika.  It can be used as an extension for either cable but is 1.2 meters long, a fair bit shorter than what you are considering.  Overall, I'd recommend finding a way to get the main unit closer to the LP12.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It's easy to offer suggestions not having seen the details of your system or the associated space restrictions or preferences.

With that said, there's going to be at least one box within 1.2m of your turntable (the phono stage), so as others have suggested, it may be preferable to have your radikal close to the table as well if possible.   If you need long cables to get to the rest of your system, then maybe XLR cables between the phono stage and the preamp (or the preamp and the power amp) are also preferable.

• Upvote 2

Hi Martin,

It would be helpful to know the rest of the system, as if you have Urika 2 and exakt you can put the radikal and LP12 any where in the exakt chain it doesn’t have to be near the dsm unit.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Hi Martin,

It would be helpful to know the rest of the system, as if you have Urika 2 and exakt you can put the radikal and LP12 any where in the exakt chain it doesn’t have to be near the dsm unit.  

Having urika 2 and exakt is just what I would do...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2