Linn DSM and poweramps

Dear all, I have an ADSM/3 with an A2200 power amplifier. Lately I get the feeling that I would like to get a bit more ‘weight’ in my sound and a little less dry. So I plan to visit my hifi dealer in a few weeks to do some listening. But before I do, I would like to have some ideas and learn from your experiences. I was wondering what poweramps do or did you use with your DSMs, positive, negative experience with other brands or just keep it Linn?

thanks in advance! 🙂👍

Hi

Would be interesting to hear what speakers you are using. I recall that Kabers were on the dryish side but Keilidhs produced a comparatively softer sound. I am thinking back a long time so don’t take this as gospel. Also apologies for my dubious descriptions.

DJK

I use an Akurate Exaktbox-i. As Matteo says above, active is worth a listen, if only to decide that you don't like it. The Exaktbox-i is a very effective way of doing this. I have Keilidhs on the end.

Could potentially convert the Reference 1 for use with Exakt.

I prefer not to go active to be honest, the only thing that I consider is changing the power amp or leave it as it is (which is not too bad either 😉)

1 hour ago, Fenderbassplayer John said:

I prefer not to go active to be honest, the only thing that I consider is changing the power amp or leave it as it is (which is not too bad either 😉)

My Akurate DSM matches very equitably with my Nord power amp, and many modern class D amps are great performers as well as thrifty to buy and run.  But you are not limited by the source, so anything that takes your fancy, really.  My longer-term aim is ATC active speakers, but with your very nice KEFs I’d certainly try to audition a couple of different designs.  What sort of budget do you have?

If you complete your profile, you might get a chance to meet up with other Wammers nearby too.  

1 hour ago, Fenderbassplayer John said:

The same error I did for a decade or even more ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

My Akurate DSM matches very equitably with my Nord power amp

I tried my ADSM with a Chord Etude and it worked without any problems. The difference in sound between it and Linn Klimax Twin were not obvious - perhaps if I listened very carefully I might have been able to tell, but for simply enjoying music either power amp sounded great to me. I did for a while try a Naim NAP200 with a Linn MSDM and it worked without problems (despite Naim's advice to the contrary), but there was no advantage over using the MSDM's internal amp. So @Fenderbassplayer John I agree with @Nopiano you can use whatever power amps you would like to with a DSM. I'm passive BTW and none of the speakers I own (BBC derived designs) can be active without major surgery and as I'm happy enough with the sound I'll stay with them as they are. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 3

My vote would also be to go Aktiv but if that's not an option, I would suggest to make the step to Solos. 

Btw, is the A2200 the Dynamic version? If not, a Dynamic upgrade might give a bit more juice/punch. I upgraded my 4200's at the time and it made a difference. not huge to my ears though.

Edited by frans5508
  • Upvote 1

I have my ADSM/3 directly connected to ATC SCM50ASL active speakers. Great sounding and extremely simple combo. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

@frans5508it is the Dynamic version. Lots of love for active here I see 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Passive is as valid a path as active, so long as the components are good enough. I had Aktiv Kabers with, first, LK100s, then AV5125s and finally 2250s. I then moved to Espeks, running those Aktiv with the 2250s. After some years I tried a single Klimax Twin and preferred passive with that to the Aktiv 2250s, although it was a very close run thing.

Some years later I moved to Solos, and then changed the ‘speakers to passive Akubariks. More than happy with the system.

Mick

• Like 2

I have had both passive and active systems.  Active was both with original Linn Isobariks and later with ATC SCM100ASL.  I then went back to passive after finding that the ATCs were more musical with their passive crossovers and Lejonklou Tundra Mono power amps than they were with the built-in crossover/amp pack.  This despite all the theoretical advantages of the latter.  This also echoed my findings (and that of others) that Akurate 242s active with AV5125s or AK2200/4200s were not as musical as single amped with Klimax Solos.  Because of these experiences I now believe the most musical way to do things is to use the best amp single amped unless you can afford enough of the best amps to go active.  So if I go active again, and I haven't ruled it out, I will have to find enough rack space for 6 Tundra Monos as they are the best amps I have heard.

You might want to try to get your hands on a Lejonklou Tundra stereo or a pair of Tundra Monos to see if they give you what you are looking for.  I think they might fit your description.  You could also start saving up for when the Organik DAC upgrade becomes available.  You'll probably have some time as I have been lead to believe we wont see them before 2023.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3