Jump to content

Linn DSM and poweramps


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Fester said:

I have just ordered a second a4200 to power my passive Akubariks. 
I’ll report how happy I am later upon arrival.  
 

As an aside, advice from members regarding stacking the second amp on the first or does it require its own shelf, would be welcomed. 
Thanks

Congratulations on buying the new 4200.

As Tendaberry says, it is not a good idea to stack amps, but the feet on the top amp can ruin the finish on the bottom amp and leave a mark that is very difficult to remove if not impossible.

The ideal situation would be to have each 4200 on its own shelf or place the amps side by side without stacking leaving lots of room to breathe and stay cool.

As you know, the Akubariks require 5 channels of amplification each. What amplification are you using for the 5th channel on each Akubarik?  😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, HansBertil said:

Are you planning to go active or Exakt with your Akubariks?

Not yet. This is my financial limit presently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Congratulations on buying the new 4200.

As Tendaberry says, it is not a good idea to stack amps, but the feet on the top amp can ruin the finish on the bottom amp and leave a mark that is very difficult to remove if not impossible.

The ideal situation would be to have each 4200 on its own shelf or place the amps side by side without stacking leaving lots of room to breathe and stay cool.

As you know, the Akubariks require 5 channels of amplification each. What amplification are you using for the 5th channel on each Akubarik?  😊

Thanks Paul and Tendaberry, I had that feeling. 
I do have the option of another shelf.

As to the question of the fifth channel, a jumper will have to do for now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fester said:

Thanks Paul and Tendaberry, I had that feeling. 
I do have the option of another shelf.

As to the question of the fifth channel, a jumper will have to do for now.

I’m thinking of jumping the tweeter and super tweeter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Fester said:

I’m thinking of jumping the tweeter and super tweeter?

Those certainly require the least power, so it seems logical. However, I would try that as well as bridging upper bass and bass, to see which one you prefer.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

Those certainly require the least power, so it seems logical. However, I would try that as well as bridging upper bass and bass, to see which one you prefer.

9 hours ago, Fester said:

I’m thinking of jumping the tweeter and super tweeter?

As Tendaberry mentions, bridging the upper bass and bass drivers may be worth checking out as well.

‘I have an Akurate 225 centre channel speaker that is a 5 way speaker, and driving it with a 4 channel Akurate 4200, with an Exaktbox 6. The Akurate 225 centre channel is basically an Akurate 242 speaker turned on its side and reconfigured for duty as a centre channel. This is a recommendation from Linn for Exakt with the Akurate 225 speaker, so I have the jumper between the bass driver and the upper bass.

In your case however, with the passive Akubariks it may be a bit different. With my Exakted Akubariks, I have 5 channels of amplification, with 200 watts power on the Isobarik bass drivers and 100 watts or less on each the other drivers. I seem to recall the super-tweeter uses something like 50 watts

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...