Do Linn systems produce the best sound quality, compared to other brands?

wildwildWes

Thanks that's helpful and some I hadn't thought of.  I actually looked at the Lyngdorf but noticed that it (and maybe the others) don't have Tidal/Qobuz integrated so that's a deal breaker for me as I am after complete simplicity with decent performance.  Apologies, I should have mentioned that but wanted to avoid derailing the thread completely so I concentrated on a 'Here's the Linn - what's better?' kind of scenario.

Any others from anyone?  The NAD looks appealing.

6 minutes ago, Paulq said:

Thanks that's helpful and some I hadn't thought of.  I actually looked at the Lyngdorf but noticed that it (and maybe the others) don't have Tidal/Qobuz integrated so that's a deal breaker for me as I am after complete simplicity with decent performance.  Apologies, I should have mentioned that but wanted to avoid derailing the thread completely so I concentrated on a 'Here's the Linn - what's better?' kind of scenario.

Any others from anyone?  The NAD looks appealing.

The Blue Sound and NAD certainly have those plus I am fairly certain the Devialet does as well .

perhaps add the Hegel amps to that list too. 

5 hours ago, bencat said:

The Blue Sound and NAD certainly have those

That was a nice list you suggested above!  The NAD would be my choice if needing to avoid the very good Linn Majik, and it’s worth noting that a mark 2 NAD was recently announced so used ones should drop a bit more.  Or new old models may get offered at bargain prices.  

• Like 1

The NAD does look very interesting and the draw of using the BluOs app is really appealing.  It's actually around £400 cheaper than I could get a Majik DSM for so the thread is very appropriate.

On 13/10/2021 at 12:54, hiesteem said:

Hi fi equipment is always subjective and down to personal taste. I still haven't heard a turntable I would sooner listen too than the Lp12. They got the basics right in the first place and just tweaked it over the years.

Who is the "they" that you are refering to that you think got the basics right in the first place?

Do you mean Ivor T and his dad?

Or do you mean Hamish Robertson plus the guys at AR and Thorens with a little bit of input from Ivor T and his dad?

The Thorens TD150 which preceded the LP12 and the RD11 was a mid-range turntable in the Thorens group in the late 60's early 70's. The Thorens group made some far more expensive and better engineered and as a result significantly better sounding turntables than the 1973 LP12.

If the basics were right on the LP12, then in terms of sound quality they were far more right on the Thorens TD124 and EMT 930.

The LP12 of today would be significantly better sounding if it were based on the Thorens TD124 or EMT 930. But it wasn't. It was instead based on mid-range turntables. And therefore the basics of the LP12 were extremely lacking for something that just a few years later would be marketed as "The best turntable in the world"

All of this would be laughably funny if it weren't for the thousands of customers that were mislead into buying this mid-range turntable on the basis that it was the best in the world.

As an alternative, Linn could have dropped the LP12 as their flagship model and produced a turntable that was based on the Pioneer Exclusive P3 or P3A or the EMT 950.

But they never did this. We can speculate as to why this is. My speculation is that is because Linn have always been a marketing lead company and not an engineering lead one. And because Linn has never had a clue as to what really makes up the basics of producing a world class turntable by sound quality.

With the same thing applying to their speakers. And amplifiers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ivor was an astute salesman and fully aware that the key, with a pirated design, was marketing and control over the magazines and dealers.  The hifi industry and consumers suffered immensely as a result.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lindsayt said:

And because Linn has never had a clue as to what really makes up the basics of producing a world class turntable by sound quality.

With the same thing applying to their speakers. And amplifiers.

About 6 or 7 years ago a well known hi fi journalist visited our audio talk meet, he came flying up to me after listening to a couple of tracks on my system and explained he'd just been to listen to linn's new flagship system in Scotland, he said it was way, way behind what he'd just heard.

I do remember being impressed by a linn streamer a few years ago.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, steve 57 said:

About 6 or 7 years ago a well known hi fi journalist visited our audio talk meet, he came flying up to me after listening to a couple of tracks on my system and explained he'd just been to listen to linn's new flagship system in Scotland, he said it was way, way behind what he'd just heard.

That would have probably been the Klimax streamer of its day. The later Katalyst upgrade isn’t yet 6 or 7 years old iirc, and the latest New Generation Klimax that was due to be demo’d at the Wam Show is only a few months old.  

However, it must be at least a decade ago now that Linn dropped their top CD12 CD player, declaring that streaming was superior. In those days we didn’t have Qobuz or Tidal, so they meant ripping your CDs and replaying them on one of their Digital Streamers, or DS models. 

32 minutes ago, steve 57 said:

he'd just been to listen to linn's new flagship system in Scotland, he said it was way, way behind what he'd just heard.

Sounds right, I've heard their top, ahem, "Klimax" system with all their best bells and whistles at the Linn factory demo rooms. It was unimpressive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blzebub said:

Sounds right, I've heard their top, ahem, "Klimax" system with all their best bells and whistles at the Linn factory demo rooms. It was unimpressive.

Interesting.  I previously owned an Akurate DSM with Katalyst and have to say that sounded pretty decent though not decent enough to justify its price tag.  What got me was when I listened to Exakt - on 4 separate occasions and I HATED it.  I found it cold, clinical and uninvolving and most of the people I know with that system spent more time fiddling about with it and looking at optimising it than enjoying the music.

Each to their own of course but I didn't get the hype at all.  I am a plug in and listen kinda person - no interest in all that stuff and I have heard systems at a fraction of the price sounding better to me. That wouldn't prevent me buying one of their simpler offerings (like an MDSM as I mentioned earlier in the thread) but I would need to satisfy myself that I wasn't buying another hype box.

All my opinions, I respect that their are many Linn customers out there who have an entirely different view.

Edited by Paulq
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paulq said:

Interesting.  I previously owned an Akurate DSM with Katalyst and have to say that sounded pretty decent though not decent enough to justify its price tag. 

As you are one of the old WHF Forum gang - you will know that my very constant position, has been that Linn make decent Streamers (and a decent, if expensive TT), but better can be had for everything else.

I think the problem with the DS, is people often hear it in the context of a Linn system - and if that was my only benchmark, I wouldn't have bought one.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, steve 57 said:

Considering the rather sub optimum acoustics in the pub hall where you hold the Audio Talk Owston event, that's high praise.

It's all down to semantics when it comes to stating that Linns £80k+ Klimax Exakt 350a system is way behind yours. My highly provisional assessment would be that yours has tighter, more tuneful more impactful bass and better unfettered, non-shut-in dynamics in the midrange.

All of which makes sense when you look under the bonnet with your speakers having 18" and 12" woofers compared with Linn's 2 x 8" and 1 x 7" woofers. Plus your speakers having midrange units with less moving mass for the electromotive force on offer.

• Like 2

Linn certainly don't need my sympathy, but I am grateful for their contribution to what is a "FUN" hobby.

I feel no need to berate them and have fond memories of many lazy afternoons sitting on the couch at Brighton cassette and hifi listening to the Lp12 and Isobariks. Circa 1878 bc

Them was the days, them was.

18 hours ago, hiesteem said:

Linn certainly don't need my sympathy, but I am grateful for their contribution to what is a "FUN" hobby.

I feel no need to berate them and have fond memories of many lazy afternoons sitting on the couch at Brighton cassette and hifi listening to the Lp12 and Isobariks. Circa 1878 bc

Them was the days, them was.

Agree - I'm no Linn hater either and very much enjoyed their kit when I had it.  My perspective on it just changed that's all but I agree with you - good memories.

• Upvote 1