Visited UK Audio Show

Amormusic

Went today and it was interesting.

Some nice stuff there... I liked the little Amphion Argon1 speakers and the Coppice ones. The Mycetias room, with £500 quid speakers was deeply impressive for the cash. I thought the Alchris Audio speakers were also very good.

But I'm home now... My humble setup is rocking... I'm listening to London Grammar, smiling 😀

I'll deffo be heading to Wam show and Bristol before making any changes in my system. 

It was nice to meet a couple of other wammers too 👍

Who else went and what were your thoughts?

• Like 5

Audio show virgin here….. a friend and I were due to attend the North West Audio show prior to the lockdown in 2020 but that never happened. 

Looking forward to attending a show in the near future and hopefully meeting a few wammers. 

Nice to hear that they were demo-ing some fair priced gear and not just the uber high end stuff that most can’t afford.  

Edited by robbie010
  • Like 1

Went today and it was interesting.
Some nice stuff there... I liked the little Amphion Argon1 speakers and the Coppice ones. The Mycetias room, with £500 quid speakers was deeply impressive for the cash. I thought the Alchris Audio speakers were also very good.
But I'm home now... My humble setup is rocking... I'm listening to London Grammar, smiling
I'll deffo be heading to Wam show and Bristol before making any changes in my system. 
It was nice to meet a couple of other wammers too
Who else went and what were your thoughts?

I went too. I thought the Amphion Argon1 did very well being driven by the Hegel 120. The room with the Hegel 590 and 6’ speakers as well as the Chord room with funky 7’ carbon tube speakers looked impressive but possibly not the best room dynamics so couldn’t stay long. Icon Audio had a full range of kit if tubes are your thing. I gravitated to the Audio Note room in the end (upstairs one) as it had great sound and did not need any room treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, justinhd said:

I went too. I thought the Amphion Argon1 did very well being driven by the Hegel 120. The room with the Hegel 590 and 6’ speakers as well as the Chord room with funky 7’ carbon tube speakers looked impressive but possibly not the best room dynamics so couldn’t stay long. Icon Audio had a full range of kit if tubes are your thing. I gravitated to the Audio Note room in the end (upstairs one) as it had great sound and did not need any room treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed about the Amphion with the Hegel - nice bookshelf speaker.  The Audio Consultants (Luxman)  room was quite good too using Kudos Titon 707.   

The Hifi Guy had some TAD speakers but he had no cd player and could not find anything on his server that I would use to evaluate (it has to be something I know well and used to evaluate in the past) but they sounded interesting though for £50k perhaps not.

I was enjoying the Node Hylixa but for £29k my view changed somewhat .. I guess if you have loads of dosh and a small room and are not too concerned about deep bass they might be ok.

I have notes on most rooms but the problem for me is many would not or could not play CDs I had brought (I think that miffed me most in the Hifi Guy's room).  

The excitement for me was Alphason were there and they have reworked and improved the HS1000 arm (now the HS2000) .. I spoke to the chap and asked why he did not offer a model with a damping trough and paddle.  Of course he said it was damped at the bearing (as is the Audio Technica 1010) and asked what I thought it would bring to the party.  I said with a Decca the lack of a fluid damping system resulted in the cartridge being over lively and have you worrying in play - yet with silicon damped arms it became well behaved and lush (well as lush as Decca can be) .. I also said for Rock owners they could fit the Alphason as the damping trough mechanism was part of the turntable.  Whether or not he does anything going forward we shall see .. but for all you non Decca users out there it is lovely to see such a good arm available again.

Overall for me the Show was a bit of a disappointment .. one room that had Do not Stand in the room was laughable, as when you went through the door there were no chairs to sit in .. so I just walked back out as no use trying to listen critically to a speaker standing up (unless they put em on stands three or four feet high to align with my ears).

It was interesting to go but when I think back to shows of the past (even the shows at the Whittlebury Hall shows not that many years ago) it was kinda sad for me .. still it was nice to say Hello to the Flash and Fourlegs - be interesting if they post their views on stuff they heard.

• Like 1

@Amormusic There is quite an active thread on the show in the Wam Bake Off section of the forum.  Yeah, I know, only the Wam could think that the Daventry Audio Show was / is a Wam Bake Off! The show reports and thoughts are kicking in at about page 8.

I am unable to get to shows this year due to work mainly. However, i am looking forwards to our little Audio get together in the North East (NEBO) as it's always fun.

Seems this is a duplicated thread. Mods please feel free to delete this or mash it into the other one. 

Pleased to hear that the Amphion speakers were well received. I'm a convert to the brand myself

Regarding no standing rooms@uzzy do you mean they didn't provide chairs (which would be ridiculous) or they were all taken? If the latter presumably this is a Covid related precaution as a big show could be a super spreader event. So I presume their plan was that people should queue outside to wait their turn, or just walk on by if they don't want to wait and come back when it's quieter.

Just now, Lawrence001 said:

Regarding no standing rooms@uzzy do you mean they didn't provide chairs (which would be ridiculous) or they were all taken? If the latter presumably this is a Covid related precaution as a big show could be a super spreader event. So I presume their plan was that people should queue outside to wait their turn, or just walk on by if they don't want to wait and come back when it's quieter.

They had the sign outside (I think a few did and yes it was due to Covid precautions) but the room in question had no chairs in it at all 

1 minute ago, Lawrence001 said:

Pleased to hear that the Amphion speakers were well received. I'm a convert to the brand myself emoji846.png

The only flaw in the logic is that queuing in the corridor outside is probably a worse risk than standing in the room. As far as I could see people just sat or stood as the mood took them just as they would at any normal hifi show.

• Like 2

The only flaw in the logic is that queuing in the corridor outside is probably a worse risk than standing in the room. As far as I could see people just sat or stood as the mood took them just as they would at any normal hifi show.
True it needs big red spots placed 2m apart along the corridor and a burly bouncer to tell people to stop chatting and mingling - which is 75% of the fun at a show.

They had the sign outside (I think a few did and yes it was due to Covid precautions) but the room in question had no chairs in it at all 
Then that is indeed ridiculous and you make a most valid point.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:
8 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

True it needs big red spots placed 2m apart along the corridor and a burly bouncer to tell people to stop chatting and mingling - which is 75% of the fun at a show.

Exactly and completely unworkable. Get your two jabs and carry on as normal seemed to be the way it was working. In reality it is difficult to see any other way of running a show such as this.

• Like 3