Radikal 2 upgrade kit

21 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

LOL! Brilliant! 🤣

It will be a showdown between Linn and my bank account!

😪

7AE4B70A-44F7-4872-8D6B-5AC438BCA3DF.jpeg

• Haha 6

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

LOL! Brilliant! 🤣

It will be a showdown between Linn and my bank account!

Not a particularly fair fight that one - I predict a knockout inside the first round  .......... 🤣 

images.png.d60aa996d94f9923fae52c33dd1f6032.png

Edited by Wenge1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Saturday at noon!

Sunday for me.

You beat me! 😄

• Like 2

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, kryno said:

Sunday for me.

You beat me! 😄

And we both win!😁

• Haha 2

On 16/11/2021 at 13:44, pirov said:

Reason I ask about 'musicality' is that I think the Rad2 – particularly in conjunction with Karousel – is so much more revealing of information and detail as to change (in the case of some records/recordings anyway) the character of the presentation. Now, I don't think this makes the LP12 any more 'like' digital sources, or in any way detracts from its musicality, but I wonder whether some listeners might reach that conclusion. 

I don't think this is anything new.  In my experience each new LP12 upgrade has revealed more information going back to the ASAK, Ittok and Valhalla.  Certainly the Keel pulled out more information and changed the presentation somewhat.  The Akiva and the Kandid were both big steps for me and the Radikal was an amazing upgrade.  But there are still those who prefer the pre-Cirkus bearing to the Cirkus (although their number seems to have dwindled over the years) and I have heard from a few who are not convinced by the Karousel.  As has often been said, you can't please everybody.  But even an LP12 with welded subchassis (if it is flat), original power supply (for lack of a better term), Grace 707 and a good cartridge will still musically beat a Rega P3 and likely a P6.  I would recommend fitting new springs, grommets, belt and felt mat to it but it is still a very satisfying turntable.  So the music lover can choose how far they want to take their LP12 and what kind of LP12 sound they want and still be secure in the knowledge that they have a damn good turntable, and at the top end still the best I have heard.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Super Wammer

Installation was a success. As it turned out, mine is the first Radikal 2 from Definitive Audio (Seattle). So Ron the fettler was very anxious to hear it. He even moved Sonus Faber speakers out and replaced them with Wilson Audios more to his liking.

All went well as Ron traveled up the learning curve on the installation procedure.

Also, I had the BJC Cat 6a cable replaced with a longer Cat 5e. As it turned out, my 1975 outer platter didn't fit snugly with the Karousel inner. So a new outer was ordered. Ron loaned me his outer to take home.

Once home by 7 pm, set happened immediately, dinner after. I put on Madonna "Ray of Light" to get the TT warmed up. It took a couple sides to get used to the sound. But once I did, WOW! This is a very fundamental improvement to everything. Kind of like the Karousel, only this time, I have the NG Klimax DSMH to reveal more of it. Add to that revealing more of the Karousel upgrade. This one is huge. I'm still wrapping my brain around it. It really is like getting a whole new system.

I listened to some very recently familiar albums. Everything sounded much better in every way. I found myself listening at higher volume with the music sounding smooth and natural all the way up to about 84. I didn't test it at this volume, I enjoyed it.

I'll post more impressions tomorrow after tonight's listening session (I won't be so tired).

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

I forgot to mention, no discount for a recent Radikal purchase (July).

Congrats Michael!

This LP12 is a rude competitor: always more to bring from the groove.
With all this sunny future, how to give up analog…

I have an old one now, and I must admit I don't understand a lot of things when reading theses LP12 threads 😀. But I keep reading, as something is happening there! 😊

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Just now, Chris 1970 said:

Congrats Michael!

This LP12 is a rude competitor: always more to bring from the groove.
With all this sunny future, how to give up analog…

I have an old one now, and I must admit I don't understand a lot of things when reading theses LP12 threads 😀. But I keep reading, as something is happening there! 😊

Well DS, it was nice while it lasted. I'm back to buying lots and lots of LPs!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I found myself listening at higher volume with the music sounding smooth and natural all the way up to about 84. I didn't test it at this volume, I enjoyed it.

Congratulations on your new Radikal 2

If you are turning your volume up to 84, you are risking permanent hearing damage. There is a good chance that you will lose the ability to hear a defined frequency range, and eventually not be able to enjoy your music anymore.

With a Klimax level Linn system, you should be able to hear all the music at a much lower volume

3 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Congratulations on your new Radikal 2

If you are turning your volume up to 84, you are risking permanent hearing damage. There is a good chance that you will lose the ability to hear a defined frequency range, and eventually not be able to enjoy your music anymore.

With a Klimax level Linn system, you should be able to hear all the music at a much lower volume

Come on, Paul, a little of 80+ volume is tempting, when all seems to shine!

Well, I did it Friday, and my ears didn't say thank you, when a major bass came in 😀 

• Like 2

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, Chris 1970 said:

Come on, Paul, a little of 80+ volume is tempting, when all seems to shine!

Well, I did it Friday, and my ears didn't say thank you, when a major bass came in 😀 

Major Bass does visit me regularly. He is always welcome at my house. :D

"Major Bass, meet Major Tom."

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer
48 minutes ago, Chris 1970 said:

always more to bring from the groove.

Your comment reminded me of a thought I had whilst listening last night. I put on Tears for Fears "Seeds of Love." I was amazed that all that music was hiding in the grooves, and for me, to be heard for the first time decades later! So much more music was extracted!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

One of the best and possibly most overlooked factors, at least IME, with determining the ability of the very best systems is not how they sound loud, but how they sound at almost whisper levels. I think a lot of us have heard the old and large Altec VOTT speakers and their ilk used in places like Disco's and other large venues sound very good..at extreme volumes. ( even the same can be said for Bose 901's!) BUT how many have heard great sound from their systems at whisper levels? Ok, now back to the regularly scheduled programming.😀

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2