Radikal 2 upgrade kit

This is purely hypothetical, but if someone wanted to use the "old" parts to make a DIY Radikal "renew" for a second deck that they own, they would need to source several additional parts:

1. A Mini Dynamik power supply, or an original non-dynamik power supply of the type that was fitted to Radikal & Uphorik prior to the introduction of the Mini Dynamik. The non-dynamik power supply was PCAS 551 I think.
  2. A power switch and cable to go to the power supply.
  3. A cable to go from the power supply to the main board. Not certain, but I think they are JST series EH connectors.
  4. An LED and cable to go to the main board (assuming you want to know if your "renew" is on or off).
  5. A suitable enclosure into which to mount the electronics, plus board mounts/screws. Of course you are not going to find anything off the shelf that is 100% suitable and so you will need to do a number of modifications such as drilling rear panel holes for the XLR connectors.
  6. A control switch for fitting to the second LP12 i.e. the switch with the two LEDs. Not sure if the Radikal and Lingo 4 switches are the same (they may well be), but AFAIK the Radikal switch is different to Valhalla & Lingo 1-3 (these older products use a flexi cable, and the Valhalla only has one LED).
  7. A couple of screws that are reused for the Tacho mount.

Items 1 & 6 are going to be the really tricky ones. Not that I have given any of this any thought whatsoever!.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, teuchter85 said:

This is purely hypothetical, but if someone wanted to use the "old" parts to make a DIY Radikal "renew" for a second deck that they own, they would need to source several additional parts:

1. A Mini Dynamik power supply, or an original non-dynamik power supply of the type that was fitted to Radikal & Uphorik prior to the introduction of the Mini Dynamik. The non-dynamik power supply was PCAS 551 I think.
  2. A power switch and cable to go to the power supply.
  3. A cable to go from the power supply to the main board. Not certain, but I think they are JST series EH connectors.
  4. An LED and cable to go to the main board (assuming you want to know if your "renew" is on or off).
  5. A suitable enclosure into which to mount the electronics, plus board mounts/screws. Of course you are not going to find anything off the shelf that is 100% suitable and so you will need to do a number of modifications such as drilling rear panel holes for the XLR connectors.
  6. A control switch for fitting to the second LP12 i.e. the switch with the two LEDs. Not sure if the Radikal and Lingo 4 switches are the same (they may well be), but AFAIK the Radikal switch is different to Valhalla & Lingo 1-3 (these older products use a flexi cable, and the Valhalla only has one LED).
  7. A couple of screws that are reused for the Tacho mount.

Items 1 & 6 are going to be the really tricky ones. Not that I have given any of this any thought whatsoever!.

Very interesting but I think it is impossible to achieve... As you said, it’s purely hypothetical

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 19:41, ThomasOK said:

The parts removed from the LP12 and the Radikal PS are to be destroyed and disposed of in line with local waste policies for electronic parts/devices.  Old parts cannot be repurposed or used as replacements in other products.  It is important to make sure that all the new parts have been installed and are working before destroying the old parts.

Am I the only one here, who feels that destroying high quality parts, is not exactly in line with Linn's sustainability image, that made yours truly a Linn LP12 fan ca. 30 yrs ago. I always liked the idea, that pre-owned stuff is handed down to new happy users, most likely ones with a tighter budget. Actually, this information takes a lot of enthusiasm off my plans to order a Radikal 2. My Radikal is just one year old, and still under warranty. why should I trash it?

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Upvote 3

duplicate deleted

duplicate deleted

11 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

My Radikal is just one year old, and still under warranty. why should I trash it?

That’s entirely your own choice. No one is forced to buy a new product and it doesn’t make your current one worse and you always have the option to upgrade in the future. I was in the market for a KRadikal and this came out at the perfect time for me. Rest assured that my Akurate Radikal will be rehired quickly.

’troll

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

That’s entirely your own choice. No one is forced to buy a new product and it doesn’t make your current one worse and you always have the option to upgrade in the future. I was in the market for a KRadikal and this came out at the perfect time for me. Rest assured that my Akurate Radikal will be rehired quickly.

’troll

I'm not complaining about being forced @Moomintroll but I'm disappointed by Linn's choice to not offer a renew kit - especially with only a few days to go until COP26 on their very home turf. The renew box, that was good for a DSM should be capable to accomodate the Radikal electronics. Adding the parts that are needed (mentioned in @teuchter85's post) should be easy for Linn. And a reasonable price point between the Akurate Radikal 2 and Lingo 4 can possibly be matched as well. This would waste less resources, create additional business opportunities for Linn's dealer network and encourage 'novice' LP 12 owners to take a jump into the rabbit hole.

Thanks for your (unintended?) hint to talk to my dealer about trade in options of the whole box! There might be Linn users out there willing to buy an almost new pre-owned Radikal at a reasonable discount vs a new Radikal 2. At least a more ethiical upgrade path! 

• Like 4

I got word from the dealer that due to parts shortages, the kits won't ship until November.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

I heard they used yours to build my Radikal 2 🤣

‘troll

Bloody brilliant - Your wasted on this forum ....... 😁 ........ 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I heard they used yours to build my Radikal 2 🤣

‘troll

In that case, I'll yield to the greater good. Your situation is much more urgent than mine. :D

Overheard at Linn HQ:

Gilad: Is akamatsu's Radikal kit ready to ship?

Employee: Yes sir. Boxed up and ready to go.

Gilad: What about @Moomintroll's Klimax Radikal 2?

Employee: Oh crap!

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

In that case, I'll yield to the greater good. Your situation is much more urgent than mine. :D

Overheard at Linn HQ:

Gilad: Is akamatsu's Radikal kit ready to ship?

Employee: Yes sir. Boxed up and ready to go.

Gilad: What about @Moomintroll's Klimax Radikal 2?

Employee: Oh crap!

Forget @Moomintroll what about mine .............. 🤪

• Haha 3

Not sure, but there is a rumor that the first 500 Radikal II will be shipped to my address. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Not sure, but there is a rumor that the first 500 Radikal II will be shipped to my address. 

May they all be Akurate cased. :D

8 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Interesting rumor.  But considering I already have one VERY unlikely!

• Like 1