Vintage Hifi article in the Daily Mail

Lawrence001

I've reported the one with the mains lead. That's quite simply one of the most stupidly dangerous things I think I've ever seen.

As to all the rebuilds, Leak stuff isn't at all tricky. Unfortunately, the rise in prices seems to have tempted some people to have a go at refurbishing them when they obviously haven't a clue.

The thing I always look at is the 'sacrificial resistor'. In the original build it was deliberately chosen and soldered in such a way that if things overload, it gets hot, melts the solder and neatly falls off. People who don't bother to read or check usually assume it was poorly made, and then neatly replace it with the resistor legs folded through the board tage so its entire purpose is lost.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

eBay is not short of 'serviced' Leaks. I have no technical knowledge nor skill, but I know a dog's dinner when I see one.

Folk seem to want a bargain above a solid quality rebuild. We get what we pay for in all walks of life.

I know where I'm happy to place my hard earned 😃

5 hours ago, toprepairman said:

Emporium have a stereo 20 on Ebay at the moment.

Been serviced, wrong value resistors have been fitted, and a mains lead soldered onto the back of the mains socket so you can give yourself a very nasty shock. Do you need to know any more?

I see it.

s-l1600.jpg

A creative solution and beautiful workmanship.  What's the problem?  😂

• Haha 1

I hope that's not what I think - the rear of the socket being used to connect a new hard wired mains lead to the wires meant to be carrying the mains from the socket - so the pins sticking out of the socket will be live??

Just now, Lawrence001 said:

I hope that's not what I think - the rear of the socket being used to connect a new hard wired mains lead to the wires meant to be carrying the mains from the socket - so the pins sticking out of the socket will be live??

Both Henry and I seem to think that's exactly what it is. That's certainly what it looks like.

I'm going to be generous and say that only the earth can be seen soldered to the socket, so hopefully the other 2 wires go directly to the point in the circuit the previous wires went to.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I'm going to be generous and say that only the earth can be seen soldered to the socket, so hopefully the other 2 wires go directly to the point in the circuit the previous wires went to. Otherwise it would be a death trap.

That isn't, I'm afraid, how it looks to me. The live connection goes from the Bulgin socket to the fuse holder. If you were going to hardwire it (though why you would, is beyond me), you'd disconnect the link from the socket to the fuse holder and connect the live to that.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 19:21, jatinder said:

I've seen emporium-hifi mentioned a few times recently on the Wam in a negative manner.

What's up with them?

--Jatinder

Two items I remember purchasing from emporium hifi were quite frankly taking the @iss... 

The first courtesy of the cordial hughy day were kef 203/2 floorstanding speakers sent each via UPS boxed. The grilles were all broken and condition of items were poor 

The second courtesy of the very well spoken nick beesly was a graaf gmbll  valve amp being sold as ex demo was shockingly poor condition. It looked to me as though it had been salvaged from a flooded property in Cockermouth or something. 

Both items I shelled out near 4k for, I'll be diplomatic about them and call them chancers...

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 19:21, jatinder said:

A doubler - doh! 

Edited by 2010*zuma