New speaker opinions pls.

The Abbot

You could try my Living Voice Auditoriums for sale on this very site ūüėĀ ūüėČ

Easy as pie to drive and sound wonderfully musical.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 01:08, The Abbot said:

Hi chaps,

I have a modest system compared to many on here, & modest means to try a new speaker.. say £500 ballpark.

( Lp12 > naim 32.5/ diy'cap > naim 140 >epos es14). Old school, sounds fine... but wanting a shift in speaker, i find the mids lacking in energy, i feel its just an outdated driver (dont get me wrong- it is superbly designed in with the tweeter & cabinets).

Ive sort of narrowed my search, purely on much info trawling on here & reviews in general... to perhaps proAc 130.

Tho Ive never heard a proAc ! But others ive shortlisted, neat motive, totem arro, pmc gb1 for eg are so dinky. The proAcs i believe are small but not diddy, so I might get even a bit more scale than my fab es14's, which do impress in this department. 

Anyone know proAc 130's? I like the 89 db fig ( so i dont need to turn my wick up as much.. i think it adds hiss, am i right? ), look great nicely made.

The one thing I have plenty of ( how i think is luck, my thick old stone cottage walls) is bass. I have to bung one spkr port to nip a bit off to balance out. The port on 130's tho... is downwards. Urgh. Not so easy to bung is it? Can fully bunging take a good dose of bass off? Because i read they aren't shy in this dept- my only snag possibly.

Any ideas, opinions on my shortlist/ comments, welcome. Thanks for reading, SC

I can strongly recommend the Bowers and Wilkins 706 S2. The midrange is extraordinarily good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muckplaster said:

I can strongly recommend the Bowers and Wilkins 706 S2. The midrange is extraordinarily good.

I must admit I overlook this respected mfr. Not sure why. But possibly this, as an eg. My retiree n'bour.. his 1st hifi, a 'just retired treat' spends 60k on a huge power amp + industrial looking huage engineering masterpiece cdp, enormous cables like pythons, the whole room dominated by 2 behemoth b&w speakers 4 ft out from the corners, waxes on to me ( into hifi since 82, gradual incriments to my Lp12/ es14's system) about hifi how good his is, how much better cdp's are. Tries to impress me with his best recording...

Meh. Prefer mine. Es14's rammed in corners, no idea what spkr cables (half decent, are they?). He came & heard mine, eyes closed/ away with the hifi fairies... & since says all morose he 'doesn't play his system much now' !! Ha!!

But Id love to hear the ones -you- recommend though, for sure. Ab

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
22 hours ago, Talwar said:

Middle England and Nottingham sound like they might be relatively near each other too!!

On 14/10/2021 at 22:03, Talwar said:

Are they under 500 quid?

4 hours ago, The Abbot said:

Are they under 500 quid?

Have a listen to Quad S2. My friend has them, and I like the sound. Very smooth sounding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Abbot said:

Are they under 500 quid?

I'm asking £700, but would be flexible if I thought they were going to a good home. I'd rather they went to someone who will appreciate them.

I'm Nottinghamshire if you wanted a listen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Muckplaster said:

Have a listen to Quad S2. My friend has them, and I like the sound. Very smooth sounding.

I was thinking about quad. But the made in china thing.. it just bugs me, would bug me. One thing about our hobby, is the made in uk aspect. Daft now stuff is as well made (arguably/ but Im not convinced yet) over there many would say, but I don't think so. Its a labour thing to me primarily.

Thanks. I do have a new pair bought.. coming this week, so I'll post my findings. Im not selling the es14's beforehand put it like that.

5 minutes ago, Talwar said:

I'm asking £700, but would be flexible if I thought they were going to a good home. I'd rather they went to someone who will appreciate them.

I'm Nottinghamshire if you wanted a listen.

Wow.. would jump at the chance to have a listen, but Im west wales now ( must update my info). Generous though.. appreciated Talwar.

94 db, 6 ohms?! Surely these are solely designed, & voiced, for valve amps though? My naims would have me gnashing & clawing at the clawy thing the cat claws on.

I have a lovely pair of vintage JBL L96 available for £750.
Over budget but wonderful speakers.
Too big for my new lounge.

12 minutes ago, The Abbot said:

Lurch has sent me some spikes.. a very kind gesture. Now just need some spkrs to fix into the top of them. Tmrw then.

Thanks, Abbot.

I bet the spikes sound really good though :D

Super Wammer
On 16/10/2021 at 23:37, The Abbot said:

94 db, 6 ohms?! Surely these are solely designed, & voiced, for valve amps though?

I think that would be assuming that all valve amps sound warm and cuddly.  That’s not my impression, as they can vary as much as any design/class of amp. 

Edited by Nopiano