Meridian

nomismo

I have a Meridian 588 CD Player purchased in 2004. I remember it having a great sound but it doesn't work any more. CD's appear to load at first but after a lot of whirring, I get a "No Disc" message. Happens with all CDs. I have tried the obvious things like power cycling, weeping profusely and gnashing my teeth but nothing has worked. I suspect the CD transport has failed. Is it possible to get it fixed? Slightly worried as I have seen a posting on a different website indicating that CD drives for this model are hard to get hold of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

clevejon

Super Wammer
I have a Meridian 588 CD Player purchased in 2004. I remember it having a great sound but it doesn't work any more. CD's appear to load at first but after a lot of whirring, I get a "No Disc" message. Happens with all CDs. I have tried the obvious things like power cycling, weeping profusely and gnashing my teeth but nothing has worked. I suspect the CD transport has failed. Is it possible to get it fixed? Slightly worried as I have seen a posting on a different website indicating that CD drives for this model are hard to get hold of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

clevejon

John

Chris who runs Meridian Repair Shop & sometimes posts on here is your man - very knowledgeable & nice lad, done some work for me, would recommend: http://meridianrepairshop.co.uk/

give him a bell & he will give you a straight answer

cheers

Paul

John

Chris who runs Meridian Repair Shop & sometimes posts on here is your man - very knowledgeable & nice lad, done some work for me, would recommend: http://meridianrepairshop.co.uk/

give him a bell & he will give you a straight answer

cheers

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try him....Clevejon

Super Wammer
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try him....Clevejon

no worries mate, I have an older (much loved) 506.24 which is still serviceable so hopefully Chris can get you back up mate

I've stuck my MCD Pro on the bay, (no idea of value, taking a punt)

Anybody know what size transit bolts are used? There's 2 green stickers near holes on the bottom that suggest there's transport lock.

I've stuck my MCD Pro on the bay, (no idea of value, taking a punt)

Anybody know what size transit bolts are used? There's 2 green stickers near holes on the bottom that suggest there's transport lock.

I may be wrong on this, but I recall the MCD and MCD Pro not having transit bolts, but long self-tapping screws that screwed into a plastic block on the mechanism. It was the later 200 series that had a bolt to stop the tray coming out.

As the mechanism isn't sprung much, just mounted on rubber blocks as I recall....it was a long time ago when I last get inside an MCDPro...it shouldn't come to any harm even if shipped without transit screws.

S.

I may be wrong on this, but I recall the MCD and MCD Pro not having transit bolts, but long self-tapping screws that screwed into a plastic block on the mechanism. It was the later 200 series that had a bolt to stop the tray coming out.

As the mechanism isn't sprung much, just mounted on rubber blocks as I recall....it was a long time ago when I last get inside an MCDPro...it shouldn't come to any harm even if shipped without transit screws.

S.

Thanks S

Taken it to the Sheffield Bake-off today, 30 years old and still very presentable sound. Tubes may have flattered it, but I was (pleasantly) surprised at how little difference between it and the other players there.

Thanks S

Taken it to the Sheffield Bake-off today, 30 years old and still very presentable sound. Tubes may have flattered it, but I was (pleasantly) surprised at how little difference between it and the other players there.

Nope it was certainly in the mix SQ wise, at least a match for my marantz and the beresford dac. Only the Saturn really shone in comparison and as we know synergy is a big part and Col (the Saturn owner) said the Saturn matched well with my kit. Good luck with the sale Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I decided to take a Meridian punt and bought Smeagol's M3s for sale on here. Personally, I really like them. A friend thinks they lack scale which I find puzzling..

I spoke to Meridian Repair Shop. It would make sense to get the amp boards fully serviced. Not from a VFM point of view, but there is nothing wrong with the speakers and it would be good to give them many years of life.

To my question .... has anybody got advice on shipping the boards? Are there boxes you can buy which provide good protection?

Hi all

I decided to take a Meridian punt and bought Smeagol's M3s for sale on here. Personally, I really like them. A friend thinks they lack scale which I find puzzling..

I spoke to Meridian Repair Shop. It would make sense to get the amp boards fully serviced. Not from a VFM point of view, but there is nothing wrong with the speakers and it would be good to give them many years of life.

To my question .... has anybody got advice on shipping the boards? Are there boxes you can buy which provide good protection?

I would wrap them in two or three layers of bubblewrap, protecting the corners, ,then lay the parcels in a cardboard box. There's nothing much to break in those panels, as long as they're well padded.

S

Super Wammer
I would wrap them in two or three layers of bubblewrap, protecting the corners, ,then lay the parcels in a cardboard box. There's nothing much to break in those panels, as long as they're well padded.

S

good advice, if you can find a double walled corrugated case** of 'just' the right size, no bigger, to put it in this will help

** that's what you'd call a cardboard box, except that it's not. look for one that when you look at the cut edges has two wiggly bits like this:

dubwall.jpg

they use that construction for coffins in places with few trees

Super Wammer
Thanks for the advice guys :)
seriously if sending to Chris Coaster sending a large box with miles of bubble wrap won't be appreciated as he doesn't have space to store lots of boxes :fight:, how big are the boards? If they fit a box that copier paper comes in one would be easily obtained / strong etc.

• 1 year later...
Super Wammer

My DAC 203 developed a fault which the Meredian Repair shop have taken a look at and they are not able to repair the main board.

I have been offered the following options; replace the main board with a standard 203 board or upgrade to a 263 board for an extra £50.

So, I could just go for the standard board which would keep the DAC at its original spec or go for the 263 board. The distortion and noise figures are very similar, according to the spec sheets and I suspect I would not hear any significant difference, but perhaps someone on the Wam has some experience of these two and would like to offer a view.

Whilst the DAC was away I played with feeding the CD 200 digital output and optical output into my XTZ-A100-D3 and tbh I am not unhappy with the result so a third option is to just bin the DAC. Having said that I do feel some kind of loyalty to this kit as it was the first bit of second hand Hi Fi I purchased when I got back into this hobby. Strange how one gets attached to a piece of kit when I know there are probably plenty of inexpensive DAC's out there that would replace the 203.

I'm a Meridian owner, and have owned two 203s. Unfortunately, IMO they weren't Meridian's high point. I thought both sounded rather "synthetic". My suggestion is to write it off and spend the repair costs on something else.

• Cambs12 changed the title to Meridian