Meridian

nomismo

Super Wammer
I have recently moved into a very modest Meridian system.

Started with a CDP = 506.24 which after hearing one (Andy831) I just had to have to replace my Marantz CDP, it sounds wonderful

then via Wam I acquired a very late 501 pre (501V - seemingly quite a rare thing) as I couldn't find a 502 anywhere, this sounds very nice indeed & excellent condition

being able to level inputs is a neat trick as the system also doubles in the family room for a 2nd tv (NO consoles though) it is simple for others to use the remote

power presently is Quad but am hopefully about to buy a 556 power amp as experience suggests my speaker respond to more power very well and 557 is out of my ££ range, if this is a step too far then Quad 606 is probably the next step.

FWIW

Paul

I have been to Andys. he has got his set up just right, very nice

What's Chris quoting for the new 203 board?

Never mind loyalty, the 200/203 combo is a seriously good piece of kit which I had for many years and I suspect would stand comparison with many modern combos at their s/h price.

I'm a Meridian owner, and have owned two 203s. I thought both sounded rather "synthetic".

Sorry Mike can't agree with this. YMMV and all that but I feel the 203 would still come out well in any test, as long as you only listen to redbook of course.

Sorry Mike can't agree with this. YMMV and all that but I feel the 203 would still come out well in any test, as long as you only listen to redbook of course.

No apologies needed. It's just a difference of opinion on a highly subjective matter...

Agreed.

Handshake emoji. (if I could work out how to copy and paste one!)

Super Wammer
What's Chris quoting for the new 203 board?

Never mind loyalty, the 200/203 combo is a seriously good piece of kit which I had for many years and I suspect would stand comparison with many modern combos at their s/h price.

Hi,

he has quoted £100 for the standard board and £150 for the upgrade which seems a reasonable price.

Super Wammer
I'm a Meridian owner, and have owned two 203s. Unfortunately, IMO they weren't Meridian's high point. I thought both sounded rather "synthetic". My suggestion is to write it off and spend the repair costs on something else.

Mike, thanks for your thoughts. I have felt the sound was fine and to date I have not compared it with many other DACs as I did not feel the need to, so have just lived with it, up until recently of course, hence the post.

Super Wammer

Chris is a good lad and his charges are very fair

- - - Updated - - -

I have been to Andys. he has got his set up just right, very nice

yep had to buy one, very happy

if my wife ever stops messing with our house I might that bake off I'm always talking about, then you can hear mine - there again my listening space does not rival Andy's in any way at all :nup:

Thanks lads, still got the 506.24 but I seldom seem to use it these days. Also the amps have changed a bit too, I use a Glasshouse Tvc with an 845 power amp these days, I think it sounds better, but your both welcome to call in sometime for a listen.

Andy

Hi,

he has quoted £100 for the standard board and £150 for the upgrade which seems a reasonable price.

If that includes labour then either are a no-brainier tho personally I'd go for the standard board.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys. I have also just joined the site. My dad has just handed me his M20 speakers, component preamp and MCD CD player. The speakers sound great. The preamp stills works but is in desperate need of a bit of TLC. I have just bought a used MK 3 201 preamp to replace it (awaiting delivery). The MCD still sounds great but needs strategically placed match stick to get sound out of the left channel! I was with dad when he bought these in 1986 from a dealer in Camden, London. Still have the original receipts, so its a bit of nostalgia trip. The M20's are my main speakers. Great to see a site like this.

Danny.

What leads do you guys recommend to connect my 201 to the M20's??? Want to replace the 30 year old set I have.

10 minutes ago, Berksire Dan said:

Hi guys. I have also just joined the site. My dad has just handed me his M20 speakers, component preamp and MCD CD player. The speakers sound great. The preamp stills works but is in desperate need of a bit of TLC. I have just bought a used MK 3 201 preamp to replace it (awaiting delivery). The MCD still sounds great but needs strategically placed match stick to get sound out of the left channel! I was with dad when he bought these in 1986 from a dealer in Camden, London. Still have the original receipts, so its a bit of nostalgia trip. The M20's are my main speakers. Great to see a site like this.

Danny.

What leads do you guys recommend to connect my 201 to the M20's??? Want to replace the 30 year old set I have.

Welcome to the 'Wam, and what I nice Dad you've got!

Lovely'speakers, I had a pair of the M2s, which were very similar, just different tweeters. The MCD should be very easy to fix, sounds like a dry or broken soldered joint.

As to cables, if you're going to use the 201 as the pre-amp, as that's only got unbalanced outputs, there's no point in using balanced cables. I used a length of RG59 cable, RG6 is also perfectly OK. You can get this from any DIY store as a satellite dish downlead cable. 

If you get the Component Preamp fettled, then you're better off using a balanced cable. Any twisted pair microphone cable is fine. Meridian originally supplied a twisted pair unscreened cable, and it was fine.

Nice system.

S.

• Cambs12 changed the title to Meridian