Meridian

nomismo

1 hour ago, Berksire Dan said:

Thanks for the advice about the cables. I've got the originals but they have been chopped a few times over the years. I assume the 201 is a capable replacement for the component preamp? 

Sorry using active speakers is new to me......would phono leads work to connect the speakers to the preamp?

Yes, the 201 is a more than capable replacement. As to cables, yes, phono cables is exactly what you need, they just need to be long enough.

Edit:- Oh, and have the right sort of plugs on them. I think the M20s have phono as well as DIN, but if only DIN, you'll need to change the plug on one end. PM me if you need any help with the cable, I may still have something suitable from my M20 days.

S.

Edited by SergeAuckland

The M20's have a phono socket. The component amp uses din split to two phonos. I believe the 201 has both phono and din connectors for the speakers. Thanks for the offer of the cables, I will see what I need once the 201 arrives and if I get stuck I will give you a shout. Many thanks for your help.

What set-up are you currently using?

16 minutes ago, Berksire Dan said:

The M20's have a phono socket. The component amp uses din split to two phonos. I believe the 201 has both phono and din connectors for the speakers. Thanks for the offer of the cables, I will see what I need once the 201 arrives and if I get stuck I will give you a shout. Many thanks for your help.

What set-up are you currently using?

The 201 has only phono outputs, at least that's what mine had. I now use a 501 pre-amp and that's also phono only. On the 201 (and 501) you may be thinking of the comms connector that allows a single remote control  to control the pre-amp, CD player, FM tuner and DSP-active 'speakers like my old DSP5000s. The M20s didn't have any data-comms, and volume etc was controlled through the pre-amp although the 'speakers did have provision for room position.  

I currently use a Meridian 501 preamp feeding my DIY active 'speakers made from the B&W 801F. I also have a Meridian 206 CD player that gets very little use as all my CDs are ripped to a hard-drive and played through a SqueezeBox Touch. I recently sold my Meridian FM tuner as it was getting no use at all as again all my radio comes through the SBT.

S.

Yep, I think you are right, the 201 only has phono outputs.FM tuners are pretty much obsolete now with the uptake of DAB. Your speakers sound interesting. I am toying with the idea of changing the ferrofluid in the tweeters as I understand it drys out. Do you think it's a good idea? 

9 minutes ago, Berksire Dan said:

Yep, I think you are right, the 201 only has phono outputs.FM tuners are pretty much obsolete now with the uptake of DAB. Your speakers sound interesting. I am toying with the idea of changing the ferrofluid in the tweeters as I understand it drys out. Do you think it's a good idea? 

I would far rather have FM than DAB as implemented in the UK, but I accept that with a Squeezebox Touch or similar streamer, FM is pretty pointless when a much wider choice and often at better quality is available from internet radio.

Changing ferrofluid is worth doing if the treble output is down compared with a new one. The most common effect is that one tweeter goes low in output compared with the other, so your stereo imaging is odd. Unusual for both to go down by the same amount, so given the age of the loudspeakers, may be worth doing anyway. 

S.

Edited by SergeAuckland

4 minutes ago, Berksire Dan said:

Just received a quote from Meridian to service the M20's........£425!!!! That won't be happening.!

With the exception of ferrofluid already mentioned, I don't see what there is to service in M20s. If the loudspeaker has no hum or noticeable hiss when no music's playing, except for a very quiet hiss/hum audible only with your ears against the 'speaker, then there's nothing to service. If you would like to change the main power supply reservoir capacitors just because they're old, that's an easy DIY job. The crossovers don't use electrolytics in any critical part, so there will be nothing that needs doing there.

S.  

Super Wammer

I had a Meridian 101B and a pair of 105 Power amps with their separate power supplies. I thought it was the bee's knees for probably ten years until I tried a PS Audio preamp and a Naim NAP160 power amp in their place. The Meridians were reliable, respectable, but suddenly, with the PS Audio/Naim, they just didn't hit the spot anymore, and went on their way.

The meridian system hold sentimental value for me, bought by father in 1986 with the money left to him by his father. Unfortunately the component amp is in need of attention and would be too expensive to repair hence the purchase of the 201.......which arrived today and is all hooked up now. Still sound very nice, but I do accept that there are going to be better alternatives out there......but they won't give me the same sensation as I get when I fire up the Meridian! 

The meridian system hold sentimental value for me, bought by father in 1986 with the money left to him by his father. Unfortunately the component amp is in need of attention and would be too expensive to repair hence the purchase of the 201.......which arrived today and is all hooked up now. Still sound very nice, but I do accept that there are going to be better alternatives out there......but they won't give me the same sensation as I get when I fire up the Meridian! 

I don't! The 201 is as good as it needs to be for transparency, so unless you want something that distorts the sound in a more pleasant way, the 201 is fine.

I only changed to the 501 when my 201 broke, and it was cheaper to buy a used 501 than get the 201 repaired. 

S.

Super Wammer
On 23/02/2017 at 15:08, Berksire Dan said:

I totally understand and agree. I still remember fondly the sound I used to get from my dad's old Ferguson mono record player and would buy one in a heartbeat, just to have it in the 'back room' at home. There is nothing like feeling 'at one' with something because of your connection with it. I am just the same with my guitars!

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 10.20.19.png

Edited by vintageaxeman

Super Wammer

I totally agree. We all prefer to surround ourselves with the mystic clouds of nostalgia than to objectively recall the real thing.
As one person said, 'Nostalgia is a wonderful file which takes the rough edges off the past.'

• 4 months later...
Super Wammer

I'm asking around & sorry for resurrecting an older thread

My much loved CDP a Meridian 506.24 (previously serviced by Chris @ meridian repair shop) has started skipping on early some tracks on CDs.

Sadly Chris has ceased trading so any advice on where to go guys? thinking it maybe a lube issue rather than laser as higher numbered tracks play just fine

cheers
Paul

• Cambs12 changed the title to Meridian