Luxman D10-x, probably the best CD/SACD in the world?

A.S.

Has anybody experienced this machine or Luxman disc players in general. This is one of the most emphatically positive reviews by Steve. Is this the pinnacle of digital? Hefty price tag of $16,500. Is this twice the player than say a Marantz-sa10 or  Rega ISIS valve?

Oh it has to be up there with the very best. Luxman players always are. Haven't had the pleasure myself but if I still listened to CDs it would be top of my list. Instead I'm hoping they announce a standalone DAC utilising the same ROHM chips.

FWIW, I read a post by someone on another forum who bought a D-10X purely as a disc spinner but ended up selling his DAVE and M-Scaler and plugging his streamer into it as well. High praise indeed.

Well at £15k it ought be #ucking awesome!?

A Dave/Mscaler is £5k less so how is that a fair comparison. 

My BMW M4 is better that my wife's Skoda. What a revelation.

• Haha 1

The problem for me is - very expensive laser players are a future liability as they discontinue the laser mechanisms after about ten years - I just wish that anyone selling a cd player for this kind of money would offer a guaranteed lifetime service on it (say 30 years plus) .. 
It may be the best sounding everything now but it could be an expensive dumpster item in 15 years time and at a grand a year that is not a great investment is it?

• Upvote 2

Interesting review. I heard one at the recent audio show in the Audio Consultants room. The system, with that SACD/DAC sounded very realistic and big but of course it was a complete system with Luxman amplifiers. Being the sneaky devil I am, I am trying to arrange a listening session between the Luxman and my Jays/Denafrips T+. This review was therefore of great interest.  Obviously it depends on the generosity of Audio Consultants, but I can grovel convincingly 😁.  I think they are interested as well.

If I can manage it, then I will write it up as a formal review. Whatever, it will be fun.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

A Dave/Mscaler is £5k less so how is that a fair comparison.

They don't spin discs , the comparison is with the Luxman's DAC  .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, uzzy said:

The problem for me is - very expensive laser players are a future liability as they discontinue the laser mechanisms after about ten years - I just wish that anyone selling a cd player for this kind of money would offer a guaranteed lifetime service on it (say 30 years plus) .. 
It may be the best sounding everything now but it could be an expensive dumpster item in 15 years time and at a grand a year that is not a great investment is it?

👍 +1

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II
  • Like 1

The title of world's best SACD/CD player goes to the dCs Vivaldi stack. Mind you, the price for that makes the Luxman above seem like chicken feed!

On the single box front, I'd be taking a close look at the Accuphase DP-750.

If 2 boxes, then the Accuphase DP1000 & DC1000. Or the Esoteric Grandiosa P1x/D1x 4 box combo.

Edited by simon g

My personal view is any CD player over 5k is wasted money any improvements are miniscule and almost impossible to hear. I'm sure they can be measured but thats not the point if you can't hear it it's just a waste of time and just a means of making bigger profits out of the rich folks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

My personal view is any CD player over 5k is wasted money any improvements are miniscule and almost impossible to hear. I'm sure they can be measured but thats not the point if you can't hear it it's just a waste of time and just a means of making bigger profits out of the rich folks.

Diminishing returns certainly sets in big time around that figure, but I'd have to disagree that the improvements are not worthwhile. Tne key here is the context of the system. If the accompanying system is balanced and sympathetic at this level, then improvements can be heard, quite easily, ime. I am talking systems in tne £70-120k + area. Out of my league, but I have accompanied a couple of friends to dems of Vivaldi systems, comparing to other disc playback systems. Whether these differences/improvements are good value is entirely in the opinion of the person paying. These guys earn more in a year than I do in a decade. Horses for courses, in hifi as much ekse in life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

Luxman have a good reputation for reliability and support for legacy products, at least in Japan. The drive is a brand new design built by Luxman and I imagine they'll keep parts for years to come, but yes, I see your point. These days I'd be more concerned with a streamer becoming obsolete once the software updates dry up. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, life's too short. Your average Luxman customer will be dead in 15 years anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warszawa said:

Your average Luxman customer will be dead in 15 years anyway.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I won't live long enough to enjoy it, so I will resist the urge lol :rofl:

• Upvote 1

Audio Consultants played the D10 at the show last week. Pretty good sounding room with the Kudos speakers.

Nice surprise as it's a player I was keen to hear. It was playing when I entered the room and ran for a few tracks while I had the room to myself. As a system, a little hifi maybe, tending a touch toward the analytical, smoothed over and missing that nuance that gets you to the heart of the music but not bad at all. Asked to hear the DS Audio DS03 cart on what I believe was a NA Spacedeck with Anna arm, pretty modest TT anyway and far less expensive setup than the cdp. For me the resolution and nuance missing from the digital setup flowed from the analogue. Both were good but I'd take the latter every time based on that demo, surprising. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, def said:

Audio Consultants played the D10 at the show last week. Pretty good sounding room with the Kudos speakers.

Nice surprise as it's a player I was keen to hear. It was playing when I entered the room and ran for a few tracks while I had the room to myself. As a system, a little hifi maybe, tending a touch toward the analytical, smoothed over and missing that nuance that gets you to the heart of the music but not bad at all. Asked to hear the DS Audio DS03 cart on what I believe was a NA Spacedeck with Anna arm, pretty modest TT anyway and far less expensive setup than the cdp. For me the resolution and nuance missing from the digital setup flowed from the analogue. Both were good but I'd take the latter every time based on that demo, surprising. 

It was one of the better rooms at the show - the chap I spoke to was very pleasant, tried to assess my needs and to play stuff I wanted to hear .. and of course the advantage of a bigger room and so less claustrophobic 

• Like 1

We could be on, and I hope to visit them soon and write about the experience with lots of images.

• Like 1