Luxman D10-x, probably the best CD/SACD in the world?

A.S.

Super Wammer

Any CD / SACD player is a big commitment at that price , With the decline in the CD format .. 

Back in the day the Sony SCD 1 / 777ES was labelled in a similar manner ..  probably the best build of any CD player at the time .. But Lasers have failed in them over time and unless you can find someone to replace one it becomes a very expensive door stop ..Fortunately I did and it’s still up there with the best 20 years on . 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, bigrod said:

Any CD / SACD player is a big commitment at that price , With the decline in the CD format .. 

Back in the day the Sony SCD 1 / 777ES was labelled in a similar manner ..  probably the best build of any CD player at the time .. But Lasers have failed in them over time and unless you can find someone to replace one it becomes a very expensive door stop ..Fortunately I did and it’s still up there with the best 20 years on . 

I agree, and yet 20 years or more ago lots of folk ditched their turntables and LPs, and yet there seem to have been more new turntables launched in the last couple of years than ever!  And CDs are £1 in a charity shop, while LPs are much more.  

As you say, the laser shelf-life is an issue but I wouldn’t rule out polycarbonates having a revival when streaming dominates everything else in a few years.