Advice on how to extend a 2014 LP12 Akurate + Radikal - Thanks

4 minutes ago, sktn77a said:

I tried one of these in the 1980s.....  destroyed the sound!  Don't know if modern digital electronics could do better (?)

I would imagine so - back then it would have been electronic filters, whereas it would be done by software these days, I imagine.

’troll

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I was told that Linn demonstrated removal of surface noise from records with the Urika 2 to test subjects. They were not comfortable with no surface noise. Imagine if when the record reaches its end, there was only silence. Or when you drop the needle, nothing.

Conversely, many seem to dislike “vinyl crackle” when used in a digital track. Go figure.

’troll

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

You need an ideal room for Magnepan speakers plus in UK or Europe you pay a significant premium. I could never get it quite right in my room. Bought them because I heard a demo and they were great, but a home audition is a must (more than any other speaker I have had). I now use Harbeth speakers in my second system instead. There is a noticeable difference is build quality; my Maggies are way behind Linn, Spendor, Harbeth and PMC. If I were living in North America then I’d give Maggies a try, but would be cautious elsewhere. 

Agree, you will need a decent size room for Maggies. I think this somewhat applies to all speakers. ( which is why I recommend room acoustic treatments in all rooms first). The smallest Maggies, the LCR's, are very inexpensive in the US, what they sell for in Eu, I don't know; but they are a high value proposition for most people. Harbeth's are great, but I think if you want a different presentation, then Maggie's should be on your audition list. ( or any other planar type speaker). 

As to build quality, I also agree that Maggie's leave something to be desired, but they are quite reliable. Sonus Faber's are also a great recommendation, the new Maxima Amator is a superb speaker if in budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sktn77a said:

I tried one of these in the 1980s.....  destroyed the sound!  Don't know if modern digital electronics could do better (?)

There is this one https://www.analogplanet.com/content/sweet-vinyls-sugarcube-sc-1-real-time-pop-and-click-remover-any-good

I’m not a fan of surface noise, but it is clicks and pops that I don’t like. The idea is it would be tuneable so you could decide how much you wanted to apply and, of course, you could bypass it. It would be used for those albums that are not in the greatest condition, but there was no opportunity to replace them. 

I know John Peel is often quoted as having said: “Real life has surface noise”.  

21 minutes ago, Nestor Turton said:

There is this one https://www.analogplanet.com/content/sweet-vinyls-sugarcube-sc-1-real-time-pop-and-click-remover-any-good

I’m not a fan of surface noise, but it is clicks and pops that I don’t like. The idea is it would be tuneable so you could decide how much you wanted to apply and, of course, you could bypass it. It would be used for those albums that are not in the greatest condition, but there was no opportunity to replace them. 

I know John Peel is often quoted as having said: “Real life has surface noise”.  

A lot cheaper, and possibly more satisfying, to use Songcorder and a WAV editor to remove the clicks…

I note that Michael Framer’s review dates from 2018. Coincidentally, it also appears in this month’s Australian HiFi! ( I know they closed their border last year, but really?)

image.png.2699ad5cdd7bdf2eb6898c654a3e20b4.png

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1

I looked on the Sweet Vinyl web site and they have sold out of sugar cubes. Not heard one so couldn’t say how useful it’d be. Never found the energy to rip vinyl and simply bought the CD. Songcorder would be great option for my Desperate Bicycles records if I do feel energetic one day. 

I enjoy playing vinyl and some of my 50 year old records could use a little bit of real time de-clicking. Not a huge problem, but if Linn could do it well then …

• Like 1

Hi Billy, and welcome to the forum.  I'm going to present a couple similar and a couple of different ideas.  First off I definitely agree that you will get the most musical satisfaction form your records by optimizing the LP12.  The Karousel and Keel would be the two most important things to improve but over time you would also want to look at the upgrade to the Radikal 2.  As to phono stage this is where I differ.  The Urika 2 will only work if you are using an Exakt capable Linn unit which would be Selekt or above.  Other streamers and amps need not apply.  Urika 1 will work with any electronics but in my opinion is outperformed by the Lejonklou Entity 1.1 which is also less expensive than a new Urika1.  Your dealer carries Lejonklou so you should definitely give them a listen.  I don't know European prices but the Lejonklou Boazu integrated amp is more than competition for the Selekt musically and works very well with Graham, Harbeth and many other speakers.  The new Lejonklou Källa streamer/DAC is amazingly musical and will also outdo the Selekt or Akurate streamers although it is likely to stretch your budget.

Just some other options to consider and your dealer should be able to compare Lejonklou to Linn for you.  I believe they just received a Källa recently.

Since you are new I should let you know a little bit about me so you can filter where I am coming from.  I have two jobs.  One is for Overture Audio, one of the premier Linn dealers in the US (we also carry Moon by Simaudio, Lejonklou, Rega, NAD and Cambridge Audio electronics and a number of speakers, headphones, etc.) where I am in sales and am the LP12/Rega turntable technician - something I have been doing for 43 years.  Job 2 is that I am the North American distributor for Lejonklou HiFi products.  I have been doing this for over a decade as they are the most musical electronics I have heard.

As I mentioned Concert Audio carries both Linn and Lejonklou, as well as some other cool stuff, so you have the opportunity to hear them both.  There are a few people on the Lejonklou forum using Graham or Harbeth with Lejonklou and they are quite happy with the combo.  Interestingly the Lejonklou distributor for that area is also the Graham distributor and usually uses the combination at Hi-Fi shows.  You should be able to really put together a very nice system.  Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

Hi Billy, and welcome to the forum.  I'm going to present a couple similar and a couple of different ideas.  First off I definitely agree that you will get the most musical satisfaction form your records by optimizing the LP12.  The Karousel and Keel would be the two most important things to improve but over time you would also want to look at the upgrade to the Radikal 2.  As to phono stage this is where I differ.  The Urika 2 will only work if you are using an Exakt capable Linn unit which would be Selekt or above.  Other streamers and amps need not apply.  Urika 1 will work with any electronics but in my opinion is outperformed by the Lejonklou Entity 1.1 which is also less expensive than a new Urika1.  Your dealer carries Lejonklou so you should definitely give them a listen.  I don't know European prices but the Lejonklou Boazu integrated amp is more than competition for the Selekt musically and works very well with Graham, Harbeth and many other speakers.  The new Lejonklou Källa streamer/DAC is amazingly musical and will also outdo the Selekt or Akurate streamers although it is likely to stretch your budget.

Just some other options to consider and your dealer should be able to compare Lejonklou to Linn for you.  I believe they just received a Källa recently.

Since you are new I should let you know a little bit about me so you can filter where I am coming from.  I have two jobs.  One is for Overture Audio, one of the premier Linn dealers in the US (we also carry Moon by Simaudio, Lejonklou, Rega, NAD and Cambridge Audio electronics and a number of speakers, headphones, etc.) where I am in sales and am the LP12/Rega turntable technician - something I have been doing for 43 years.  Job 2 is that I am the North American distributor for Lejonklou HiFi products.  I have been doing this for over a decade as they are the most musical electronics I have heard.

As I mentioned Concert Audio carries both Linn and Lejonklou, as well as some other cool stuff, so you have the opportunity to hear them both.  There are a few people on the Lejonklou forum using Graham or Harbeth with Lejonklou and they are quite happy with the combo.  Interestingly the Lejonklou distributor for that area is also the Graham distributor and usually uses the combination at Hi-Fi shows.  You should be able to really put together a very nice system.  Have fun.

Hi Thomas, thank you for this very informative message. I never heard of Lejonklou and missed the fact that Concerto is a dealer. I had a look and it seems very interesting. I will give Alex in Concerto a call in the next week or so and ask is he can set me up for a demo with a few of the suggestions you have made. I'd be keen to test the phono stages side by side and also the Selekt (which i am familiar with) vs the Boazu above. Also noted your points about the Karousel and Keel. Really appreciate your help! Billy

On 17/10/2021 at 11:37, akamatsu said:

Please keep in mind that the Selekt will be getting the Organik DAC at some point.

Has this been confirmed by Linn? Curious because I think it's been speculated upon but I had not seen whether or not it was confirmed to be in the works. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, Elad Repooc said:

Has this been confirmed by Linn? Curious because I think it's been speculated upon but I had not seen whether or not it was confirmed to be in the works. 

Someone did post here an interview with, I believe it was Phil Budd, saying such.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Billy Collins said:

Hi Thomas, thank you for this very informative message. I never heard of Lejonklou and missed the fact that Concerto is a dealer. I had a look and it seems very interesting. I will give Alex in Concerto a call in the next week or so and ask is he can set me up for a demo with a few of the suggestions you have made. I'd be keen to test the phono stages side by side and also the Selekt (which i am familiar with) vs the Boazu above. Also noted your points about the Karousel and Keel. Really appreciate your help! Billy

Thomas is a sagacious fellow with good taste.  His advice is sound.  You don't need a 100% Linn based system.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

The Urika 2 will only work if you are using an Exakt capable Linn unit which would be Selekt or above.

A side benefit of using the Urika 2 and Exaktlink is that you are no longer limited to the length of arm cable in where you locate your LP12. You could easily have it 30 metres from your DSM.

’troll

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

A side benefit of using the Urika 2 and Exaktlink is that you are no longer limited to the length of arm cable in where you locate your LP12. You could easily have it 30 metres from your DSM.

’troll

I just thought I should mention that I have a customer who has a 30 foot pair of Linn Black interconnects I made for him running from his turntable/Lejonklou Slipsik MM phono stage to his amplifier on another floor.  No problem whatsoever.  Actually the output stages of Linn and Lejonklou analog preamps and phono stages are such that long cables have not been a problem, even 50 foot cables have been used in some of our installations with good results.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I just thought I should mention that I have a customer who has a 30 foot pair of Linn Black interconnects I made for him running from his turntable/Lejonklou Slipsik MM phono stage to his amplifier on another floor.  No problem whatsoever.  Actually the output stages of Linn and Lejonklou analog preamps and phono stages are such that long cables have not been a problem, even 50 foot cables have been used in some of our installations with good results.

I recall speaking to Bill Miller around the time the Kairn was launched and he said it would easily handle 10m interconnects. 

‘troll