Really short RCA interconnects?

Hi all,

I've searched this forum on this topic and just finding the standard recommendation of 1.2m for best sound. And it may be as strict as that, however I'm curious as to the significance of using, say 1.5ft or 1.0ft? I read that Paulsurround used 1.5ft at one point. In relative terms just how much of a drop off are talking here? I'm driving Espeks and Ninkas. I'm really trying to better manage the spaghetti behind my 4 aktiv Dynamik AV-5125's in the rack. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Use whatever length is appropriate. You won't hear any difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Are you asking about performance potentially getting worse if analogue interconnects are shorter? The difference will be negligible but if anything shorter = better.

(If we're talking about digital interconnects then there are at least theoretical reasons that the same may not be true.

• Like 2

Back in the day when I was running 17 channels of amplification for my Aktiv Linn surround system, I required 9 pairs of Linn silver RCA interconnects 

At $400 per pair for Linn silvers, I was looking at ways of reducing the costs. My Linn dealer suggested that I order a number of Linn silver interconnect plugs, cut the standard  1.2 meter Linn silvers in half, to 0.6 meters, and they would solder the new Linn silver connectors for me. The Linn silver interconnect plugs were $200 for a set of 4. This allowed me to have 2 pairs of 0.6 meter Linn silvers for $600 compared to $800 for 2 pairs of 1.2 meter interconnects.

‘This solution worked well for me with the system I had at the time, I did not notice any difference in performance 

Edited by Paulssurround

I did a very similar thing to Paul, bought some Linn silver cable by the metre and then used WBT connectors that I soldered up. I was using 30cm lengths as jumpers or daisy chains. I now use 1.2m Silvers ( I replaced the short ones as cheap used 1.2m became available over a long period of time). I cannot say that I noticed any difference at all - with one or two exceptions - I could detect a difference when my soldering was below par. I just went back and re made those lengths. 

In my experience the soldering and the quality of the connector itself is far more important than the length (at least it is up to 1.5m - I don't have anything longer than this).

• Upvote 2

I have short RCA interconnects, 0.5m, mostly to reduce the cable clutter at the back. Also a small cost saving.

The only problem is that the soldered connections are a bit more vulnerable to damage, fracture, as there is no slack in the system. Take care if you move kit around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dasher said:

I did a very similar thing to Paul, bought some Linn silver cable by the metre and then used WBT connectors that I soldered up. I was using 30cm lengths as jumpers or daisy chains. I now use 1.2m Silvers ( I replaced the short ones as cheap used 1.2m became available over a long period of time). I cannot say that I noticed any difference at all - with one or two exceptions - I could detect a difference when my soldering was below par. I just went back and re made those lengths. 

In my experience the soldering and the quality of the connector itself is far more important than the length (at least it is up to 1.5m - I don't have anything longer than this).

I was also told by my Linn dealer that the soldering was a very important aspect to getting the best results and says that he is careful to ensure that he solders at a lower temperature to not overheat the solder and the joint.

‘However, he also insisted that I buy the genuine Linn Silver RCA interconnect plugs.

I was able to save a little bit, but also benefited from less cable clutter