Adding a remote control to older amplifier?

robbie010

Anyone done this?

I’m loving the Sugden A21 that I have been using for the last few months but laziness is leading to look around at other options. 

How difficult would it be to add a motorized volume pot and remote?

A DIY job or something that needs to be tackled by a pro!?

5 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Anyone done this?

I’m loving the Sugden A21 that I have been using for the last few months but laziness is leading to look around at other options. 

To do it properly, it would be cheaper to buy a series two after selling yours. Also, the S2 is better with more current delivery And dynamics. 
I wouldn’t mess with your amp. Intention might be honourable but would devalue it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Anyone done this?

I built a remote controlled unit based on imported boards from China that I found on eBay - it gives me motorised volume control and 4 way input selection (RCA sockets), plus mains on/off. I built it into a small project box as a stand alone "passive pre" rather than attempting to add it to an amp - not sure that the latter is a great idea, especially if the amp has any resale value. It all works very nicely - I recently had to replace the mains relay because the original relay failed, and also added a snubber across the switched output to kill any arcing on the mains relay contacts, but otherwise the original boards are still doing fine after 4 years or so.

• Like 1

I just keep a couple of nymphs. One to change the volume, one to pour spirits.

I wouldn't hack apart a nice original Suggy, though. I'm not that debauched...

• Upvote 1

I agree with the others here. It's straightforward enough and the parts aren't that costly. But I wouldn't hack about an original A21: first, because the value of it would be stuffed totally, and second, because it just wouldn't feel right.

Tony's idea of a separate box would work, but then you'd be running the Suggie with the gain right up, and the whole shebang would almost certainly add some noise and degrade things a tiny bit.

Solution 1: Buy a different amp. Solution 2: Enjoy the exercise and don't be a lazy git 😆

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lego motor and rubber pulley!

• Haha 4

I did it on my denon pma 250 back int’ day, works a treat!!

58 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

Or, a very long stick and a lump of bluetack.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tackleberry said:

Rub what...? :shock:

My Fisher has no remote. The only thing I feed it direct (well via an external phono stage) is the Record Pickup. CD Player, Computer, Raspberry Pi and SBT go via the Project S2 DAC that has a remote control to switch source and control input volume. So this effectivley gives me remote controlled volume and source.

The DAC cost me £300 a motorised Volume control would probably not cost much less.

21 hours ago, robbie010 said:

Anyone done this?

How about getting off your arse and not getting Type 2 Diabetes?

Just a thought.

• Haha 4

Simple solution .. put the rack to your left or right hand side and use this to turn the volume up and down .. 

STRONG ALUMINIUM PICK UP REACHING TOOL 750MM MOBILITY ASSISTANCE PICKER GRABBER MAGNETIC FINISH GREEN JEM (Pack of 2)

• Haha 4

I've got the same issue with my 2 favourite preamps - a Concordant valve pre and a Densen DM20 solid state pre. Neither has the essential remote control capability. 

So, I run long interconnects to them and have them sitting on a cabinet next to my listening chair. I just reach sideways and twiddle. :^

.... I used to be fussy about cables, but some long (5m) cheapo ones sound disconcertingly fine. O.o A 5 metre run from DAC to preamp, and another 5m from preamp to power amps. 

The cables from pre to power need to be well shielded to avoid hum.

Of course, if you sit in the middle of a long sofa, then this solution would not be so good. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, lazycat said:

How about getting off your arse and not getting Type 2 Diabetes?

Just a thought.

Damn it....... if only I'd known that before being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 10 years ago! :doh:

• Haha 2