Adding a remote control to older amplifier?

robbie010

Looks like a different amp is the way to go here!

24 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Damn it....... if only I'd known that before being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 10 years ago! :doh:

Hehe. I can beat that by 7 years.

But it's not a p*ssing contest.

Well, it isn't anymore....

• Haha 2

Oh yes. 

Super Wammer

seen Darko on Youtube mentioning microsoft surface dial if you use ROON, needs a bit of software to run it.

He reviews a more expensive option

Edited by Lee M

Super Dealer
9 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

I've got the same issue with my 2 favourite preamps - a Concordant valve pre and a Densen DM20 solid state pre. Neither has the essential remote control capability. 

I'd definitely add a remote to a Concordant. Did it recently to a Rose pre with great results. Decently done I don't believe it will affect value

• Like 1

Klassik mostly uses older amplifiers which do not have remotes.  That said, Klassik rarely sees the need for one even though Klassik mostly listens to classical music where the music can be dynamic.  Klassik is usually pretty good at knowing where to set the volume.  In the rare cases where Klassik makes a mistake, El Klassiko has to run to the amplifier to change the volume.  xD  There are albums where getting a consistent volume level is a bit difficult such as a CD Klassik has which has organ, harpsichord, and clavichord music on it.  The Clavichord tracks are much quieter than the others so adjusting the volume during and after those tracks is generally preferred, but this requires some speed.  Of course, just hitting pause on the CD player remote allows for a more leisurely pace when it comes to volume adjustments.  ;)

Klassik is aware of boxes where one can plug an input through that does allow for volume control for that input.  This would theortically work as long as one is not trying to control the volume of something internal within an integrated amplifier like the integrated phono pre-amp or the tuner.  If you're listening to records, you're probably used to getting up a lot so that should not be a problem.  ;)  This is a US spec part.  Klassik tried finding a UK spec one.  The only one Klassik could find is the 'Keene Volume Control', but that seems to be discontinued.  It might be available to buy used though.

Whether these add noise to the signal is certainly a legitimate question.  The quality control on this US-spec one seems to be a bit lacking.  It certainly looks like a Chinese special with the inputs and outputs reversed (at least they are marked in a reversed fashion as well ...or so we hope xD) and the Engrish spellings.  :S  that does not necessarily means it will add noise though, but Klassik cannot say because as mentioned earlier, Klassik has no use for this.

https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-rohs/dp/79X4195

79X4195-40.jpg?01AD=3zy5Ubb9VVWUh3x6TaEf

Joe-4.26.20-hvvbhsdbhvljkv-2-1536x1152.j

Super Dealer
21 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Klassik mostly uses older amplifiers which do not have remotes.  That said, Klassik rarely sees the need for one even though Klassik mostly listens to classical music where the music can be dynamic.  Klassik is usually pretty good at knowing where to set the volume.  In the rare cases where Klassik makes a mistake, El Klassiko has to run to the amplifier to change the volume.  xD  There are albums where getting a consistent volume level is a bit difficult such as a CD Klassik has which has organ, harpsichord, and clavichord music on it.  The Clavichord tracks are much quieter than the others so adjusting the volume during and after those tracks is generally preferred, but this requires some speed.  Of course, just hitting pause on the CD player remote allows for a more leisurely pace when it comes to volume adjustments.  ;)

Klassik is aware of boxes where one can plug an input through that does allow for volume control for that input.  This would theortically work as long as one is not trying to control the volume of something internal within an integrated amplifier like the integrated phono pre-amp or the tuner.  If you're listening to records, you're probably used to getting up a lot so that should not be a problem.  ;)  This is a US spec part.  Klassik tried finding a UK spec one.  The only one Klassik could find is the 'Keene Volume Control', but that seems to be discontinued.  It might be available to buy used though.

Whether these add noise to the signal is certainly a legitimate question.  The quality control on this US-spec one seems to be a bit lacking.  It certainly looks like a Chinese special with the inputs and outputs reversed (at least they are marked in a reversed fashion as well ...or so we hope xD) and the Engrish spellings.  :S  that does not necessarily means it will add noise though, but Klassik cannot say because as mentioned earlier, Klassik has no use for this.

https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-rohs/dp/79X4195

79X4195-40.jpg?01AD=3zy5Ubb9VVWUh3x6TaEf

Joe-4.26.20-hvvbhsdbhvljkv-2-1536x1152.jing bett

You can of course add 'remote control' in the widest sense to any amp with a box like this but in most cases you'll see a fall off in quality because a cheap pot is used. If doing a professional internal mod, there is a major opportunity to upgrade the existing pot to something better. Eg the Rose pre I mentioned has an Alps blue pot, popular, but limited in performance and this can be swapped out for the much better performing TKD motorpot. Remote isn't always about laziness. Some members may be less fit or able than others, or in my case, when I'm working on my bench I can aim the remote at a corner of my studio workshop and change volume if someone arrives or the phone rings.

26 minutes ago, Juancho said:

You can of course add 'remote control' in the widest sense to any amp with a box like this but in most cases you'll see a fall off in quality because a cheap pot is used. 

Sí señor, it's certainly a possibility that such a box will impair the sound quality audibly or inaudibly.  Klassik is not inspired by the obvious lack of quality control that is visible from the image of that MCM US-spec box.  Then again, it's not too expensive, it does not require any modification of the amplifier, and something like that can probably be purchased even cheaper used.  It might work well enough for some people and for some uses at the very least.

I have to say that an old boy like me needs to keep his step rate up so getting up to change LPs or CDs or alter the volume presents no problems whatsoever and forms part of my daily work out (in fact on some days it is my only work out) 💪

• Upvote 1