I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...

ANADROL-50

9 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Do you find no humour in someone saying "Vibration is very important" and then telling and showing us a cradle for his CD player, whilst his unsuspended turntable sits at the edge of a floor mounted cabinet right next to 3 bass bins?

Do you also think there's no humour in someone spending many thousands of pounds on amplification and main speakers from one company and telling us he did this for the synergy and everything working together as well as it can, whilst having his main speakers in front of him and 6 sub-woofers stacked behind him?

Does it not bring the slightest flicker of a smile to your face when someone has spent many thousands of pounds on the equipment in a room, including a hugely expensive CD player and a costly turntable and yet there's no sign of any CD nor vinyl storage and very little furniture in general - to the point of it sounding echoey when 2 people have a conversation in the room?

If, on the other hand you do find some humour in this, what word in the English dictionary is a good one for describing a person that makes you smile or laugh?

None of this has any reference whatsoever to my point.

My point refers simply to the AUP here, and the requirement (requirement, not request) to abide by it.

Critique is fine as it adds balance. If you put out youtube videos, I think should expect some critique of your system.  

Not everyone needs to spend anything like that sort of money to enjoy their music.

• Like 1

Some speakers companies believe an array of subs helps, like Vandersteen, and not because it means they can sell more of them. Do a quick search, there are many explanations why. You may not believe them, but there are reasons.

In this months Hifi Critic Martin Colloms reviews a $1M system and with big, big speakers costing more than this system, it is not that unusual. At least he sounds like he has been thorough in arriving at his equipment choices.

I have had the good fortune to hear some really expensive systems and believe me there are operating in a league one can only dream of.  Yes there are super expensive systems that do not float my boat but there are a lot that do sound superb. Kondo + Vox for example....plus other 'bits'. I will never own them, but I believe they represent a pinnacle of audio.

Do you not dream of a Ferrari, Lamborghini despite driving a hot hatch?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, George 47 said:

I drive a 16 years old Volvo estate.

I dream of a slightly newer Volvo estate.

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Cue Monty Python, four Yorkshiremen...

Edited by rabski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have no issues with 6 subs.

6 REL subs on the other hand…

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, George 47 said:

No I don't actually, not that I even have a hot hatch. 

Even if I had millions of £s, I would not buy this system or a Ferrari, Lamborghini.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, rabski said:

Cue Monty Python, four Yorkshiremen...

Lol. 

My post is only partly in jest, though.

I don't crave high-end 'stuff' of any description. In fact, it mostly leaves me cold. If I had £300k to spend on a system, I'd put together a system for £10k and give £290k to family and friends. 

Without wanting to come across as a petty, inverted snob...anyone can spend money. I like things that are more valuable than that. That's why the WAM show is miles better than something like Munich - creativity, personal investment, years spent experimenting and becoming your own expert, hundreds of miles up and down motorways to collect rare / interesting pieces, finding the value before prices go silly (big direct drives and Garrards /EMTs, anyone?), blind alleys, sideways jumps and major breakthroughs; it's the love and the passion for the hobby, and the nerdy lengths that we go to, that make it rewarding to me. Being able to afford anything just feels a bit deflating. I want it to be difficult, lol.

It's cool that the guy wants to share his experiences, but I bet his experiences from before he had £300k to blow were a good deal more interesting (to me). 

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

One with the optional direction indicators...? :whistle:

• Haha 1

Just now, Tony_J said:

One with the optional direction indicators...? :whistle:

Guilty as charged. It has been pointed out to me, by my kids, that I only bother to indicate when I don't actually know where I'm going - like some sort of instruction to self. Fortunately, I'm usually going very slowly, so other road users get to work it out before it actually happens.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, lindsayt said:

The bloke in that video is a comedian.

Talks about the importance of vibration and has his non-suspended turntable on a floor mounted stand next to his stack of bass bins / sub woofers.

How about getting his TT as far away from all speakers as possible?

And what's with the sub woofers behind him? Integration?

And he says that sub-woofers are the best value for money upgrade you can have? Surely that depends on what speakers you've got already? Some of us like buying / making speakers with proper sized woofers already built in.

He also talks nonsense about the CD player being the most important item. Digital sources sound so similar - in my experience - that it's not worth agonising over which one to buy. Not when compared to speakers or analogue sources.

His speakers have 2 x 10" woofers in a bass reflex. They're not going to be the last word in bass quality.

His room is too empty and echoey. The echoes are quite apparent at the 13 minute mark in the video.

There is a lot of scope for getting a better sounding system than his whilst spending about 2% of what he's spent.

When does something like a speaker driver get to the best it can be and the extra is what? How much do the speaker drivers cost to build in a 300 grand speaker?

Asthetics? Finish? Name? Wood used?

Even the most costly systems will sound bad if the room is full of echo.

What's the true difference in digital from the most modest well designed product compared to ridiculous multi box solutions.

@TIUat 13.38 I tend to agree 🤣🤣

Edited by Bokke
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

I still can't get my head around the five! Box CD player.....

So you take a CD that anyone can buy/own and put it in a cd player & it reads it and plays music👍 What difference does it possibly make sending it thru other boxes of electronics to finally go to the pre/power and on to the speakers. Surely the more you mess about with it the more chance of making a bugger of it.

I just think it's a load of bollocksimage.png.c928a5e59fbf32432ef9ae1d3f201087.png

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

So you take a CD that anyone can buy/own and put it in a cd player & it reads it and plays music👍 What difference does it possibly make sending it thru other boxes of electronics to finally go to the pre/power and on to the speakers. Surely the more you mess about with it the more chance of making a bugger of it.

I just think it's a load of bollocks

Well, to be fair, there are certainly measurable potential improvments in some aspects, though not massive ones.

Separating power supplies inherently ought to reduce noise and interference pickup. A separate DAC makes sense, if for no other reason than future upgrades. So, assuming funding permits, I can see the sense in a transport and a DAC, both with external power supplies. To my mind (and ears), the jury is out when it comes to clocks. That, I really don't see the point in when there is just one transport and one DAC.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

I don't crave high-end 'stuff' of any description. In fact, it mostly leaves me cold. If I had £300k to spend on a system, I'd put together a system for £10k and give £290k to family and friends. 

And it is at times like these you should remember who your friends are....:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

I just think it's a load of bollocks

seems like it's a transport / power suppy and a pair of mono dacs with a seperate power supply. looks to be around £90k :)

this system is very expensive, but nothing in the great scheme of things really. there's a chap i speak to on facebook (marine aquarium group oddly) his speakers are wilson wamm with wilson subsonic subs. around the $800,000 mark. then all the dan d'agostino gear, and lots of lovely dCS digital transport stuff. crazy money.

Edited by belloire

• Tony_J changed the title to I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...