I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...

ANADROL-50

It’s funny; whilst expensive systems aren’t necessarily a guarantee of good sound quality, the very best hi-fi systems I have ever heard have all been expensive…

• Like 3

Just now, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Nah I just don't get it mate 🤔

Just joshing ya mate. Make FA sense to me except the separate DAC and PSUs. Even then, do the marginal advantages gained by housing PSUs and DACs seperately outweigh the additional length and links in the signal chain? not to mention more points for noise to enter the system...

Not likely IMHO. But it does look boss!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, hearingisbelieving said:

Just joshing ya mate. Make FA sense to me except the separate DAC and PSUs. Even then, do the marginal advantages gained by housing PSUs and DACs seperately outweigh the additional length and links in the signal chain? not to mention more points for noise to enter the system...

I know mate 😛 

Thats my thinking too it needs to be as simple as possible but it does look amazing christ knows what that lot weights my stand alone player is 23kg on it's own.

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, hearingisbelieving said:

I’m currently running a 4 box cdt/valve DAC setup with external psu for each ….and loving it 😁

• Sad 1

On 19/10/2021 at 17:12, Southeastern said:

Its easy to criticise and mock others, but unless you've put yourself out there to provide content for the hobby and interest, then you just sound like a numpty imo.

Wheres your video? I'd love to see your room!

21 hours ago, Southeastern said:

4. I don't, but the phrase "Judge yourself before others" comes to mind.

What's your judgement of your contribution to this thread?

On 19/10/2021 at 16:05, lindsayt said:

The bloke in that video is a comedian.

Talks about the importance of vibration and has his non-suspended turntable on a floor mounted stand next to his stack of bass bins / sub woofers.

How about getting his TT as far away from all speakers as possible?

And what's with the sub woofers behind him? Integration?

And he says that sub-woofers are the best value for money upgrade you can have? Surely that depends on what speakers you've got already? Some of us like buying / making speakers with proper sized woofers already built in.

He also talks nonsense about the CD player being the most important item. Digital sources sound so similar - in my experience - that it's not worth agonising over which one to buy. Not when compared to speakers or analogue sources.

His speakers have 2 x 10" woofers in a bass reflex. They're not going to be the last word in bass quality.

His room is too empty and echoey. The echoes are quite apparent at the 13 minute mark in the video.

There is a lot of scope for getting a better sounding system than his whilst spending about 2% of what he's spent.

I look at that video and think to myself the hifi dealer had a wet dream when he walked through his door .

I think people do not have to spend that kind of money to enjoy music as long as they think about how they put there setup together .

I personal think that chap in the video is about hifi snobbery and just worrying about having the best in the world where most people get just the same enjoyment from main stream hifi and lets face it the hifi is only as good as the recording you play on it and the room you play it in which most of us have living rooms we have to share with our family's . 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lindsayt said:

What's your judgement of your contribution to this thread?

More than yours.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

I’m currently running a 4 box cdt/valve DAC setup with external psu for each ….and loving it 😁

:doh::off:

4 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

:doh::off:

He likes to keep his DACs in a row...:pop:

• Haha 1

There seem to be 2 "contributors" to this thread that have failed to take note of Rabski's reminder of the need to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). I would suggest turning down the personal abuse to zero before one of the mods decides to turn it down for you.

• Like 2

I too wish I had his HiFi budget, I wish I had a lot of things that other people have, and if they acquired them honestly then I don't begrudge them. I do however feel p1ssed off because it seems that circumstances conspire against me ever making the best out of what I already have (with which I could be very happy): injuries & illness preventing redecoration of my bungalow, CH not working and NOBODY even replying to requests for help to get it working, people taking deposits for building work and then not getting on with it ... etc etc. The only progress I've made recently is in the kitchen, where Mr Gas Safe installed my LPG cooker (replacing the old fashioned and horribly inefficient electric cooker).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure what I find more distasteful about this video - the conspicuous consumption or the bloke's uncovered legs and white socks.

I don't envy his hi-fi budget one bit as it's perfectly possible to have a totally immersive listening experience without spending stupid money on the gear (and I disagree with virtually everything he says).

Don't get me wrong - I own and enjoy a moderately high-end system myself - but rather than employing just a little imagination and drawing on their accumulated experience of listening to music, the ultra high-end fraternity seem to want everything handed to them on a plate.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, HugoZ said:

Not sure what I find more distasteful about this video - the conspicuous consumption or the bloke's uncovered legs and white socks.

I don't envy his hi-fi budget one bit as it's perfectly possible to have a totally immersive listening experience without spending stupid money on the gear (and I disagree with virtually everything he says).

Don't get me wrong - I own and enjoy a moderately high-end system myself - but rather than employing just a little imagination and drawing on their accumulated experience of listening to music, the ultra high-end fraternity seem to want everything handed to them on a plate.

Spot on Hugo👍👍👍👍

In reply to the OP... I like the guy. He doesn't come across as a snob - never mentioned the cost of anything in his system once, he likes music and goes to concerts and just wants to replicate that experience in his home.

He admits to mistake he has made in the past and shares them to help others avoid making the same mistakes. He seems to know more than a few details about each bit of his kit and has a decent explanation for why he bought the kit he did ie he had a plan. so he isn't just handing over wads of cash to dealer and saying "im rich, give me the most expensive stuff you've got so I can brag about it to my mates"!

Like others, I think money could be wisely invested in room treatment but maybe it has already been. If I was spending at that level I would also consider power regeneration but again maybe he has this but its not mentioned.

I'm also skeptical about the subs - the need for them in the first place given the massive speakers and his room is large but not a concert hall, and also their integration. Who's to say for sure though that he isn't right?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• Tony_J changed the title to I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...