Armstrong 730

rab1991

Here is my Armstrong 730 pre amplifier, that I'm thinking of upgrading, I've had it a few years now and think it's time for something else now I've upgraded else where. Not sure if these sort of posts are allowed but due to the rarity, I'm unsure how to value it so any help would be appreciated or just any more information about it.

1876573472_PXL_20211019_1813033292.thumb.jpg.d6b8fc01873418700e3dd9a26da7cc21.jpg

I think you could be looking at £500 plus

cheers i was thinking around the £5-600, I'm just thinking i would get a better sounding pre for my money than this. Have you ever heard one compared to other ones in it's price range

yeah it's a shame, i did ask but the guy had no idea. That's the thing, I'm trying to find the "weak" part of my system but have never heard other preamps in my system so don't really know where to look next.

5 minutes ago, rab1991 said:

yeah it's a shame, i did ask but the guy had no idea. That's the thing, I'm trying to find the "weak" part of my system but have never heard other preamps in my system so don't really know where to look next.

You could start off by filling in your profile. We'd then have a better idea.

Mind you, be prepared for an avalanche of people happy to spend your money for you!

7 minutes ago, rabski said:

You could start off by filling in your profile. We'd then have a better idea.

Mind you, be prepared for an avalanche of people happy to spend your money for you!

think i've updated it correctly.

ha i need some to be able to spend first

Weak link? I'd say probably the preamp. No matter how good at the time, it's a 1970s design based on an integrated circuit gain stage. Never come across your XTC, but their stuff is generally quite well regarded.

Where are you based?

That's what i thought, and based on it's value as a rarity, i could find something better at the same sort of value.  The XTC was a side project of orelle I believe, classed to be more "hi-end". There's a small thread on pink fish (not sure if i can post a link to their site) about them with a small review from hi-fi world about the bigger pow-1.

I'm near Birmingham, I just don't know anyone else who is into hi-fi to listen to etc.