Celestion Ditton 44 price?

Headcoat

As ever the case I want to try other speakers.

Have read quite a bit about the Celestion Ditton 44's and think they would be to my taste.

All window shopping for now, but curious what people estimate a reasonable price to be a. from the Wam or E-bay and b. from a professional hi-fi reseller?

And are there different versions, if so what might the cosmetic and audio differences be?

TIA

Super Wammer

I recall a dialogue not long ago - possibly on Facebook not here? - about 442 models or 44 mark 2, and can’t be sure what versions there were.  Unfortunately, after four decades the variation in condition and desirability makes estimates next to impossible.  

These snippets from the 1980 Hifi Year Book show the last version I remember.  I hope they help your search. 

CC51069B-BFF5-4466-BDFA-510EA1114EDF.thumb.jpeg.ff2dafecc0a04d96d44660ab08c42809.jpegC88E3B78-3FAD-4F51-BC9B-2E7DE523CAD4.thumb.jpeg.2fe4e8f20c85d83b979fcb0225f2288b.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I have heard many speakers that are now classed as “vintage”

Celestions in various guises being one of the brands that were sort after by early audiophiles.. The 44 is a good all rounder .. The HF 2000 tweeter gives a lovely top end with the 5” mids giving a warmth to vocals ..Make sure you have a good look and listen to a pair that you wish to purchase .. early speakers used foam suspension that was prone to degrading over time .. £300 should get you a decent pair .. I thought someone was selling a pair on the Wam a while back ..if you’ve got a bit extra dosh try a pair of Gale 401’s . These use the same tweeter with a peerless 5” mid . But with 2 x 8” base drivers in each cab  .. so long as your amp is up to it . Need minimum of 60watts .. I use my Gales with a Sonus Faber Musica integrated.. The music is  stunning when you think the Gales are now over 40 years old ..

Again with any late 70s early 80s vintage speaker you need to check the foam suspension.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've owned Ditton 44's can't say much about them as I got them in a trade just before a house move so didn't get much time with them till I realised they wouldn't fit the space. 

The one that really did impress me is just the sheer character of the low end, and ditto to the post above £300 should get you a very good condition pair, I sold mine for £150 needing a quick sale and it had a shitty emulsion black finish put on by previous owner. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Browsing on eBay, and this rather nice pair look like the later version I remember.   They had black, smooth grille cloth, and veneered baffles.  Earlier ones had grey speckled cloth and probably painted baffles - much older.  

20C35CB6-3F31-4D51-B9D1-ABD35919E751.jpeg.72f58689319a4ceac0709d35dc6b2251.jpeg

On 20/10/2021 at 10:48, bigrod said:

.if you’ve got a bit extra dosh try a pair of Gale 401’s .

I had the 401s for a good few years and they were ousted by a pair of Rogers PRO 9TL transmission lines.. Check for foam rot on bass and mid units (not so easy with the As with their chrome ends) and only buy them if you have an amp that will deliver about 100 watts into less than 4 ohms .. they drop below 4 ohms and people fry tweeters with lesser amps (running into clipping) or fry their amplifiers.

You will also need a decent set of stands with the Gales (mind you the same could be said of the 44s but a few bricks to get them off the floor does a fair job) 

If your room is big enough for the 44s then consider the 66s but they are taller and more expensive .. Also look at the IMF and Cambridge R50 transmission lines .. try to get to hear them if you can.  

The Celestions present a nice load to the amp and will work on a wide variety of amps no bother (unlike the Gales) 

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 1